PDA

View Full Version : 6x4 Noisy Diesel Engine ??

NOS EXUP
07-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I recently bought a 6x4 diesel gator |(about 500 hours). The Engine is noisy at idle - i removed the engine clutch assembly from the engine but engine is still noisy when idling - The engine seems to get smoother and quieter when revved up.

It drives ok but the engine is very noisy when idling - i have drained the fuel and refilled with fresh fuel in case the fuel left in tank was poor quality but still knocking /noisy at idle.

Cant see anything loose on or around engine.

Tried another 6x4 at local dealer and this one seems a lot quieter.

Anyone else had noise issues at idle with yanmar engine ?

Any adjustments to fuel pump / timing etc.. ?

Thanks
Nick

purplewg
07-22-2011, 07:18 AM
All my diesels are noisy. :BG: I have an old air cooled diesel generator that I run my house on when the hurricanes come along and blow our power lines down. That dang thing sounds like it is about to come apart at any soon moment. I put it out behind the garage on a concrete slap and built a box around it. Still loud.

I'm not sure about your 6x4 engine as I have never heard a 6x4 diesel but "noisy" is a relative term with diesels.

Every year they seem to make a bit quieter though. Didn't answer your question but maybe someone can.

lostsole
09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Well I just rebuilt one a 6x4 with a very noisy Diesel and it had a bad crankshaft. I had to have THE CRANK WELDED AND MACHINED TO GET THE NEW ROD BEARINGS TO FIT. it HAS QUIETED IT DOWN ALLOT!!!

I recently bought a 6x4 diesel gator |(about 500 hours). The Engine is noisy at idle - i removed the engine clutch assembly from the engine but engine is still noisy when idling - The engine seems to get smoother and quieter when revved up.

It drives ok but the engine is very noisy when idling - i have drained the fuel and refilled with fresh fuel in case the fuel left in tank was poor quality but still knocking /noisy at idle.

Cant see anything loose on or around engine.

Tried another 6x4 at local dealer and this one seems a lot quieter.

Anyone else had noise issues at idle with yanmar engine ?

Any adjustments to fuel pump / timing etc.. ?

Thanks
Nick