PDA

View Full Version : Sure grip gun rack

srb08
08-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Has anyone had any experience with Sure Grip gun racks on the gator?
Although not the cheapest, Sure Grip seem to offer the most mounting options and sturdiest build.
Any of you guys/gals ever use them.

purplewg
08-02-2011, 07:23 AM
No but I use these.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/purplewg/Gator/i84192536-AC33-48A1-B0D4-FC48164B8D.jpg

srb08
08-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I use the Kolpins to carry my pole saw and digging implements, they work great. I need something to carry guns vertically. I shoot a lot of.clay birds, and am around large groups of people. It makes me nervous having the muzzle of a gun in a position where it could be pointed at another person. Even though I know the gun is not loaded, it still makes me uncomfortable. I'm sure most of my fellow shooters feel the same way.
When working around the property, I usally carry an ar-15 and like to keep it handy. I'm looking for a mount to fit the vertical tube on the front fender guard for my shotgun and one that mounts overhead for the ar.

purplewg
08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I use a Kolpin gun case strapped to the inside top of my tractor roof. It is one meant for ATV's but I just tied it up there and keep something in it. I guess you could make something for the butt to sit in and then use one of these Kolpins to hold the fore-grip or barrel. I haven't really seen anything on the market like you are looking for. I plan to make a bracket across the two vertical roll bars to mount more of these Koplins to for gun carry. The bars are too far apart for anything other than my old Kentucky powder rifle.

Deputy347k9
08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Purplewg, could the Kolpin grips be attached to the rear ops screen in a vertical position? I am quite sure they would hold a long gun very nicely. I have gone though the woods and trails with my metal detector secured to the bed by the Kolpin grips, they are fantastic. I know I am going to order two more sets, one more for the Gator and one set for insdie my trailer.

airbournein2001
08-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Kolpin makes a very sturdy floor mount double gun vertical mount. However it doesn't fit in the floor of the XUV without numerous modifications, it might mount to a vertical tube with a little help! I found one a Bass Pro for about $90.

srb08
08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
I have used the Kolpin floor mounts in golf carts. They work well in that application but as you said, present a problem in the gator. The mounts from sure grip can be configured a number of different ways (except floor mount in a gator)). I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks to all for the feedback.
Best
Steve

Zephyr74
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I have used the Kolpin floor mounts in golf carts. They work well in that application but as you said, present a problem in the gator. The mounts from sure grip can be configured a number of different ways (except floor mount in a gator)). I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks to all for the feedback.
Best
Steve

I was looking into a floor mount for the Gator to mount my rifle vertically and have it accessible inside the cab, but I am 6'5" and I need all the "leg and knee" space I can get and mounting a rifle anywhere in a cab where the leg space is already minimal was not an option.

Zephyr74
08-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Does anybody know if you can mount those Koplin grips on top of the JD toolbox that mounts in the bed of the gator?

srb08
08-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Kolpin makes an adapter that straddles the floor console and allows for mounting the vertical rack in a gator. I'm pretty sure it would still crowd the leg room. I wanted the vertical mount as well but as you say, it is not a viable option.
Take a look at Sure Grip,they have many options and will custom build if you want something other than the standard fare.