PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket power steering

2255puller
09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Has anyone tried the power steering kit built by ez-steer? Less expensive than the Wicked Built.

I'm thinking about trying one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-GATOR-825i-625i-2011-POWER-STEERING-UNIT-WATER-RESISTANT-NEW-/290778656595?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b3c22f53&vxp=mtr

hoosiervet
01-22-2014, 10:34 AM
I'm interested in the EZ-Steer as well but would like to chat with someone that has installed one first....Anyone out there installed one of those that could answer some questions before I make the purchase?

Thanks,
Bill

Destiny creek
01-22-2014, 11:14 AM
There have been several people that have installed power steering from this forum.try a search on the forum for other threads about the two different power steering kits this is one of the threads
http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?14238-John-Deere-RSX850i-EZ-Steer-Power-Steering-Install-SuperATV&highlight=Power+steering
Or this one
http://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/forum/showthread.php?14051-Power-Steering-options-for-825i&highlight=Power+steering
GO BRONCOS

hoosiervet
01-23-2014, 04:40 PM
I'm just curious how does this work without oil; appears to be just a 12 volt electric motor?

Thanks,
-Bill

Catchad81
01-24-2014, 07:56 PM
I just installed the EZ-Steer. So far I like it. Just had purchased the gator the week prior when I learned ps was available aftermarket, it's the first thing I added. The install is fairly simply after you get the steering wheel off. The instructions with the kit doesn't tell every step so some things you'll have to figure out.

hoosiervet
01-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Does this after market power steering work just like you would expect it to work, turn with a spoke and/or ene had setting still or low speeds. Just can not for the life of me figure out how it works with a 12 volt motor and no oil; just what am I misssing, or better yet what can I really expect installing one of these on my 825i? Any installation instructions or video that I can look at on line?

Thanks,
Bill

DIXIEDOG
01-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Does this after market power steering work just like you would expect it to work, turn with a spoke and/or ene had setting still or low speeds. Just can not for the life of me figure out how it works with a 12 volt motor and no oil; just what am I misssing, or better yet what can I really expect installing one of these on my 825i? Any installation instructions or video that I can look at on line?

Thanks,
Bill

Here's a little explanation of how the electric power assist works....a lot of newer trucks and cars use it as well including F150's

http://www.campingatv.net/atv-electric-power-steering-explained/

hoosiervet
01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
I just installed the EZ-Steer. So far I like it. Just had purchased the gator the week prior when I learned ps was available aftermarket, it's the first thing I added. The install is fairly simply after you get the steering wheel off. The instructions with the kit doesn't tell every step so some things you'll have to figure out.

Is this the one that cost #649.00 or so, at least that's what I saw last about eveywhere. I was going to order it but wanted to make sure there was actual power steering most esspecially backing up at low to now speed. Actual not bad without it moving anyway other than you still pretty much have to steer with two hands; so it works as good as anyohter power steering would, turn it with the palm of your hand and etc? How long did it take you to install it and anything I need to look out for or pay close attention to? What if anything did you do to make sure the steering wheel was straight and squared away when you got done?

Oh I have a 2013 825i and thought you could have ordered factory power steering with it, I didn't but thought you could at least on my 2013, guess I'm not 100% on this either.

Thanks,
Bill

Bunky
01-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Power steering was a factory only option on the Gator. They do not sell an upgrade.

hoosiervet
02-01-2014, 01:38 PM
That is what I remember now, you had to order it to start with not available to install later, I was even told it is a total differant VIN with OEM power steering.

-Bill

captaineddie
02-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Does anybody make a power steering system for the TX?

hoosiervet
02-02-2014, 03:33 PM
I would like to find out from someone that has installed this after market EPS (Electonic Power Steering) powered by a 12 volt electric motor; does it feel and perfrom like any other power steering, esspecially stopped and low speed? How hard was it to install, what to look out for and how long it took. Also did you have to do anything to make sure the steering wheel was straight afterwards? If you know the BEST PRICE and from who. I have a 2013 825i with factory delux cab and didn't buy the doors or a heater any deals on this stuff around; how much and where. Don't really want to give up the glove box so I'm not interested in the heater John Deere has to offer, what is the next best thing out there that would fit, run off the engine coolant, etc? And I don't want to lose my cup holders either. Any help of comments on these subject's woul help me a lot before I order something and regret it later :Thmup:

