Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Differential Binding

Thanks

Unhappy Front Differential Binding

Hi All - I am having a problem with my 2010 XUV825i that I have not seen in the forums. The problem appears the be the front differential is binding pretty bad. This seems to initial happen when I startup the gator back up in reverse. The 4X4 switch is off and the rear axle lock is off. I roll back 10-20 feet and turn the steering wheel and the binding starts to show up. The steering gets very stiff and the front tires feel like they want to drag. If I go forward and back a couple of times it usually releases and then going forward it seems to stop. It definitely feels like the front axle is binding. One other thing that I have seen happen is - if I let the gator roll backwards - steering wheel straight in netural on a grade - it rolls back a few feet and then it stops - again like the front end is binding. I guess I am a little disappoint about this as I have not really worked this gator very hard. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance. Charlie C.

Thanks
    Someone as had this problem before and there is a thread on this problem. Check back in Previous threads
    855 Diesel c/w block heater* High Performance Sport Seats - Black with camo seat covers* Deluxe Cab Frame/Including Windshield, Wiper, Electrical Kit and Rear Window * Power and Front Protection Package * Rear Protection Package * Deluxe Cargo Box w/Polyurea Liner/Brake & Tail Lights & Protector *Back up lights * Front Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Rear Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Interior Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Side Mirrors - Deluxe Cab*Long Range Light Kit * Deluxe Signal Light Kit * Kolpin chainsaw mount*Kolpin double gun cases *4500 lbs superwinch*Hella spotlights*UTV cab heater*

Thanks
    We have an '07 Trail Gator with 600 hrs that did the same thing. To correct it, we had to have the front differential replaced at a cost of $900! Dealership said it was a common problem with these units and it's probably a manufacturers defect but since ours was out of warranty we were SOL!

Thanks
    funny as i was just talking about getting new tires on the 08 850 d the same thing is going on with mine olny going in the forward direction . the front left wheel is binding bad. jacked it up cant feel any binding at all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie C View Post
    Hi All - I am having a problem with my 2010 XUV825i that I have not seen in the forums. The problem appears the be the front differential is binding pretty bad. This seems to initial happen when I startup the gator back up in reverse. The 4X4 switch is off and the rear axle lock is off. I roll back 10-20 feet and turn the steering wheel and the binding starts to show up. The steering gets very stiff and the front tires feel like they want to drag. If I go forward and back a couple of times it usually releases and then going forward it seems to stop. It definitely feels like the front axle is binding. One other thing that I have seen happen is - if I let the gator roll backwards - steering wheel straight in netural on a grade - it rolls back a few feet and then it stops - again like the front end is binding. I guess I am a little disappoint about this as I have not really worked this gator very hard. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance. Charlie C.
    Search for post by me, I have had this issue. I had 7 hours on my 2011 825i when I first had the front diff bind up. I took it in and the dealer replaced the front differential ring and pinon. Then my very next trip out (2 week hunting trip in Wy) it happened again. At this point I only had a total of 38 hours on it (400 miles) and took it back into the dealer Novemeber of 2012. The dealer had it 7 weeks (yes I was pissed) and they replaced the front diff again and a module. They said the module was a recall on a previous gator but changed mine out anyways. When I picked up my gator both tie rod ball joints had not been bolted and were completly loose (ball joint nuts only screwed a couple turns)when I steered either direction. Very DANGEROUS. I got even more pissed at the quality of thier work. Through their test driving ona dirt track next door they didn't notice the loose tie rods and caused damage to the ball joint threads. So now they had to replace the ball joints. So after the poor quality of work they just displayed, I'm wondering if they put the first replacement differential in wrong causing it to bind again or is there something inherently wrong with these front ends?

Thanks
    well took the front diff apart their is a rollre cage it is in many pices and is plastic . fun

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pugwash4 View Post
    well took the front diff apart their is a rollre cage it is in many pices and is plastic . fun
    Can you take pictures? I have had 2 differentials put in mine, under warranty, and I have 40 hours, 400 miles on it.
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    this roller cage is the same as the polairs razer. i will see about some pic too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pugwash4 View Post
    this roller cage is the same as the polairs razer. i will see about some pic too.
    Thanks in advance for a picture!! So is this a weak link or problematic part in the Razor too?
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    my john deer dealer has never orderd one and when i talked to the polairs dealer he was saying that over sized tire have alot to do with them braking. it not a big job to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast