PDA

View Full Version : aloha from west oahu

doittoit
07-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Glad to run into this site, Im trying to get my 2x4 running with a 16 HP v-twin:Wlys:.

doittoit
07-01-2011, 08:29 AM
I have a 2002 2x4 gator turf and I have questions about the rear differential. Thanks

purplewg
07-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I might be able to help, I bought one that would only go in reverse one time. I opened the tranny up, found the broken parts, and rebuilt her. What seems to be your problem?

doittoit
07-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for responding.what happened was after I changed engines I couldn't find a belt to fit, being that I needed a belt 6" shorter from the stock since the b&s 16hp v-twin engine is a lot bigger than the stock Kawasaki. After trying to MC giver a way to make it fit not really knowing how cvt works caused me to shred 2belts $70 a piece. So what dose a gun hoe youngen do with miles of sandy beach about 200ft from his garage do?slap on a chain set up from my old dirt bike.now here's my problem, I bolted the smaller sprocket to the engine (solid) and bolted the bigger sprocket through the two plates that holds the belt if a belt was on it.(I think its the transmission clutch? )well I adjusted the chain to a tight fit, fired that bad boy up, put it in drive and WATCH OUT cause I can't go more than 8mph.what now? Did I ruin the trans. Can I some how get the rear end in go. I tried jacking it up and put it in forward and it doesn't turn fast, in fact one tire spins opposite from the other.like I said I don't know about cvt but after researching it looks like when its driving fast the two plates I bolted the sprocket to supposed to be able to open and somehow allows the rear end to go fast.is their their a way to put it in that gear with out the clutch? I'm lost. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again and Ill post some pictures tomorrow if it will help

WOEII
07-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the forum! :Chers: :cool:

pugwash4
07-03-2011, 07:39 AM
cvt only gain speed with the belt the higher the rpm the tighter the belt get the faster you go.

doittoit
07-03-2011, 01:43 PM
cvt only gain speed with the belt the higher the rpm the tighter the belt get the faster you go.

What I've done was I bolted the sprocket through the trans. Plates(where the belt sits)witch would mean it can't get any tighter.did I kill it by doing that?and I bolted a smaller sprocket to the engine shaft.(took that clutch off)I hope Im makeing sence of it.I'll try to get some pictures posted.I really appreciate your input and any suggestions are very appriciated as I am stuck!!!thanks again aloha!

doittoit
07-03-2011, 02:22 PM

purplewg
07-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Sounds like a drive ratio deal to me. To big a rear gear will give you a low top end. You will either need to increase the motor sprocket or decrease the tranny sprocket. Too tight of a chain will cause problems. Run it as loose as you can without having it hop off. I would put a guard on it also. Normal for the rear tires to spin opposite unless you have the rear lock engaged. Both will go the same direction then. Just my thoughts from your description.

Also, only having a fixed set of gears will cause you to loose power at the bottom end if you gain a lot of top speed. The CVT changes the "gear ratio" if you will as the engine rpm is increased. With fixed gearing you are giving up something somewhere.

doittoit
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds like a drive ratio deal to me. To big a rear gear will give you a low top end. You will either need to increase the motor sprocket or decrease the tranny sprocket. Too tight of a chain will cause problems. Run it as loose as you can without having it hop off. I would put a guard on it also. Normal for the rear tires to spin opposite unless you have the rear lock engaged. Both will go the same direction then. Just my thoughts from your description.

Also, only having a fixed set of gears will cause you to loose power at the bottom end if you gain a lot of top speed. The CVT changes the "gear ratio" if you will as the engine rpm is increased. With fixed gearing you are giving up something somewhere.
First of all I can't tell you how thankful I am for your response.how do I engage the rear end? You think the ratio is to much,maybe I can go bigger on engine.the sprocket I have bolted through the rear clutch(is that what it's called,rear clutch?) is the same size as where the belt would be (circumference )and the sprocket on the engine is just about same as drive clutch(circumference ).do you think I would be able to tell if I need to change sprocket size if I put smaller tires on ,jack it up and see if any big difference,it's just that I have it on pretty good.but if it needs to be changed it's no problem.Should I start over? Putting a bigger engine for more power,how much power will I lose in reare end?thanks for you're help,aloha

purplewg
07-04-2011, 07:13 AM
You can lock the rear end with a little lever in front of the seats down close to the floor if it is still there. If gone, there is a lever on the tranny (right side if I remember right) that can be pulled to lock the rear axles.

Do you have good power now but no top speed? If so I would go with a smaller sprocket on the rear (tranny) and try that to increase your speed. If you are lacking power to get going and the motor struggles to pull the cart up to speed then I would go with a little larger gear on the motor. Smaller tires on the rear end will lower your top speed. Does the motor seem to have plenty of power when it is running at your 8 MPH? Is it winding up good? If so, I would go smaller gear on the tranny. Hope that helps.

doittoit
07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
You can lock the rear end with a little lever in front of the seats down close to the floor if it is still there. If gone, there is a lever on the tranny (right side if I remember right) that can be pulled to lock the rear axles.

Do you have good power now but no top speed? If so I would go with a smaller sprocket on the rear (tranny) and try that to increase your speed. If you are lacking power to get going and the motor struggles to pull the cart up to speed then I would go with a little larger gear on the motor. Smaller tires on the rear end will lower your top speed. Does the motor seem to have plenty of power when it is running at your 8 MPH? Is it winding up good? If so, I would go smaller gear on the tranny. Hope that helps..

Yes I have plenty of power it just don't want to go.when I drive the tranny is moving as fast as the shaft but ??? ,and I don't hear grinding or any weird noise comeing from the axel.I'll go and try a smaller sprocket on tranny tomorrow .I'll post end result , should get it done by tomorrow , thanks again.and I'll check for that leaver and maybe try to lock it . Aloha

doittoit
07-06-2011, 07:38 AM
purplewg and forum thanks for your advice. i had the chain to tight. i never would of guest.
mahalo and aloha,matt

doittoit
07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
purplewg and forum thanks for your advice. i had the chain to tight. i never would of guest.
mahalo and aloha,matt

purplewg
07-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Ah as I mentioned in post #9 a while back. Glad you got it going. What kind of speeds are you seeing now? Be careful, remember that model has no suspension.

doittoit
07-10-2011, 05:21 AM
I'm not exactly sure but but my 7yr old has to hold on know.ya about the suspension, is their a way to lift or have you heard of any one putting a small lift on it?thanks again purplewg.I can keep up with cars on a 35mph road,and who drives speed limit.I can't really stop when driving on sand ,I just buried the tire but its no biggie ill stick to the hills,thanks again,aloha