Thanks,
Bill

Catchad81
02-03-2014, 07:58 PM
I would like to find out from someone that has installed this after market EPS (Electonic Power Steering) powered by a 12 volt electric motor; does it feel and perfrom like any other power steering, esspecially stopped and low speed? How hard was it to install, what to look out for and how long it took. Also did you have to do anything to make sure the steering wheel was straight afterwards? If you know the BEST PRICE and from who. I have a 2013 825i with factory delux cab and didn't buy the doors or a heater any deals on this stuff around; how much and where. Don't really want to give up the glove box so I'm not interested in the heater John Deere has to offer, what is the next best thing out there that would fit, run off the engine coolant, etc? And I don't want to lose my cup holders either. Any help of comments on these subject's woul help me a lot before I order something and regret it later :Thmup:

Thanks,
Bill

I installed the EZ Steer system on my 825i. Actually didn't even have it one week before figuring the ps was a must. The instructions aren't that great, but you have the tools, capable to "figuring things out" as you go to disassembly, the installation is fairly simple. Performance makes steering very easy stopped and low speeds. The only negative I noticed is it feels like the steering "laps" or has a gap, which I think has to do with the angle of the shafts to allow for the steering motor, but it very well could be a function of the electrical motor and the delay with it. I got mine from Super ATV. They will give you a disconnect for mentioning you are a forum member. Of the two systems, best price I could find, and it's plug and play.

hoosiervet
02-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Thanks; but you have pretty much seen the power steering perform like any other power steering; turn it sitting still or low speed with one hand on the wheel, etc? Also anything in particular you need to pay attention to; such as making sure the steering wheel is straight when you put it back on; oh yeah did you have to have a puller to remove it to start with? Did you install this EPS on a 825i without factor power steering to start with? Do the connections plug into the factory ECM; and how did you mount the pilot light/trouble code LED for this? In general what if any of it was the most difficult; did you have to have help? About how long did it take to install it? Can I ask how much the unit cost; and was everything with it you will need? Any parts left over:lol:

Thanks again,
Bill

Catchad81
02-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Thanks; but you have pretty much seen the power steering perform like any other power steering; turn it sitting still or low speed with one hand on the wheel, etc? It makes it easier than it was without power steering. Still some variable here, but if on concrete, I can turn the wheel with one finger.

Also anything in particular you need to pay attention to; such as making sure the steering wheel is straight when you put it back on; Nothing, no way really to go wrong putting the wheel back on. Set your wheels straight, align the wheel the way you want, and put in back on the shaft.

oh yeah did you have to have a puller to remove it to start with? Yes, hardest part really. I only had a three prong gear puller, so rigged up some straps to go around the three spokes in the steering wheel. Thought I was going to break the wheel as it took a good amount of pressure but it came loose.

Did you install this EPS on a 825i without factor power steering to start with? Yes, new and without power steering.

Do the connections plug into the factory ECM; They plug in under the dash on the left side to factory connections. The EZ Steer harnass allows for future connections here as well since it plugs to a main power supply.

and how did you mount the pilot light/trouble code LED for this? Well, the wire for this is really short, so not much option with the way it came. I left it under the dash but angled where I can look under and see if needed. Instructions say it is suppose to blink when you turn the key on, but I looked for this and never have seen it blink.

In general what if any of it was the most difficult; Getting the wheel off mainly...the other was just reading between the lines of the instructions on getting the shafts out and back in. For instance, I think the instructions say to remove the clip under the steering wheel and pull the shaft out...once out remove the bottom clip ring; well you, or I, had to slide down the bottom clip with the shaft in place to get the other end to come through the firewall for the removal and have it down on the new shaft to get everything to go back together. Also, the rubber in the firewall interferes some with slip joint in the new shaft, but I rotated it upside down from factory and it seems to stay in place. And the steering rack joint instructions say to use factory bolt, but the joint came with a bolt as the factory one would not work anyway.

did you have to have help? Nope, one man show.

About how long did it take to install it? I actually divided over two nights because once I got the wheel off, didn't have any snap ring pilers, so had to get some. Assuming the wheel comes off ok, the rest can be done in around an hour or so.

Can I ask how much the unit cost; They say you get 10% off for being a forum member, but it is not off the website price since it includes shipping. Don't really know how they applied the disconnect other than it just over 6 for the kit shipped. A dollar is a dollar.

and was everything with it you will need? Except for the tools.

Any parts left over:lol: The factory shafts are not reused.

Thanks again,
Bill

I'm happy with it after about 12 hours clocked on the machine with it so far. Instructions could be better in regards to step by step, but I'm working on putting a draft control on a tractor and boy did Kubota leave alot to figure out.

The upper angled support is a bit off in the way I think it should look when installed and you will have to cut your plastic tray (only where it fits in the frame) since the bracket bolt takes a part of the slotted notch. My tray never stayed in the notch anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

Can't think of anything else. You can look the instructions up online and go over them. I think you will be happy with the addition of power steering for sure, question is more is it worth the price to you to get it.

