PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Australia

la_fletche
11-28-2012, 01:50 AM
I have recently moved from a Polaris Ranger XP 800 to now having a Gator 885D. Let me know what I should know about the Gator. I'm real happy with the looks. Got the accessories, Half screen, Rear headrest screen, roof, brush guard, air snorkel, yellow alloys and bighorn tires & tow bar. There are a few issues that I am sure can be rectified, The steel tray gets very hot from the motor and the dogs can't stand the heat on their feet. Got it upto 35mph today. The belt drive intake and exhaust looks lower than on the ranger so interested in seeing how it goes in deep water.

MBDiagMan
11-28-2012, 08:32 AM
I responded on behalf of your dogs in one of your other threads. I didn't realize that you are down under. I wonder if the rubber horse stall mat is available down there? It comes in 1/4" and 3/8" thick choices and is sold in the bulk. The roll is 48" wide. It is a mildly stiff rubber that's tough and has good insulating properties. We buy it at the farm stores here in the US.

Since you have the snorkel, won't that allow you to ford water like you want?

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted.

G'day!

la_fletche
11-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Doc, thanks for the response, I was more thinking of the belt drive getting wet an slipping rather than the motor sucking water. As for the rubber mat, yes I am looking at that next time I go to a large town 160miles away.
I will keep you posted.

Deputy347k9
11-29-2012, 09:41 AM
I have installed the thickest horse stall mat in the back of my 825i, reduses the floor heat to nearly nothing. My old boy Czar rides with me all the time, he has not complained yet!

Larry in NC

MBDiagMan
11-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Well my old boy "Hairy" doesn't complain about things anyway. In my 63 years on Earth, he might be the best dog I've ever had. He's an Australian Shepherd, Blue Healer cross. I need to get a picture of him in the bed of the Gator, one of his favorite places.

To the OP. I live 20 miles from a town of 25,000. My area is sparsely populated. I thought I live in the boonies, but 160 miles, by comparison, makes me look as if I'm in the middle of Manhattan.:lol: