PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with ignition not turning off engine today

glennj3
08-19-2013, 10:58 PM
I don't know how this happened but my starter stopped turning over ( I usually have to strait wire the solenoid with a wire I rigged up down there). I removed the starter and solenoid, cleaned them and put some silicon on them, they worked great.

I replaced them but things were wacked out crazy.

It would not crank with the key (not unusual) had no lights or other electrical. Eventually I found out the two red wires ( they have been this way a long time) at the solenoid were both connected to the negative solenoid. I separated the two red wires, traced them and put the one that goes to the rectifier to the negative and the other red one to the ignition switch to the hot solenoid. Now I have been working on this problem for several days, so now it cranked up and turned off with the ignition key! So excited because it has not done this in a long time.

I turned it off, connected the lights, they all worked great, blinkers everything like never before that I could remember! So I proceeded to replace the front part, connected all the lights and blinkers, they worked great. I cranked her up with the key, all worked great. Then, she would not turn off with the key!

It was late so I plan to disconnect the lights again and see it that does anything. Then I will trace the black ground to the ignitions switch and make sure it is grounded.

Any other ideas or am I doing something else stupid?

Thanks,

Glenn

By the way I am new to this forum and very happy to find it because I have had my 626 a very long time and hope to keep her running a long time too!

glennj3
08-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Just wanted to follow up for help. I removed the front section with the lights. She cranks up but the key will not turn her off. The ground on the ignition is grounded, all the lights work. I have to squeeze the gas line for a few minutes to stop her.

emnesto
08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Just curious - are the lights ON when you try to turn off with the key. If so, try turning lights off before turning off the key to kill the engine.

glennj3
08-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Found the problem today, on wire from the engine coil got disconnected !! Fixed her up!