PDA

View Full Version : Summer heat--thermostat ???

RMOSSSO1
05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Just getting everything ready for some serious riding in JUNE. I plan on either buying the floor mats or getting indoor/outdoor carpet instaled. Main reason is the heat. I called my local dealer and the JD computer was on the FRITZ. He will call back. I also asked him about the thermostat. He informed me that JD specs. a 180 degree thermostate in the GATOR. Hell, I don't even know where it would be, but here is my point.

I have read others post about the heat. Driving in 85 to 90 degree days is liking having a cook out. Anyone know if a cooler thermostat is available? I read some posts about insulating under the hood, but I am gun shy of doing that with all the wires I have for accessories. No bad ideas here. Whadda ya tink????

Thanks, Rich
:Cnfsd::reye::Cnfsd::hdscrh::hdscrh::hdscrh:

RMOSSSO1
05-15-2012, 08:46 AM
I ordered the two piece floor mat from JD yesterday. Interim question for anyone with floor mats. With the floor mat in place is there a noticeable decrease in heat to operator? I plan on using the floor mat as a pounce pattern and then putting outdoor carpeting on top of the floor mat. Does anyone have experience using the floor mats?

Kiwi06
05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
The 180 degree thermostat means that it will open to let coolant flow through the radiator when it reaches 180 degrees. The rating of the thermostat is meant to keep the engine at its optimum operating temperature. Changing the thermostat is unlikely to result in noticeable differences in the cabin. You certainly don't want to make big changes to the thermostat as the engine is designed to run primarily in a certain temperature range. Running cold can cause almost as many issues over the long run as running hot.

I have an open cab (roof and windshield only), so I can't say what the major heat sources are for with a closed cab. On warm days in mine, I find a major heat source is when the radiator fan turns on and blows back into my foot well area. It isn't bothersome to me, so I haven't checked the airflow path, but if it is coming through the front, doors might block enough additional air that it might be something to look at.

In general, I think you are far better off going with insulation than trying to run the engine at a different temperature. Any other potential solutions that spring to my mind involve far more work and engineering than working around the wires. You are shy about disturbing them, but I think if you use care when applying insulation, you can do that quite safely. I would suggest you using experience (either your first hand, or that from the collective forums) to determine the best places to attack with insulation and/or "air control", rather than just starting to slap insulation in place.

Good luck with your endeavors! :cool:

- Steve in CO

Kiwi06
05-15-2012, 08:59 AM
I ordered the two piece floor mat from JD yesterday. Interim question for anyone with floor mats. With the floor mat in place is there a noticeable decrease in heat to operator? I plan on using the floor mat as a pounce pattern and then putting outdoor carpeting on top of the floor mat. Does anyone have experience using the floor mats?

My machine came with stock floor mats. I haven't run without them, but on warm days, I do feel heat in the foot well when the radiator fan kicks on. (I only really notice when the machine is stopped or moving slowly.) I think that beyond floor mats, you probably need to determine how the warm air gets inside. For me, it could even be through the side openings as I have no doors, but I kind of think it's coming from through holes in the "firewall" (for lack of a better term).

I haven't really investigated because I'm OK with it as is (though I'm considering sound insulation).

Hope this helps a little!

- Steve in CO

bowman
05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure about stopping the heat but I put in floor mats in my xuv to stop some of the dust from coming in the floor board. My gator is like a dust magnet.

Bowman
Howell,Mi

jdman
05-15-2012, 10:44 PM
10-4 on the dust its baaadddd!!!!!!!!

Regulator
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I installed Dyna-Mat material underneath my floormats in my 825i and I still get some heat coming through the front of the floor area somewhere...I don't think it's from the floor iitself...I'm kinda like Steve in CO who says that it's like it's coming through the "firewall", for lack of a better description....it's not nearly as bad as it was when I first got my Gator last August at all, but there is still heat that you can feel on your feet and ankles...it's not enough for me to even worry about to be honest because in the summer, I have my doors off all the time anyway, and in the winter, I kinda want that "incedental" heat coming into the cab since I don't have a heater in it....so, unless it gets worse for some reason, I'm keeping it like it is and will deal with a little bit of heat...

Larry in MD :Jestr: