PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Gator HPX

oleblu72
05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Hello all I just purchase this as none running and my first problem I have to deal with is the starter. When I go to start it as soon as the starter engages it lock's up then you have to play with the clutch to get the motor freed up. So would replacing the starter solve my problem or something else like a starter ring gear or whatever else is in there, I haven't bought a service manual for this yet so I hope someone can help me thank you.

Mark

Jake B
05-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Any luck I ever had when rebuilding a starter was soon dashed by some other starter part failing. Get a new one if you can. It's hard to enjoy your Gator when it will not start.

2370 2371 2372 2373

Jake B
05-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Some more:

2375 2376 2377

oleblu72
05-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks For the tech Jake appreciate it. Yeah I figured on buying a new one. I priced one at the local J.D. store $300 for a rebuilt and $500 for a new one just a tad to expensive for me I thought I might buy one on E-bay for $60 probably wont last that long but I'll at least take a chance on one. I hope the starter in the only problem I have I don't want to have to pull the flywheel, thanks again Jake.

Mark

Jake B
05-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Ouch! For that kind of money I would give a rebuild a try.

oleblu72
05-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Well I pulled the starter and there was what looked like a shim wrapped around the starter gear wherever that came from. I'll have to hook some juice up to it tomorrow and see if I can make it run. I think I'll go ahead and buy a Ebay starter and rebuild this one as a backup if its worth it, it's a Denso starter.

Mark

Dane
05-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Are you certain it is the starter and not the engine? For cost sake I really hope it's simply the starter.

oleblu72
05-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Are you certain it is the starter and not the engine? For cost sake I really hope it's simply the starter.

Yeah pretty sure Dane, I think this might have been a dust cover. What was happening is when the starter was engaged this piece of metal would jam itself between the starter gear and ring gear. The motor turns over fine seems like it has good compression.

Mark

purplewg
05-24-2013, 07:16 AM
You can bench test the starter with some jumper cables. Rather than me trying to explain it, look here (two pages).
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/starter_motor_test/starter_bench_test_1.php

Basically if you put juice to it and the pinion gear jumps out, it should be ok as long as the pinion retracts when you remove power. I have a very similar engine on my stump grinder and it was gummed up causing it not to fully engage. I took it apart and cleaned with brake cleaner and all was well till the solenoid failed.

oleblu72
05-25-2013, 11:22 AM
You can bench test the starter with some jumper cables. Rather than me trying to explain it, look here (two pages).
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/starter_motor_test/starter_bench_test_1.php

Basically if you put juice to it and the pinion gear jumps out, it should be ok as long as the pinion retracts when you remove power. I have a very similar engine on my stump grinder and it was gummed up causing it not to fully engage. I took it apart and cleaned with brake cleaner and all was well till the solenoid failed.

Thanks for the link Purplewg , I ordered one of those cheap starters off of Ebay if this starter still works I'll just use it for a spare.

Mark

jerrymerck
06-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Hi Mark,

Did you have to remove the dipstick tube to replace the starter? I have a 2004 trail gator and the tub is preventing me from removing the starter and I was wondering how to remove the tube or if it was necessary to do so.

Thanks,

Jerry