Catchad81
02-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Posted in your quote, didn't think it would show up that way...

hoosiervet
02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you very much that helped a lot. I am going to order one ASAP.

Thanks again,
-Bill

Catchad81
02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Thank you very much that helped a lot. I am going to order one ASAP.

Thanks again,
-Bill

Good news...don't hold it against me, but let me know your thoughts afterwards.

hoosiervet
02-07-2014, 08:45 AM
The upper angled support is a bit off in the way I think it should look when installed and you will have to cut your plastic tray (only where it fits in the frame) since the bracket bolt takes a part of the slotted notch. My tray never stayed in the notch anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

I didn't understand this part; is it something you would explain furhter? I assume you are talking about the plastic storeage tray under the hood just to the rear of the radiator area; anything I need to watch out for here? Did you remove the hood or just leave it tilted forward? Didn't think it would be in the way?
Thanks again,
Bill :Thmup:

Catchad81
02-13-2014, 09:32 PM
I didn't understand this part; is it something you would explain furhter? I assume you are talking about the plastic storeage tray under the hood just to the rear of the radiator area; anything I need to watch out for here? Did you remove the hood or just leave it tilted forward? Didn't think it would be in the way?
Thanks again,
Bill :Thmup:

The bracket for the motor has a support bar that goes from the bracket up to the gator frame at one of the notches. Pull out the plastic tray you are talking about and you will see a slotted notch each side of the gator where the tray locks in. I was just speaking of the way the support bar lines up with the gator frame itself. Seems to me it would be fabricated for a straight alignment with the frame. I couldn't get mine to line up in line with the frame like I would have expected.

Nothing really to watch out for here, just be sure it is securely attached.

I left the hood on, just tilted up. Be careful working around it reaching down to the shaft and all.

trussman
02-14-2014, 09:13 PM
I just got my 825i back today after sending it in to JD to install the EZ steer. I have a boss snow plow mounted and it was a bear to steer especially turning around. SO I took the plunge and wouldn't you know it snowed today. I got home and put the plow on and WOW what a difference. So much easier to steer, perhaps I could get my wife to do the plowing.....:BG:

Bunky
02-15-2014, 06:30 AM
How much did the JD dealer charge to install the EZ Steer?

Can you post pics of the installation under the hood?

trussman
02-18-2014, 10:18 PM
The bill just came and it was for 350.00 for installation. I normally would do the installation myself but honestly it was really nice to let them do it.:BG:

MBDiagMan
02-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I have hesitated commenting on this because I don't want to be controversial or come across the wrong way.

I am very glad that the folks wanting power steering have a way of installing it or have been able to get it from the factory. I'm glad you're happy with it and happy you have it.

Except for those extreme situations like a snow plow, I just can't understand why it's necessary. I have an 825i and have put it through all sorts of situations and yeah, it takes a little effort at times, but I just don't find it to be a problem. I'm plenty old enough that I did my first 15 or 20 years of car and pickup driving without power steering, so maybe that is why I can't understand the need for it. Are any of you power steering fans old coots like me that have driven manual steering road vehicles, or are you maybe younger folks that have never driven manual steering cars.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to belittle anyone or anything like that. It's just that I find the situation curious.

DIXIEDOG
02-19-2014, 07:23 PM
I have hesitated commenting on this because I don't want to be controversial or come across the wrong way.

I am very glad that the folks wanting power steering have a way of installing it or have been able to get it from the factory. I'm glad you're happy with it and happy you have it.

Except for those extreme situations like a snow plow, I just can't understand why it's necessary. I have an 825i and have put it through all sorts of situations and yeah, it takes a little effort at times, but I just don't find it to be a problem. I'm plenty old enough that I did my first 15 or 20 years of car and pickup driving without power steering, so maybe that is why I can't understand the need for it. Are any of you power steering fans old coots like me that have driven manual steering road vehicles, or are you maybe younger folks that have never driven manual steering cars.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to belittle anyone or anything like that. It's just that I find the situation curious.

Here's a scenario for you.....driving down a fence line to do repairs on fence as needed.....your tire toward the fence grabs the edge of the apron fence....manual steering the wheel rips out of your hands and you get smacked up knuckles and a Gator against the fence......power steering you just ease away and keep on going. I'll have power steering myself one of these days, going to have to be a lot warmer up here before I tackle that job.:lol:

hoosiervet
02-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Received my EZSteer kit and hope to install it this weekend. Any advice before I get started? Doesn't look to scary but thought I would ask before I get started and run into something surprising. . . . I assumed I would first make sure wheels are straight then pull the steering wheel then the dash. I only can trust I have the right kit, hate to get started and find out I don't. . . . Anyone have a part number for a 825i I can double check this?

Thanks,
Bill:reye:

MBDiagMan
02-20-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the response Dixiedog. Yep, I'll bet that it is indeed chilly up there right now.

As I said in my post, I've been in all sorts of scenario's and funny that you mention it, but I run a lot of fence in my Gator. I've hit a few holes and stumps and such and have never found it to be a serious problem. Yeah, something has snatched on the wheel a few times, but it's nothing that can't be controlled.

Again! I am not trying to start anything or criticize others, I just find it curious.

Catchad81
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Received my EZSteer kit and hope to install it this weekend. Any advice before I get started? Doesn't look to scary but thought I would ask before I get started and run into something surprising. . . . I assumed I would first make sure wheels are straight then pull the steering wheel then the dash. I only can trust I have the right kit, hate to get started and find out I don't. . . . Anyone have a part number for a 825i I can double check this?

Thanks,
Bill:reye:

Doesn't really matter where the wheels are when you pull the steering wheel. You will end of turning the wheels without the wheels on to get to where you need to anyway. Just turn them back straight prior to reinstalling the steering wheel and align the steering wheel to fit your taste.

Catchad81
02-20-2014, 09:09 PM

I grew up farming and while I'm not the age you imply you are, have driven some trucks and tractors without power steering. In this case, I purchased the gator without ps. It was the only one they had at the time, but honestly probably won't of thought much of adding it as an option when I ordered one. However, I'm clearing my property and after driving over rough terrain, old stump holes, etc. figured if you can afford it, why not add it while it is offered. It just makes things easier for me and my wife while operating and getting on and off of the machine.

hoosiervet
03-08-2014, 08:06 PM
I just installed electronic power steering yesterday and it appears to work great, keeping in mind I had no power steering at all to start with! The EZ Steer seems to do what I hoped for but appears to be a little jerky but this may just be the different configuration in the steering column shaft and u-joints. When the weather gets better I will get it out and check it out further. So far I'm happy!!! But I got to say it was a major operation getting the steering wheel off! Took more work and time to do this than anything else, maybe more than the rest of the whole job!! And basically everything was tight quarters and hard to get too. The whole fit was not perfect but decent, and the unit was pretty well engineered for the most part.

Catchad81
03-10-2014, 09:37 PM
I just installed electronic power steering yesterday and it appears to work great, keeping in mind I had no power steering at all to start with! The EZ Steer seems to do what I hoped for but appears to be a little jerky but this may just be the different configuration in the steering column shaft and u-joints. When the weather gets better I will get it out and check it out further. So far I'm happy!!! But I got to say it was a major operation getting the steering wheel off! Took more work and time to do this than anything else, maybe more than the rest of the whole job!! And basically everything was tight quarters and hard to get too. The whole fit was not perfect but decent, and the unit was pretty well engineered for the most part.

Good to hear you got it installed! I felt like it was a bit jerky to start with, probably from the change in shaft lengths, but do not notice it anymore at all.

hoosiervet
03-10-2014, 11:50 PM
I do think there is some flexing going on with the mounting plate some too! I am going to now double check bolts and Mame sure nothing came loose!! It is by far better than not having power steering, boy not digging this jerking here and there either!! May call someone @ EZ Steer too. . . . .

Bill

hoosiervet
03-10-2014, 11:51 PM
I do think there is some flexing going on with the mounting plate some too! I am going to now double check bolts and Make sure nothing came loose!! It is by far better than not having power steering, boy not digging this jerking here and there either!! May call someone @ EZ Steer too. . . . .

Bill

Mr. Moose
03-11-2014, 09:39 PM

I'm 17. I have done lots of driving machinery around and I have never owned any small machine such as a Gator or ATV with power steering I can see how it would be useful and seriously if they offer it why not own it?

I bet you don't go out and buy up all the old vehicles without power steering because you like them better. Our 91 Accord had a leaking power steering line, it was alright, jut add some and you're good for a few days. Well I'm half way to school one morning and the line blew right out, I must say it is no fun trying to shift gears at the same time as trying to steer a car moving slowly around a very sharp corner without power steering, also the fact that it blew half way through the corner really had me shaken up.

Catchad81
03-12-2014, 08:59 PM
I do think there is some flexing going on with the mounting plate some too! I am going to now double check bolts and Mame sure nothing came loose!! It is by far better than not having power steering, boy not digging this jerking here and there either!! May call someone @ EZ Steer too. . . . .

Bill

Bill, I haven't noticed any flexing. You do have the upper angled brace installed correct? also, check your lower shaft and be sure you have tightened the bolt on the slip portion between the two u joints.