PDA

View Full Version : gator spitting threw carb and backfiring

Todd sanders
01-15-2012, 02:52 PM
i,m working on a gator that is spitting fuel out the carb. and back firing. it has fire on plugs for about 30 and then just quits plugs have alot of fuel on them.i think from lack of spark. when it spits and backfires is when i pull the choke .has anyone had problems like this.if so what was it.

Deputy347k9
01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Todd:

Welcome to the Forum. Here you will find a great group of individuals who will offer you all the help you could want, as long as they undeerstand what your problem is.

Please take a moment and advise us what Gator and engine you are having problems with. Reading you post I don't quite understand what you mean when you say, "it has fire on plugs for about 30 and then quits plugs have alot of fuel on them."

There are those engines that back firing could indicate a timing problem while other types of engines might be air filter, wrong plugs, bad fuel and so.

Look forward to your replay and best of wishes.

Larry

Todd sanders
01-15-2012, 06:37 PM
its a hpx . has a kawasaki engine.IT said .617 L on the engine. do you think its valve lash .do you know the valve lash specs.

Deputy347k9
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Todd:

I am hoping you have a shop manual for your machine, if not you need to get one ASAP. The manual will direct you step by step in locating the problem.

Sounds like it could be one of several issues: Could have a dropped valve due to carbon gumming up on them. However, you should remove the plugs and take a compression check and compare the results with the specs of that machine.

I beleive your engine has a battery powered ignition. Meaning the battery must be fully charged with the charging system working properly in order for the ignition to fire properly. With the key in the off position the voltage should be 12.6 volts, key on will drop the voltage to 12.3 or about. If the machine is running and reved up you will see a max of about 14.5 volts.

You also want to check your grounds. I think there are two, one from the battery to the chassis and a second from the chassis to the block. Remove and really clean both of them. A bad ground will also cause loss of power to the ignition system.

If it's not in the battery and charging system then you you may have to start looking internally.

Please keep us all updated on what you find, first get a manual as that will help you out a bunch.

Larry

Todd sanders
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
thanks for every thing