PDA

View Full Version : Road legal

agb
01-01-2012, 12:44 PM
This is probably different in all states but I'm going to ask anyway. I am a farmer. We just bought our first Gator (825i). Have light package (tailights, stoplights, binkers etc.) got a rear view mirror. Waht od I have to do to make this road leagal in Michigan? I know it is not as simple as hanging a slow moving symbol on the back either (I guess it goes too fast anyway for that). I am more than willing to get a plate if I have to. Just don't want the hassle of some board cop.

825joe
01-01-2012, 12:46 PM
board cop?

fire gator
01-01-2012, 12:52 PM
in wisconsin smv sign
and as to fast most tractors today go to fast for smv sign but still need one

Joedirt
01-01-2012, 03:02 PM
In Indiana you register it with the DNR like a snowmobile. But you still can't ride on state roads. It's 30.00 for 3 years. Edit: you can ride on all county roads and. Cross SRs. If its registered. If its for farm use you can go about anywhere with nothing. My wife got pulled over on a SR and the cop just told her to get it registerd an let her go. Depends on the cop I guess.

WOEII
01-01-2012, 04:11 PM
NY Dems the JD Gator as a SMV.
So you can really go anywhere even trail to trail. Even the DEC does not have a way to write up if an XUV comes out on trails. They could pull you over and just knit pick you to death but right now we have a loop hole in NY. :hdbngr:

There are bills and laws in the making because the new Gators are so trail worthy and fast but everything in NY politics are so clogged we are not sure when the change will be. :strpot:

I would like to have a section here on the forum for each state law on the Gators...that would help a lot of people and put some worries to rest. :lurk:

CaptDan
01-01-2012, 05:18 PM
board cop?

bored cop is probably what he meant :hehe:

Dan

Deputy347k9
01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Seems each state has their own set of laws regarding operation. Maine, they are registered such as any ATV or snow machine, you are allowed to operate on trails as long as they are not posted against doing so. You can travel trail to trail. If utilized for farming you can operate from field to field also. Now if one field is 3 miles away, that's fine too but stay to the right shoulder so not to disrupt traffic. Heck, the 825i goes the speed limit of most back roads!

agb
01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
My apologies 825joe. Eye mhent boring. Are you policy offer?

missouri gator
01-01-2012, 06:53 PM
My apologies 825joe. Eye mhent boring. Are you policy offer?

:lol:

CaptDan
01-01-2012, 06:59 PM
:IAgre: :Bnghd:

Dan

agb
01-01-2012, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=CaptDan;19737]bored cop is probably what he meant :hehe:

Dan[/QUOTE
without question dan. But always nice to be corrected when you screw up.

agb
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the information from all of you, except 825 Joe or Fred or whoever the English major was. I would like to drive my Gator everywhere including to my remedial English class (sorry, not sure that is capitalized). What really screws me up is when my phone corrects my spelling but really doesn't know exactly what I meant but guesses. That causes people to question my spelling.

trainman
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
In Texas you could never get it registerd for highway use, but I live in the outskirts of Tarrant County (Ft. Worth) and I ride mine down the side of the road out where I live all the time. Just carry a box in the bed full of empty cans and bottles, that way if stopped by the Sheriff just tell him your picking up cans and bottles to Keep Texas Highways Clean, what can he say. That orange triangle is a must to have onboard, it makes you look legal and doing the right thing.

John

BJE80
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
in wisconsin smv sign
and as to fast most tractors today go to fast for smv sign but still need one

That's it? In Wisconsin just slap a SMV sign on the back and you can drive on rural roads? Sweet!!!

CaptDan
01-02-2012, 05:26 AM
That's it? In Wisconsin just slap a SMV sign on the back and you can drive on rural roads? Sweet!!!

I am not a lawyer, I am not trying to give legal advice. Clear, I am not a lawyer and not giving legal advice.

That being said I think the laws of Wisconsin require a lot more than just attaching a SMV (slow moving vehicle) placard to the rear of a Gator or any other UTV.

I have attached the link for the requirements in Wisconsin. Read them and decide how they apply to your situation yourself.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cfa/LR/UTV/grants.html

I have properties in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. I believe Pennsylvania has a similar program that permits a local authority, town or county, to pass a law permitting ATV/UTV use on certain public roadways. The roads then need to have signs indicating that ATV/UTV use is permitted.

My Gator is registered in Pennsylvania, I was told by the dealer and the local PA State Police Barracks that if I operate the Gator strictly on property that I own, then the Gator does not need to be registered. However, if I want to operate the Gator on any property owned by someone other than myself, even private property with permission of the owner, if I do not personally own the property the Gator must be registered.

To the best of my knowledge New Jersey does not permit use of an ATV/UTV on any public roadways etc. They are specifically prohibited in State Parks and Forests - no exceptions according to their web site.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Snowmobiles.htm

I know it says snowmobiles, scroll about 1/2 down the page for ATV/UTV use

I hope this has been useful - take what you want from it - disregard the rest !

