PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Silencer

Buckeyesturf
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
I work on a golf course and have bought 4 XUV 625i and 1 XUV 825i. I have tried the Kolpin muffler silencer and the ATV silencer. Does anyone have any other ideas to make the XUV quieter? We absolutely love the XUV but just need to make it a little quieter. Muffler plugs? Also does anyone know of a custom muffler specifically made for the XUV? The Kolpin and ATV silencer are not custom to the XUV.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

CCGATOR
04-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Are you referring to the Kolpin silencer # 53580? It is listed as a JD accessory. Is this not a true statement?

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/products/john-deere-accessories-2.html?vmcchk=1

farmgreen
05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Wondering if 'Buckeyesturf' followed through with the muffler silencer.

I am looking for a silencer solution as well for my Gator but can't find too much information online about anyone that's tried one.

Smeg
03-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Our Stealth muffler will work on the new JD Gator 825i, but it is necessary to buy two adaptors from an auto parts store. You have to remove the factory spark arrestor and reinstall it with an adaptor on the tailpipe of the Stealth. The other adaptor is necessary to adapt the OD of the factory tailpipe to the Stealth inlet-
The adaptors needed are as follows-
1 ? ? ID to 1 ?? ID Factory tailpipe to Stealth
1 5/8? ID to 1 5/8? OD Stealth tailpipe to Spark Arrestor

The last piece of the installation will be to solidify the mount of the Stealth Canister with one belly clamp and a strap to the factory heat shield. Secure with muffler clamps at each junction and the job is completed.

Smeg
03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Has anyone tried this Koplin Stealth Exhaust on JD Gator 625i with Success? I'm picking one up tonight so I will let you all know.

CaptDan
03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Smeg,

You might be the first, welcome to the forum and please keep us posted as to how the new muffler works and if it reduces exhaust noise.

Thanks

Dan

purplewg
03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
This is my muffler silencer. Soon to be lifted 6 inches and bigger tires. Great little inexpensive hunting cart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/purplewg/Gator/b8076050.jpg

Smeg
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Update on the Koplin Stealth exhaust. I did temp mount it to my 625i and I must say it works well, however there is still engine noise that you really can't get rid of. Overall pretty impressed with the quality and easy of setup of the Koplin. Not a golf cart noise but much better then it was.

LeonardS
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Smeg, I have thought about trying to find a waterproof, sound deadening material to place under the dump bed. It may help absorb some of the sound. I also have the poly cab, so may try some sound deadening material on the inside of the rear wall, inside the doors and inside the roof.

asp
03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Smeg, I have thought about trying to find a waterproof, sound deadening material to place under the dump bed. It may help absorb some of the sound. I also have the poly cab, so may try some sound deadening material on the inside of the rear wall, inside the doors and inside the roof.

Dynamat might be a product that you could apply

osiris
03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Dynamat might be a product that you could apply
:Ysnd::Ysnd::Ysnd:

purplewg
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Here is the GF's muffler silencer. Just lifted it last night.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/ChickenChaps/Vehicles/000_3650.jpg

Smeg
03-09-2012, 09:14 PM
LeonardS, Sounds like a plan. Let me know what you use and how it works.

Smeg
03-09-2012, 09:18 PM
LeonardS, Let me know what you use and how it works. I will do the same.

Regulator
03-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I am definitely gonna be trying the Dynamat on my 825i with the Poly Cab...I want to line the back section under the sliding glass window, the entire floor, the entire lower portion of the Poly doors, and maybe even under the dump bed if that looks feasable once I look under there...

Along with decreasing noise levels of the engine, I'm sure it will also keep the Poly Cab from "vibrating" or "thumping" from wind and such...those with Poly Cabs will know what I mean when I say "vibrating and thumping" from the wind...it's just because the plastic is thin enough in the walls to go in and out with the wind and bumpy terrain...the DynaMat should take most of that away...I am hoping so anyway!!!

Now that I am thinking about it, I get alot of noise from the Poly Cab up around the roof where it meets the back panel above the sliding rear window...so, I am going to try to get some of the DynaMat placed up there over top of the roll bars too...that should help with making the roof a tighter fit to the rollbars while stopping the thumping sounds also...

That's a great tip that I didn't think about until I saw it posted up on here...thanx to whoever it was...maybe Osiris???...:Thmup:

Larry in MD :Jestr:

Txcoastjason
03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Smeg, I would love to see a picture of your finished project. I too am looking for ways to make my gator more quiet. Jason.

osiris
03-11-2012, 07:09 AM
i know whenever i get home to line my truck with the dynamat if i have any left the gator is getting a few layers, and metered before and after, day 44 at work lookn foward to a few days off...

Smeg
03-13-2012, 01:27 PM
This is a temp setup to test it out, however it does give me/you something to go off of.

Smeg
03-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Osiris...have you tried the dynamat? Whats interesting if you run with the bed up its actually relatively quiet. There is alot of noise that echos against the bed and gives it a throaty sound.....

osiris
03-13-2012, 09:52 PM
ive used dynamat and others in vehicles to quiet trunk rattle and road/engine noise it does make a big diffrence just havent had a chance to put any on the gator but ive got a bunch of it in the shop, put one layer on everything if your happy with it stop there but if not apply mutiple layers, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 layers depends on the severity of the noise,but you prob wouldnt notice a sound diffrence from the outside of the cab, i bet one of the silencers that smeg has tough would be good for hunting :evil:

Regulator
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I just ordered a kit from Eastwood that is their brand of DynaMat...it covers like 34 square feet of area...plus I bought a couple rolls of the insulating tape to help with edges and such since that shit is supposed to be sharp...the DynaMat (proper) was listed too on Eastwood's site, but it was alot more money, so I am going with the Eastwood brand...also because of all the 5 star reviews for the "good" about it that they have listed....I should have it by the end of the week, and if it gets here, will be my weekend project....I'll take a bunch of pics while I am installing it to post up on here...

osiris
03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Regulator- I don't know if you have ever used any dynamat type material before but if you haven't clean the area off with rubbing alcohol,allow to dry, and put the deadener on and use a small roller to push it in all the small places and the get air bubbles out and thats it good luck with your project, Ive never used the tape normally just roll it out and haven't cut myself up yet

Regulator
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Osiris...no, I haven't used it before...not the DynaMat style stuff anyway...I have installed regular old insulation doing basically the same thing though...I actually ordered the little roller thingie too when I placed the order...They say the tape is used to join pieces together if you want...I figured that having a roll or two won't hurt anything...I'll see if I need it or not...a bunch of people commented that you need to be careful when cutting the pieces because the aluminum sheeting on top is sharp on the edges, so that's why I mentioned that...I figured too that if any edges are within reach in the cab, having a piece of that tape covering them won't hurt anything...we'll see how it goes when I get into it good....

Thanx a bunch for the tips on installing it though...I was figuring on using either alcohol or lacquer thinner to get the areas good and clean...I appreciate the info!!! :Thmup:

osiris
03-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Regulator- no problem id hate to hear anything went bad ive never tried to remove that suff after its been on there a while but I wouldnt want that would be a nightmare I can imagine

Regulator
03-14-2012, 11:01 PM
I got my order from Eastwoods today already...it came this afternoon by Fed-Ex...I couldn't believe it only took a day and a half to get the order to me...that box was HEAVY too...I was kinda surprised with that...the stuff looks real nice...heavy but real thin...I'm gonna try to get some on tomorrow if I can...I want to do the outside back of the cab first and see how much that takes away the engine drone before adding a bunch more right away...I scoped out a few other places I want to add the stuff inside the cab under the seats, along the roof line above the rear window, and in the poly doors...I'll probably end up doing the floorboards under the floormats where you put your feet...I'll bet that will cut down on the heat problem some people have in the summertime...I'll probably miss the heat next winter though!!!..hahaha...can't have it both ways I guess...I have a good idea that this stuff is gonna do pretty good at knocking down that excess noise when riding along...from everything I've read about it, and from what people have commented on Eastwoods site about this stuff at how great it works, I think I'm going to be happy with the results....

I've always had great luck with products from Eastwood...I've bought tools, One-Shot sign paints and brushes for pinstriping, POR-15 for lining motorcycle gas tanks, and a bunch of other items over the years...I always get the stuff super fast, and their products are always as good or better than anything else out there...gotta give them props in case anyone else might wanna buy from them...

I'll take a few pics and post up my results tommorow evening...thanx for all your help, my friend...

osiris
03-15-2012, 04:59 AM
the tape would be nice on the floor so the tar like material dont ooze out when its super hot out and stick down your floormats, and if i have to guess you will still get heat transfer from the floor just take a little longer to get warm looking foward to your results though, and all the dynamat type products are thin and heavy, you can do a whole vehicle make a huge improvment on sound quality and reduced noises, and rattle put it back together and make it still look factory just sound whole lot better :BG:

Regulator
03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Well....I got some of it on today...around the back of the cab below the window...covered all but about 4 inches on either side....plus, put a couple pieces inside for a little extra noise dulling...and a strip up near the roof line inside behind the rollbar where the roof meets the back panel...I didn't get a chance to take the pics yet because I was in a hurry to get some on and then go for a ride down to the Creek to take all 4 dogs swimming...the Wife and Grandson went with me....

Anyway, I will post pics tomorrow to show where I put the stuff...it worked real easy putting on, and I only sliced my finger a few times on the aluminum edging... and as soon as I got going on the ride, I could tell that what I had done was a GREAT thing...the motor noise was alot quieter inside the cab...(we had the doors off, so I didn't try it with them on yet...)...that stuff really dulled the motor droning down a bunch, plus there was absolutely NO wind flapping the Poly Cab anywhere like it usually does...I don't have a Db meter so I can't give you numbers, but even my wife could tell the difference since she rides it alot...and, one other thing that I noticed....I left the stereo on the same volume as it was when I shut it off last time from riding...I'd always have to turn it up to hear it when riding as apposed to sitting still idling....well, after I got going, I realized the radio was obnoxiously loud and had to turn it down pretty quick, so that also told me that the sound of the engine and Poly cab making noise was reduced a bunch....

I still have some more places I want to put a bit more of the Eastwood brand Dynamat...I decided against putting any under the Floormats right away until I can tell whether or not I'll need to...I could still feel heat coming up from around the consul area up front, so I will check that a bit more...I am super happy with the little bit that I did do, and can't wait to finish the job and check it again while riding with the doors on too...I used less than half of the material that they sent in the kit, plus I haven't used any of the insulating tape that I bought with it....I'll have plenty to do all the rest that I want to do easily...

I also found that using a rubber hammer to sort of "tamp" the Dynamat down nice and tight worked really well, especially where there were ridges and rasied areas in the Poly cab on the back panel...the roller was fine, but it wasn't heavy enough to really "hoss" on it too hard to get it nice and smooth...the sticky material under the aluminum top sheet is basically just gooey tar like stuff that has some fantastic adhesive stuff on it...you could mush it in your fingers pretty easily since it was kinda hot today...around 76 degree's or so....it didn't run or anything, and was real easy to apply if you took your time and didn't take all the backing paper off at once....I highly recommend it so far...

osiris
03-16-2012, 01:19 AM
quieter to the ear is good enough for me :BG: hopefully itll make a huge diffrence when your all done with it

Regulator
03-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Finally....here's my pictures on where I installed my (Eastwood Brand) DynaMat sound deadening material....I didn't take "installation" pics, because it's just a simple "clean area, peel backing, and stick it on" thing...definitely not Rocket Surgery....It's really made a difference in how the motor sounds now...alot quieter, plus the engine sound is duller instead of having that "high RPM" kind of whine...it's like I installed a Big Block in it!!!...hahaha...

Anyway...here's the pics...the first one shows the back of the cab and then I added a pic of what's actually visible from behind...hardly any of it shows, and the little corners that do show, I could easily remover if I wanted to...

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_2442.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_2443.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_2436.jpg

Then, here's a bit up at the roof line on the inside of the cab....

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_2459.jpg

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_2460.jpg

Lastly, I added some of the material down at the bottom of the back panel inside, plus added it to a few area's where "plastic meets plastic" and makes sounds when riding along from rubbing and such...If I hit it with my knuckle and it sounded "tinny" or loose, I put some DynaMat material on it....

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_2450.jpg

One more thing....I know I said that I was done adding accessories to my Gator, but I saw something that I'm just gonna have to spend the money and get to install in my cargo bed...I would use it mostly to cut down trees instead of having to carry around a chainsaw, and gas, and all that stuff that would be noisy to haul around...here's a picture of one i9nstalled in a pick-up bed.....

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/BeltFed.jpg

What do you think???....it's really a multi-use tool that could be alot of fun to have on hand in case you ever drive into a heard of Wild Boars or Zombies....you never know just what you might run across in this crazy world we live in these days....

And, I just had to add a pic of my Gator the day it was delivered...it looks sooo naked...at this point, I never dreamed that it would turn into a vehicle that I would enjoy riding in and working on so much!!!

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz161/Regulator28/Gator%20825i/Gator%20Mods/IMG_0163.jpg

That's all for me....hope you saw something that might help you if you decide to add a bit of sound deadening material on your machines....

osiris
03-19-2012, 09:41 PM
looking good, thanks for posting your results Larry

Regulator
03-19-2012, 11:25 PM
looking good, thanks for posting your results Larry

It's the least I could do since you gave me the original idea of adding the Dynamat material to help quiet the Gator down...I had thought a bunch on how I could get the noise down some, but kept coming up empty in the idea department....It's cool when someone gives you a cool tip...especially one that I doubt I would have ever thought of....that's just another reason this place is a great Forum....:Chers:

Again, I want to thank you for the great tech tip...you rock, my friend....I appreciate it a bunch and hope to be able to return the favor someday...:Thmup:

purplewg
03-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Good job Regulator. Since I don't have a cab, think I can just wrap that stuff all the way around mine?:lol::lol::lol:

There is a guy around here who made a 50 cal machine gun out of some scrap metal and mounted it in the back of an old Willis Jeep. It gets a lot of attention when he drives around with his buddy in back holding on to the grip of the gun.

These Gators are just like Harleys. Ya just can't leave well enough alone.:BG:

Deputy347k9
03-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Larry, you have more items added to the cab where it now requires an FAA license to operate! I can see you now, talking to the tower as you request take off! LOL

Larry in ME

Regulator
03-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Larry, you have more items added to the cab where it now requires an FAA license to operate! I can see you now, talking to the tower as you request take off! LOL

Larry in ME

Dammitt Larry....now I have to get a two way VHF radio for the Gator to communicate with the Control Tower....I guess I can mount it next to the CB radio...now I just gotta figure out where to mount the dag blame Black Box....Does this mean I can hire a Stewardess???....if so, YOU'VE gotta be the one to tell my wife....I think she's figured out how to release that tire checker bat out of my Gear Grip, so I'm not taking any chances...:Bnghd:

Regulator
03-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Good job Regulator. Since I don't have a cab, think I can just wrap that stuff all the way around mine?:lol::lol::lol:

These Gators are just like Harleys. Ya just can't leave well enough alone.:BG:

I agree about the Harleys for sure....I am always looking for vintage parts to add to my old bikes...I have quite a huge parts stash from buying stuff over the years...I couyld probably build an entire bike if I had a spare engine laying around....

As far as wrapping your entire Gator....That made me think of an easier solution that I could have done too and saved about $150.00...

"Ear Muffs".........'nuf said....:hehe: :lol: :hehe: :lol: :hehe:

creeker
05-26-2012, 08:43 AM
I returned the Kolpin - because it's a universal kit, it's too gimmicky to install, in my opinion. The ATV silencer is made for the 625 and goes on very easily, and looks factory. It's a substantial help, if not entirely quelling the exhaust noise - which seems unnecessarily loud.

Deputy347k9
05-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Larry, your doing a great job and glad to hear this material cuts down on the engine drone! Can the exterior of this material be painted black to match the machine?

I will follow your post as I would also like to cut down on the noise but still retain some of the factory look. I would feel better if I could spray the exterior of this stuff with black to match.

What do you think?

Larry in ME

Regulator
05-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Larry...you could paint that stuff, but I doubt that it would hold up very long...the material on the outside is thin, really shiny and glossy aluminum...kinda like thick aluminum foil in a way...I guess you could take a Scotchbrite pad and scuff it up some, and then put a primer on it that would help with the adhesion before you painted it black, but like I said...I don't know if it would stay on there...if it was on the inside, I would say that yes it would stick and stay on it good, but on the outside where it would be in the dirt, dust, and everything else, it might start chipping up so that the aluminum color would start showing through a bunch...I would imagine if you painted it with that thick bed liner stuff, it would last alot better...and that wouldn't look bad at all on the outside rear of the cab...

I haven't ever thought about painting mine to be honest...it doesn't bother me that it's not the same color as the rest of the cab...I am sure it would look better if it was painted though...I was just excited that it made a difference in the noise...

Txcoastjason
05-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Creeker, did you mount the atv silencer on an 825 or a 625. I'm curious if it will work on an 825i.

creeker
05-27-2012, 08:51 AM
A 625 - as I recall, it was described as being for that model, but you could check the dealer's web site: atvsilencer.com

chs825i
05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Just sent an email to atvsilencer.com about the 825i. I'll post the response when it comes in.

Regulator
05-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I guess somebody is checking out our posts here on the Gator Forum...I just saw an Ad up above in the "Ad Choices" block for "B-Quiet Sound Deadening"..."The affordable sound deadener Quiet your ride and save your money www.b-quiet.com/"....

Kinda funny that this particular ad popped up after a few of us were talking about buying and installing sound deadening materials in our Gators!!!....I hadn't ever heard of this company before, but I am sure they must be a reputable store that sells quality materials...it's good to know there are other places out there for buying parts and components for our machines....

Now if only somebody at John Deere "proper" would check us out and incorporate some of the mods and fabrication that we have been building, buying, and installing in our Gators as future options that could be bought already installed from the factory, so that the cost of these things could be kept down some...I think the fine people at John Deere would learn alot by reading and seeing just what we are doing to our Gators...for all we know, they just might be doing that already!!!...I certainly hope so...

chs825i
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Here's the response from ATVSILENCER.COM

"We are in the process of developing one for the 825i as we speak. We should
have the test results on the prototype next week. Can we add your name to our list of interested customers? We'll contact you
when it is available.

Nikki French, Sales and Customer Service
The Silent RiderR Team"

I'm gonna get on their list and see how it develops.

Txcoastjason
05-29-2012, 10:16 PM
I also wrote them as well and received the same response. I gave them my contact info. I hope they don't make us wait long!

Txcoastjason
06-20-2012, 08:48 PM
So I am buying and trying out an early prototype of the atv silencer for the 825i. I will let everyone know how it goes. They say it's supposed to reduce noise by about 9 decibels. I'm pretty pumped to quiet it down a little.

Txcoastjason
07-15-2012, 02:06 AM
the new silencer works great! I am really happy with this product from ATV silencer. my gator now sounds about as loud as a honda generator. Engine noise pretty much removed, at higher speeds cab noise is now primarily due to the drivetrain and the belt/clutch (still loud on the move...just not from engine/exhaust anymore). 1256

chs825i
07-15-2012, 07:04 AM
the new silencer works great! I am really happy with this product from ATV silencer. my gator now sounds about as loud as a honda generator. Engine noise pretty much removed, at higher speeds cab noise is now primarily due to the drivetrain and the belt/clutch (still loud on the move...just not from engine/exhaust anymore). 1256

That's great news. Thanks for posting, I'm gonna order one and give it a shot.

flu_byu
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I ordered one last week. Thanks for the info, man I can't wait

wjd1857
08-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Could I please have a link for the silencer?

asp
08-23-2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.atvsilencer.com

DIXIEDOG
08-23-2012, 12:27 PM
To the folks that installed them do you find it has created any issues when you're backing up against hills or anything like that? It looks like it sits fairly low and out aways.

Anybody have a pic of it installed from the side?

IdleUp
09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Not sure exactly where you can use it but Loews sells a 1/2" foam board with foil on one end around $6.00 4x8 ft sheet - I've used on boats before it really deadens noise I had a Cummins in a inboard and you would not belive the difference.

What make that Dynamat work? it looks awful thin to really deaden noise.

Thanks

Mike