PDA

View Full Version : Drive belt keeps getting wet.

Waterdog08
12-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I use my 825i gator when I duck hunt in flooded fields. I have found that in the last two weeks my drive belt is getting wet and slipping while traveling through the field. I believe water is splashing up and deflecting back into the belt housing is anyone else experiencing problems with this? The water is only about 12 inches deep.

John Deere Nick
12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
If you will look up under the rear of your gator you will notice above the reciver hitch there is a opening and inside that is your belt. If your driving fast through the flooded rice fields then yes it's splashing inside there causing the belt to slip. Gators do not like water. I think just creeping through you would. E fine. I have mine in water in that sometimes hardly ever and it does not give me any trouble because no water gets inside there. There is not a cover kit that I know of just yet because there are so new to the market. Hope this helps!
Nick

Waterdog08
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I have used the mudflaps that came on it to make a flap to cover the opening. I'll have to see next week if that helps. It it does I'll post pics. to show the finished product. It does look like it should. thanks

John Deere Nick
12-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Unless it is sealed your still going to get wet i think.

purplewg
12-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I sometimes run across cow pastures that are really wet with dew and rain. I find mine wants to start squealing after that for a long time. It mostly does it when I am running the let off the gas to slow, I hear a belt squeal back there just before it stops. Kind of annoying.

jonny2guns4u
12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I have used the mudflaps that came on it to make a flap to cover the opening. I'll have to see next week if that helps. It it does I'll post pics. to show the finished product. It does look like it should. thanks

Waterdog08
I don't want to hijack this thread but you stated that you used your mudflaps to cover the opening. Did you replace the old mudflaps with something different? I have always hated the mudflaps on the bed of my Gator. I would love to find a solid plastic set to bolt on. I just don't think the flaps work well. Did you just take your off or find a better replacement?

Regulator
12-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Waterdog08
I don't want to hijack this thread but you stated that you used your mudflaps to cover the opening. Did you replace the old mudflaps with something different? I have always hated the mudflaps on the bed of my Gator. I would love to find a solid plastic set to bolt on. I just don't think the flaps work well. Did you just take your off or find a better replacement?

Jonny2guns4u...(I love that monikor...)...I was just looking at mine yesterday thinking the same thing...I hate how flimsy they are and how they mount them so there is a curve at the edge, and crooked lookong...seems like they'd miss alot of mud and dirt flying up that way...I have some of the hard plastic mud flaps that we use at my Trucking Company on reefer trailers and grain hoppers...I was gonna take one of them and cut it in half and make some that would be a bit better than what's on there now...it might take 2 of the hard plastic ones to make 2 mud flaps for the Gator, because I haven't measured them yet...just kinda eye'd it up and figured one would probably do it OK...

I might actually work on that tomorrow as I will be home most of the day....if I do, I'll post up a few pics of my results and give you some measurements...also, pleased to make your acquaintance...

Larry in MD

fire gator
12-06-2011, 09:37 PM
drive belt or alternator belt ?

825joe
12-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I hope someone makes something to seal the cvt up a bit better. I went a little to fast through about 10 inches of water one time and I wasnt going anywhere lol

WOEII
12-07-2011, 03:19 PM
drive belt or alternator belt ?
main drive belt-:lurk:

pahawi
12-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Wouldnt be that hard for me to do an injection mold for a rubber "lid" for the opening, but would it be OK to blind the opening, or could it damage something?

Paul

fire gator
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM
it needs to vent heat and etc but i asked this question a few months ago and seem to me folks thought this was all okay :Cnfsd:

825joe
12-08-2011, 08:17 AM
I would think it would cause to much heat build up in the cvt.

Waterdog08
01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
I have found during this duck season the belt opening cover I made works very well. It does not prevent the opening form breathing it only turns the opening down in an l shape. it has prevented water from splashing back into the belt. I have not missed having the stock flaps on there either they did not block much anyway.

number3shot
01-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I have found during this duck season the belt opening cover I made works very well. It does not prevent the opening form breathing it only turns the opening down in an l shape. it has prevented water from splashing back into the belt. I have not missed having the stock flaps on there either they did not block much anyway.
Is it possible to post some pictures showing what you did?
Thanks.