PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem

dukegunner
08-23-2011, 02:55 PM
hello<
I have the old style 6x4 gas gator. i have replaced the ignition switch at the key and the bat. when you turn the key on i am getting nothing no pump no lights no anything . does any one have any ideas for me to try ?
thanks.

srb08
08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Fuses?
If you have access to a VOM (volt-ohm meter), you can verify the current and ground paths.

purplewg
08-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Did you have the problem before replacing the switch and battery?

dukegunner
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
yes i did ....

purplewg
08-25-2011, 06:57 AM
First thing that comes to mind is the voltage regulator or a relay. Is there any safety switch that has to be on for it to start? Like the shifter has to be in neutral? If so, try bypassing them.

dukegunner
08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
ok im going to chek both out on monday ...thank u ...

dukegunner
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
so its not the relay i changed it it was the less expensive of the two .is there a way to check the voltage regulator? can some one explain why the regulator would be the issue ? i just dont understand how it works ....

purplewg
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
If I had a schematic I might could explain it. It just appeared to me from the parts diagram that the power from the battery went straight to the regulator. Since the ign switch powers all the electrical stuff I would assume it is regulated before it gets to the switch. I think, the neutral switch for the shifter is located in the transmission if I remember right. That isn't causing the problem is it? It would be the safety switch I referred to earlier. With the power off, you can put an Ohm meter across the connector there and engage and disengage the tranny to make sure the switch in the tranny is working.