Thread: New 825i Owner from Missouri

Thanks

New 825i Owner from Missouri

Greetings from Central Missouri. I looked at UTV's for over a year before pulling the trigger and ordering a new 825i this past mid-march. I decided the Gator had the most things that I liked over the other brands and looked to be the heaviest built. I found this forum after I had ordered my machine and learned a lot of valuable information. The most favorable was the fact about the $800 rebate that came out May 1. Like I said I ordered in mid-march and the dealer told me I would have it first week of April. Finally got it April 27th. I told the dealer when I went to pick it up that I had heard about the rebate. His reply was "we have no knowledge of that and I don't know how you could have". I told him I had my ways and since they were so long on getting my gator that I wouldn't complete the paperwork now until after May 1. Sure enough Mother Deere came out with the rebate just as was stated here and I saved $800. The dealer was speechless. I was grinning.

A few other things that I learned while reading this forum between the time I ordered and recieved it were the flip side of the coin. The first thing I noticed was the fact that it would "melt" your feet and legs when the electric cooling fan kicks on. I tolerated this up until yesterday when I got fed up and took a roll of gorilla tape and went to work with a little "farm boy" ingenuity. Gorilla tape is black so it is less noticeable than the standard issue silver duct tape. It's pretty sad when you spend the kind of money these things cost and then end up using duct tape to improve on Mother Deere's engineering. It does help tremendously with the heat problem. Insulation would be even better.

Another thing I learned was I should have bought a Prosum cab instead of the Deere poly. I'm not impressed with the poly cab but I guess I'll keep it since no one else but me would pay that kind of money for something like that. I installed it myself to save a few more $$ from the dealer and it was relatively easy other than trying to adjust the doors. Never did get them to where they would latch easily. The first time I got them to latch I had to slam them so hard from the inside I couldn't pull the release from the inside. I was trapped and afraid of breaking something I called my wife on my cell phone to come and let me out. She thought that was quite humorous. A little more farm boy ingenuity and little lube and they are usable. I still wouldn't call them "user friendly". They are laying in the barn now for summer anyway.

My next windshield will be glass too even if it is more expensive. I got the scratch resistant poly but hate the fact that you can't just grab some windex or other standard glass cleaner and clean it. I carry windex and towels in all my tractors and clean my windows frequently throughout the day when they get dusty. I hate dirty windows.

I didn't learn this on the forum but discovered pretty quick that these things steer like a log wagon. First time I sprayed fencerows with the sprayer wand in my left hand and trying to steer with my right hand I said my next machine will have power steering. Of courser 2 weeks after I took delivery, Mother Deere announces that they are coming out with power steering.

Overall I'm still pleased with my machine and look forward to many years of use out of it. I dearly love the way it rides and the fact I can tow it behind farm equipment when I'm moving between farms by myself. Still haven't had to put it in 4WD yet, it seems to go anywhere. Power dump works nice and like the large size bed.

I had bought a used Kawasaki 3010 mule that had nearly 3000 hours on it last summer and seen how useful a UTV was over a 4 wheeler. Gator definitely has a better ride than the mule and way more power but the mule had easier steering and the parking brake was much easier to apply.

Mike

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum! I only joined recently and already have learned quite a lot. I just got my 825i two weeks ago and have noticed that it does
    steer hard. It seems kind of odd that John Deere announced the power steering right after the $800 rebate went off! I haven't really noticed the
    heat issue but I really haven't used it that much.

Thanks
    Mike, "Welcome to the Forum", sound like you have a very well equipped machine! One thing you said that I fully agree with, "Another thing I learned was I should have bought a Prosum cab." I believe the "Prosum Cab" is the best one out there.

AS time goes on I will without quesiton have one. Selling our farm in Maine, relocating to NC. Once the move is over with I should have cash left over and I will purchase the complete cab with glass/wipers.

Take care and don't forget to post some pictures, the older we get the more we like pictures!

Larry in ME