PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leaking.Older 6x4 Gator

nymariner1
03-26-2012, 12:34 PM
A friend recently "gave" me a 6x4 Gator. It is green n yellow. Has a mechanical dump body. Seems to have a Kawasaki motor and to be around a 1999 or early 2000 model.
I know little about them, but I am pretty mechanical. After dealing with key, tire pressure and fuel issues, I finally got it to start.
However, the transmission took 5 quarts of (10W30) motor oil to even hit the stick. I am assuming it was completely empty and that 'motor oil' is what it requires, being the dipstick says "oil" on it??

Test ride: Had to apply a little troddle or it would stall when going into foward or reverse, but then once in motion, seems to run as it should.

After sitting all night, I see that the oil I put into the transmission had leaked onto the floor. I see no evidence of oil on any "visible" surfaces. IE: Top, front, rear or sides, including where the axels come out. I cannot view the bottom, due to the skid plate that is welded to the bottom of the frame.

Any suggestions/experience as to where this oil is coming from, before I go ahead and remove the entire tranny, so as to take a look?
Thanks,
Larry

Regulator
03-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't have any good idea's for you as to where to look for the leak, but I will extend a "Welcome to the Forum" greeting from one Larry to another...(there's actually one more "Larry" on here too..I am Larry in MD, he's Larry in ME...now we have to know where you are from so you can be identified...hahaha!!!)...there's a bunch of guys on here that are really good with just about every year Gator that has been manufactured, so someone will post up an answer to your question soon, I'm sure...

I own and operate a Trucking Company, so I can truely imagine that the 5 quarts of oil that ended up on your floor looked like you actually dumped a 55 gallon drum of oil...5 quarts is alot of oil to spread out on a floor!!!...that's probably close to a "3 bag" of Speedy Dry clean-up at least!!!...I don't envy your having to deal with THAT mess!!!...

Hope you enjoy the Forum as much as I do...it's a cool place to keep up on Gator stuff...tech support, mods, and showing off pics...be sure to post a few of yours when you get a chance...we love to see new stuff on here!!!

D'oh!!!...I just read your Member Name and see that you are from New York...that will make it easy for us to not get confused now....I'm over 50, so I get confused very easily!!!...hahaha!!!

Larry in MD :Jestr:

Suffolk Dave
03-27-2012, 07:44 AM
The Transmission in you Gator uses "low viscosity HY- Gard JDM-J20D Hydraulic fluid and the use of proper fluid here is improtant because the "wet Disk brakes" are located in the transaxle and rely on proper fluid for operation. The transaxle case splits down the center vertical so your leak could be the gasket at the bottom. Most likely if all the fluid leaked out. Repair/replace the gasket and look for other points of fluid loss then add only J20D fluid and see how she does.
Hope this helps
Suffolk Dave

nymariner1
03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Thank you Dave.
Darn it! I was hoping not to have to pull the tranny. Oh well, that's life in Larry world! :)
You seem to really know this machine. Hope you don't mind my checking back with you from time to time? I will check the case seal, hope it is as simple as that.
May I ask you... Would the issue of stalling as soon as I put it into foward or reverse be related? Seems as if the motor is "always" engaged to the tranny. Is there a centrifugal clutch or some hydrolic action or is it like a lawn tractor, where the brake pedal also dissengages a drive belt? IE: Is the "clutch" internal to the tranny and something I should explore while I have it out?
Thanks, Dave
Larry

purplewg
03-28-2012, 07:50 AM
I agree with Dave as I have done this job before. I only hope the case is not cracked. I bought a totaled Harley one time and rebuilt it. Ready for the first test ride with new paint and stuff. Stood her up, popped it in gear and she pee'd all over the garage floor. Cracked tranny case....................dang.

nymariner1
03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank you "Dang" :)
I have figured out the stalling/shifting issue. Seems a fuel issue was affecting the idle RPMs. Must have smooth, low RPM to shift properly. Now, will remove/inspect tranny... Yuck!
Anyone know the labeling for the intrument lights? My label is missing for the 5 warning/status lights on the dash. I figured out the far right indicates 4 wheel drive is engaged, but what do the others indicate? Oil pressure/temp etc??
Thanks,
Larry in NY

Suffolk Dave
04-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Larry...the dash indicators are H1=battery discharge H2=park brake H3=differential lock H4=coolant temp H5 = oil pressure.
they are lined up on the dash in order 1,5,4,2,3 so you are correct that the right one is diff lock.
Hope this helps
Suffolk Dave

millerdb
05-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Larry,

I know this sounds simple but the drain plug is at the bottom of the tranny and is accessed through the skid plate you mentioned in your post. You might check to see if it is there. Jack up the Gator, put it on some stands and crawl under. Hope this helps.