PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Gator Brake problem

pegbecker
01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
My 2002 Gator, which I bought new, has recently developed a brake problem that changing the hydraulic fluid did not correct.
PROBLEM: When I apply the brakes, they grind badly as I apply increased pressure, especially when hot. When the gator stops, there is a loud "clank" like something in the transmission is being released, then all is quiet. As the brake is being applied, it appears that the transmission is continuing to drive the transmission as the brake is attempting to stop the transmission, then the loud clank.

The idle on the engine seems to be normal, does not appear to be any faster than when it was new but could this be keeping the trans-axle engaged longer than necessary and cause the problem?

What is the adjustment screw on the linkage with the trans-axle and would adjusting that for more or less movement of the arm leading into the trans-axle help with the problem?

Appreciate any solution.

Becker in NC

CaptDan
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Becker !

I can't help with your question, but there are a lot of very smart people on here and give them it a little while and I'm sure someone will chime in with valuable advice.

Dan

WOEII
01-03-2012, 12:54 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/34g4ljl.gif
What model Gator do you have so I can send this post to the section that can help you best. :Chers:

leoebecker
03-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Gator 4 x 2 SN# W004x2x078581 I will appreciate any help.

Suffolk Dave
03-10-2012, 07:31 PM
Symptom = Brake noisy or chattering diagnosis ... you changed fluid and that is step 1...the noise described sounds like transaxle internal brake componants but a quick check of the following items are advised...brake pedal/return spring/stop plate operation....mid frame brake springs/linkage/and rods to transaxle....transaxle brake arm return springs/and shaft...if all these look operational and properly adjusted you now need to look at internal transaxle brake componants (most suspect due to described noise). This problem sounds like internal brake plates or disks or actuator ring and associated captive balls.
When the brake arm shaft pushes on the actuator ring tab it rotates the right side actuator ring clockwise and the left side actuator ring counter clockwise causing the six angled ramps to push the six captured balls against the outer and inner brake plates and disks causing friction to slow/stop output shaft rotation. Sounds like warn brake parts like a possible broken interanal plate tab or captive ball moving temporarly moving out of place on the ramp due to wear.
Hope this helps
Suffolk Dave

Suffolk Dave
03-10-2012, 08:25 PM
WOW...after looking at the price of brake parts I would take a look at the drive and driven clutch units to make sure they are articulating in and out properly during rpm changes (drive clutch) and drive train load (driven clutch). Due to the fact you said the Transmission seemed like it was pulling as you tried to slow down. Clutch repair is much cheaper than brakes.
Good luck
Suffolk Dave

ehatcher
03-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Before applying the brakes, put the transmission in neutral. If it still feels like it is "pushing" than probably the brakes are so bad they are just not grabbing.

My 6x4 had noisy brakes that did not stop well. I put friction modifier in the transaxle and they are much quieter and work smoothly. Friction modifier is for car with limited slip rears and can be bought at an auto parts store.

Eric