Dan

ps - I am not saying I am a goody - twoshoes and never operate my Gator in violation of a law or two - I just like to know when I am being naughty :lol:

jonny2guns4u
01-02-2012, 08:23 AM
ps - I am not saying I am a goody - twoshoes and never operate my Gator in violation of a law or two - I just like to know when I am being naughty :lol:

I usually use the word naughty in reference to being in the bedroom... But in the Gator? Hmmm... that sounds like it might be interesting... lol

J Grace
01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
In Rhode Island I got an "IN TRANSIT" plate. This allows travel on roads but designed
to be used for construction equipment such as backhoes, etc. Hard to acquire and need
insurance and alot of documentation. You must have other pieces of equipment to justify
use but, now I am Gator legal.

agb
01-02-2012, 11:18 AM
In Texas you could never get it registerd for highway use, but I live in the outskirts of Tarrant County (Ft. Worth) and I ride mine down the side of the road out where I live all the time. Just carry a box in the bed full of empty cans and bottles, that way if stopped by the Sheriff just tell him your picking up cans and bottles to Keep Texas Highways Clean, what can he say. That orange triangle is a must to have onboard, it makes you look legal and doing the right thing.

John

I thought possibly my chainsaw and a shovel. It definitely will be used as a farm vehicle but occassional recreation which migh include some road use.

redrivergator
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Heres a little more info for Texas Law. Farm and Ranch use is legal when you meet the regs.

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) are regulated by state and federal laws.

A vehicle is classified as an ATV if it:

has a saddle seat,
has three or more wheels,
is designed for off-highway use, and
is not designed by the manufacturer for farm or lawn care.
ATVs may not be driven on public roads unless the driver is:

a farmer or a rancher traveling no more than 25 miles,
a public utility worker, or
a law enforcement officer.
ATVs driven on a public road must have a triangular orange flag on top of an eight-foot pole attached to the back of it.

To be operated on public property, ATVs must have:

a brake system,
a muffler system,
a United States Forest Service qualified spark arrester,
head and tail light, and
an Off Highway Vehicle decal issued by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

trainman
01-03-2012, 10:42 AM
redrivergator, thanks for the posting, the part I don't understand is the wording "is not designed by the manufacture for farm or lawn care", so the Gator is what I would say is a vehicle designed for that use, farm and lawn care. The ATV as I look at them are more of a play vehicle then a work vehicle, but yes they can be used as a work vehicle and are everyday by many. So then, what category does the Gator fall into, I would say it's a farm use vehicle before I would call it a ATV, anyway, I would say if you get stopped and your bed is full of groceries then you might be in trouble, but with farm or ranch stuff in the back you are probably ok.

John

hoeksema
01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Michigan dep of state has rules sheet that is requires of secretary of state tr-54, four-wheel motor vehicles req

redrivergator
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Sorry Trainman I posted the wrong one. Below is for UTV's.

Effective September 1, 2009, utility-type vehicles (UTVs) are defined as Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs), which are generally used for maintenance, hunting or recreation. They are required to be titled but may not be driven on public roads.

A ROV is a motor vehicle that is equipped with:

a non-straddle seat for the use of the rider (and passenger),
is designed to propel itself with four or more tires in contact with the ground,
is designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use and
is not designed by the manufacturer for farm or lawn care.
ROVs may not be driven on public roads unless the:

vehicle is owned by a state, county or municipality and operated on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare,
driver is a farmer or a rancher traveling no more than 25 miles,
driver is a public utility worker, or
driver is a law enforcement officer.
To be operated on public property, ROVs must have:

a brake system,
a muffler system,
a United States Forest Service qualified spark arrester,
head and tail light, and
an Off Highway Vehicle decal issued by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
For further details on ATV operation on public land in Texas, visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Off Highway Vehicle Program or call (512) 389-8917.

fire gator
01-03-2012, 09:32 PM
wisconsin ag use smv sign all needed to operate rural roads if a local trail allows utv machines then need state issued trail registration and sticker a four wheeler also needs a sticker of different type for ag use on the road ways

825joe
01-04-2012, 01:16 PM
Though you meant like a forum board cop. lol:reye: It didn't even register you meant bored cop. :lol:

markherndon
01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I am in the process of registering my 625i in Tennessee now. Tennessee has a medium speed vehicle registration. It is for vehicles up to 35 mph. You can only operate on roads with 40 mph speed limit or less. You have to have turn signal, tail lights and brake lights. Seat belts are required. You also have to have two mirrors. Driver side mirror and either center rear view or passenger side mirror. You can still cross higher mph roads, but not drive on roads with over 40 mph limits. It is going to cost me $25+ per year. I live in a subdivision with 25 mph limits and have access to property on the back side of the development with trails. I pull a trailer and will be able to help neighbors with different jobs in the neighborhood. Another person in the development has been harassed by off duty police officers and this is why I am getting it registered. http://www.tn.gov/revenue/vehicle/titling/medspeedvehicle.htm

This link gives a few of the specifics.