PDA

View Full Version : 825i rattle noise from engine area

ricksdad
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
First time poster here. I have an 825i with 16 hours on it. It has developed an annoying metal/rattle type sound coming from the engine area. I had not noticed this sound until the 10 hr service was performed at the JD dealership. I let them know about it when I got home and noticed the rattling sound. By the way, on the 10 hr service, there was a problem when shifting to forward gear. It would not always go into gear properly. They made adjustments to the shift linkage and also found that the engine idle rpm was way too high and lowered it. I carried the Gator back in this week and they kept it for 3 days. They hear the rattle too, but cannot find the source. They told me to take it home and to let them know if it gets any worse. Bottom line, I'm not happy about having to deal with this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

jonny2guns4u
02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I have the same rattle. Kind of sounds like mine is right behind and underneath the passenger seat. I figured I'd track it down when it gets warmer. My other concen is the drive train noise that I'm hearing. It may just be normal gear noise but with all these guys talking about bad Difs I fear that mine (one of the early ones) Delivered Nov. 3 has the problem they are all talking about.

If I figure ut the rattle I'll let you know what I find.

ricksdad
02-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Much appreciated. I'll let you know if I find out anything as well.

gumboduck
02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
My 825i has the same rattle, it sounds like it is coming from underneath the seat I have looked all over for it. My gator has a bench seat, the other 2 I have rode in have high-back bucket seats and I do not hear the noise. I have been wandering if it was just in models with the bucket seats.

BarnDoor
02-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Front driveshaft. Its the center bearing under the cupholder. Already had mine replaced. It made the noise in forward, reverse, and neutral when revving the engine. To find the noise, I lifted my 825 with an auto lift, loosened the two gold bolts about 1/4", and had someone rev the engine while I pushed up on these bolts. Originally, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I first thought it was coming from the clutch, it almost resonated throughout the entire vehicle. Dealer installed new driveshaft, no problems since.

jonny2guns4u
02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Front driveshaft. Its the center bearing under the cupholder. Already had mine replaced. It made the noise in forward, reverse, and neutral when revving the engine. To find the noise, I lifted my 825 with an auto lift, loosened the two gold bolts about 1/4", and had someone rev the engine while I pushed up on these bolts. Originally, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I first thought it was coming from the clutch, it almost resonated throughout the entire vehicle. Dealer installed new driveshaft, no problems since.

I'm confused. Why would the Bearing or Shaft rattle if the Machine was in Neutral? It would not be truning if it were in neutral would it? How can it rattle if it's not turning? I'm not doubting you in the least but I just don't understand. Please explain.

BarnDoor
02-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Because the driveshaft is directly mounted to the engine. There are no rubber isolators between the engine block and the driveshaft. I would have never thought it was the driveshaft, I just knew it sounded like it was under the floor board. It really helped when I lifted the gator above my head on my car lift, I was able to really hone in on the noise. Does yours rattle in neutral? LOCK THE PARKING BRAKE!!, climb underneath, loosen the two gold (14mm I think) bolts under the center of the vehicle about 1/4 inch, start the engine, you should be able to lift up on those bolts while revving the engine IN NEUTRAL!! The noise should go away or at least change. This is supposedly a know issue to Deere, and is definitely a known issue to this forum. Im surprised your dealer has not been informed.

ricksdad
02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Good Information. I will be talking to my local JD dealership tomorrow. They seemed to be stumped about the issue when they had it and had looked at everything. They also said they submitted an e-mail inquiry up the service chain, but had not gotten a response after several days. Hopefully your info will help get some resolution. I'll let you guys know.

BarnDoor
02-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I should have actually said the engine is directly connected to the transmission (solid, no rubber), which is directly connected to the driveshaft (solid, no rubber). While the engine and transmission have rubber mounts, this driveshaft does not. So, you can understand vibrations would be transmitted from the engine/transmission to the driveshaft and its mounts (pillow block type bearings, in the automotive world they are referred to as center or hanger bearings. In the ag world they call them pillow block bearings) - causing the rattle. I think mine had like 14 miles on it when it started.

dieselsmith
02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
I think the diff are rubber mounted too? I sure hope so cause my front diff can be wiggled.

BarnDoor
02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Which machine do you have? I don't think so on the 825i. I'll have to check and get back to you.

dieselsmith
02-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah I have an 825. I was cleaning out the snow Saturday after I rode it around and just grabbed the axles and started wiggling them around and the diff moved around. Try it, i'm pretty sure it's rubber mounted.

Jeff Upchurch
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
I bet its a rattle noise from the Front drive shaft supplying power to the front Differential , I just took deliever of a 2011 825 I two weeks ago , I heard it when I test drove it and its Twice as bad since I had them put a full cab on it last week , They even stated they replaced the fron Shaft and bearing assembley going to the Front differentail , I have a Lift at my home garage , and when its up in the air running and in Gear about 10 MPH the nosie is easiely heard and identified from this drive shaft , I even greased the outside of the shaft and loaded it with a wood handle the noise wnet away , If I drive it in Four wheel drive locked in the noise is gone most likely because the play where this drive shaft goes together is taken up , silencing the nosie , . with the engine off and in Neutral grap this fron shaft and I bet you can wiggle it a bunch and if its like mine reproduce this noise , My dealer has been great to try to help and even with SWAGGING Scientific Widl A** guess , Replacing the whole assembley with bearing support, Which really does nothing but put the same parts designed the same way with the same fit into the play , Guess what I have the same result , Its not up to the communications with my John Deere dealer and the John deere support team he has to work with , Im gonna give them a week or so and see if they contact me back and if Not I will be terribly dissapointed at that point
Jeff

Jeff Upchurch
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
I bet its a rattle noise from the Front drive shaft supplying power to the front Differential , I just took deliever of a 2011 825 I two weeks ago , I heard it when I test drove it and its Twice as bad since I had them put a full cab on it last week , They even stated they replaced the fron Shaft and bearing assembley going to the Front differentail , I have a Lift at my home garage , and when its up in the air running and in Gear about 10 MPH the nosie is easiely heard and identified from this drive shaft , I even greased the outside of the shaft and loaded it with a wood handle the noise wnet away , If I drive it in Four wheel drive locked in the noise is gone most likely because the play where this drive shaft goes together is taken up , silencing the nosie , . with the engine off and in Neutral grap this fron shaft and I bet you can wiggle it a bunch and if its like mine reproduce this noise , My dealer has been great to try to help and even with SWAGGING Scientific Widl A** guess , Replacing the whole assembley with bearing support, Which really does nothing but put the same parts designed the same way with the same fit into the play , Guess what I have the same result , Its not up to the communications with my John Deere dealer and the John deere support team he has to work with , Im gonna give them a week or so and see if they contact me back and if Not I will be terribly dissapointed at that point
Jeff

jeepon02
09-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I am also having the exact same problem. took delivery of an 825i with full glass cab last Thursday. Everything was smooth and quite. at about 18-20 miles on the machine it started to develop a bad rattle noise that seems to be coming from either up front or under the floor of the gator. I did notice that the Dealer had put on rubber mounts from the drive shaft by the passenger rear tire, and on the block under the floor where to two 14mm gold bolts are. the rattle is not there at all when in neutral and rev the engine so its definitely in the drive train. you can really notice it when you coast it down a hill with the motor off. I still cant pin point the problem. We have a great dealer and i know they will take care of it if they can find it... anyone else find know what is making this noise, what gets me is it was quite for the first 20 miles so it seems as something has loosened ???

Thanks all

GATORDONE
09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Deere has come out with a new driveshaft that has a rubber isolated bearings. Contact your dealer and they should be able to help you. Tell them it is solution Number 87518.

Brad
09-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Mine also would not come out of reverse, especially on a hill. I had to disconnect the shift cable and use a wrench. LOUD clunk when it came out. Dealer called Deere and was told to adjust clutch and cable. Seemed to have worked. i'll keep you posted.

jeepon02
09-13-2011, 09:20 AM
Dealer is coming to get the Gator, said they ordered the front pumpkin and a new drive shaft - ill let you know next week.

wkdani
09-17-2011, 08:33 AM
My Deere Dealer installed the new and improved drive shaft yesterday and so far the noise is gone.

m1lkman
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to see what everyone's update was on their driveshaft situation. Has it been fixed to your satisfaction? I am looking at an 825i with a hard cab and will be putting a V-Plow on it and dont want any grinding happening..It would drive me crazy and I would have a bad case of buyer's remorse!! lol

Thanks and cheers

Keith

825joe
10-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I haven't heard anything in mine at all. Is it just a matter of time?? Should I have my dealer replace it to the new shaft?

m1lkman
10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
I haven't heard anything in mine at all. Is it just a matter of time?? Should I have my dealer replace it to the new shaft?

Tx Joe

Whoops. I didnt see you asked a question. My experience is that if the dealer can't reproduce the symptoms they probably wont replace the shaft unless it stipulates it. Good change you would get something in the mail from Deere though if it was that sort of warranty campaign.

dar4300
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Just got my gator 825i back from the dealer with the driveline replaced with the new one with the center bearing mounted in a rubber bushing.

trussman
11-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Received this today from my dealer, it might prove useful to some of you.

Subject: Gator - Driveshaft solution

Solution Number: 87518
Solution Summary: Driveline Noise While Driving or in Neutral - 625i, 825i, and 855D
Publication Date: Oct 17 2011
Problem or Situation :
The drive shaft which connects the EMFWD to the transmission produces a noise while at certain engine speeds (typically from 3,000 - 3,800 rpm).
Solution :
If the sound is only noticed while moving at slow speeds, make sure the battery tray is not touching the drive shaft. Refer to DTAC solution 87470 for more information.
If the battery tray is not contacting the drive shaft verify the 2 pillow block bearings securing the drive shaft are tight. If noise is still present, remove the drive shaft and inspect the two pillow block bearings. While the drive shaft is out of the machine test to verify the noise is gone. If the noise is still heard the EMFWD and front axle shafts should be inspected. If the noise is not present with the drive shaft removed, order new front drive shaft bearing AM142310. This new bearing is rubber isolated which absorbs vibration and noise coming through the drive shaft. The new bearing should be installed in place of the front bearing which is underneath the floor board of the operator station.
*Note* Install bearing AM142310 in the front location on the drive shaft ONLY. Installing a bearing in both locations of the drive shaft does not lower noise any further and could result in secondary part failures.

trussman
11-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Update, My JD dealer picked up my 825i yesterday and returned it today. Replaced the bearing with the new rubber isolated one and no noise.

allenflucas
11-23-2011, 07:09 PM
I have the same thing with the one I have.. I have heard that if they put washers under the pillow block bearings it will stop.. don't know haven't tryed it yet..

pahawi
12-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Received this today from my dealer, it might prove useful to some of you.

Subject: Gator - Driveshaft solution

Solution Number: 87518
Solution Summary: Driveline Noise While Driving or in Neutral - 625i, 825i, and 855D
Publication Date: Oct 17 2011
Problem or Situation :
The drive shaft which connects the EMFWD to the transmission produces a noise while at certain engine speeds (typically from 3,000 - 3,800 rpm).
Solution :
If the sound is only noticed while moving at slow speeds, make sure the battery tray is not touching the drive shaft. Refer to DTAC solution 87470 for more information.
If the battery tray is not contacting the drive shaft verify the 2 pillow block bearings securing the drive shaft are tight. If noise is still present, remove the drive shaft and inspect the two pillow block bearings. While the drive shaft is out of the machine test to verify the noise is gone. If the noise is still heard the EMFWD and front axle shafts should be inspected. If the noise is not present with the drive shaft removed, order new front drive shaft bearing AM142310. This new bearing is rubber isolated which absorbs vibration and noise coming through the drive shaft. The new bearing should be installed in place of the front bearing which is underneath the floor board of the operator station.
*Note* Install bearing AM142310 in the front location on the drive shaft ONLY. Installing a bearing in both locations of the drive shaft does not lower noise any further and could result in secondary part failures.

Well, of course my machine now also have the rattle (:mad::mad::Bnghd: John Deere). Since I bought it through a dealer in US and not through the European dealers, it'll be interesting to see if JD will cover it:OhNoes:. OK - to my, probably stupid, question:

In the writing from JD, trussman posted, it says "The noise is present in neutral or while driving with the engine around 3,300 rpm's.". Why should there be noise in neutral? The front drive shaft only rotates with the gear in forward and reverse, so....... What am I missing?

Thanks.

Paul

pahawi
12-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Why should there be noise in neutral?

Anyone?

Paul

pahawi
12-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Why should there be noise in neutral?

Come on guys - with all the knowledge on this board, someone must know? Or is it just a misprint from JD?

Would hate to order the parts and later find out I misunderstood something.

Thanks.

Paul