Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 825i Oil Change Question John Deere Plus 4 or Turf Guard Oil

Thanks

825i Oil Change Question John Deere Plus 4 or Turf Guard Oil

So the short story is both dealers are saying that they use the turf guard 10/30 oil instead of the john deere plus 4 oil. Am I crazy to be hesitant in doing that? Or is the turf guard as good?

Thanks in advance

Allygator

Thanks
    Fyi

SECTION I - Material Identity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Item Name
    Part Number/Trade Name JOHN DEERE TURF-GARD SUPREME SAE 10W-30
    National Stock Number 9150PMOTC0148
    CAGE Code 5R396
    Part Number Indicator A
    MSDS Number 192915
    HAZ Code B
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SECTION II - Manufacturer's Information
    Manufacturer Name CONOCO INC
    P.O. Box 2197
    City HOUSTON
    State TX
    Country US

PRODUCT
    Product Name: JOHN DEERE PLUS-4 ENGINE OIL 10W-30
    Product Description: Base Oil and Additives
    MSDS Number: 14702
    Intended Use: Engine oil
    COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
    Supplier: Imperial Oil Products Division
    240 4th Avenue
    Calgary, ALBERTA. T2P 3M9 Canada
    Last edited by Z15; 07-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Z15 View Post
    Fyi

SECTION I - Material Identity
    Item Name
    Part Number/Trade Name JOHN DEERE TURF-GARD SUPREME SAE 10W-30
    National Stock Number 9150PMOTC0148
    CAGE Code 5R396
    Part Number Indicator A
    MSDS Number 192915
    HAZ Code B
    SECTION II - Manufacturer's Information
    Manufacturer Name CONOCO INC
    P.O. Box 2197
    City HOUSTON
    State TX
    Country US

PRODUCT
    Product Name: JOHN DEERE PLUS-4 ENGINE OIL 10W-30
    Product Description: Base Oil and Additives
    MSDS Number: 14702
    Intended Use: Engine oil
    COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
    Supplier: Imperial Oil Products Division
    240 4th Avenue
    Calgary, ALBERTA. T2P 3M9 Canada

Thank you for the information.

Excuse my ignorance but aside from the Plus-4 being a Canadian based company and the turf guard being a US company what does that tell me? I did find where the turf guard is listed in the owners manual as a recommended oil but still want all your guys opinion..

Thanks
    Basically that the difference, the source....They are both average mineral based oils.

If you want to use a JD oil then use what the owners manual recommends. I would not use either one but I am biased.

Thanks
    I am a new Gator owner and have been kicking around what oil to use. I have tractor and pickup. Other than a lawn mower, all my stuff has 6 quarts of oil or more and runs at 2,500 RPM or less. Lots of oil will give good protection if changed correctly for these applications. For the Gator, I have decided to use the Amsoil Motorcycle oil in 10-40 for my summer oil. We get above 100 every summer. For the winter when we can get below 0 (f) I will use Amsoil Formula Four Cycle 0-40.

I do not sell Amsoil and actually use Rotella in my tractor and Mobil One in my truck....since it is so easy to get and does not have to be ordered. I do not have a source to buy Amsoil locally. But for something like the Gator that has such a small oil sump capacity and runs with such high RPM, I feel that the best oil I can find will be of real benefit. I never drive the Gator away from home and can plan when to have the oil on hand. Amsoil has a written warranty and publishes so many tests and studies that I believe are a testimony to how good it is. John Deere oil is fine to use. But that is just me trusting JD. Amsoil puts in writing why their product is good.

Too often on websites you will find someone who says that they have used Ole Joe Oil for 20 years and never had a problem. That is probably true. But if I decide to keep my Gator until it has umpteen hundred/thousand hours on it. I won't have hurt it any by using what i feel is the best oil. I will spend a little more money on Amsoil but not that much more.

Thanks
    How close are you to Wichita?

AMSOIL has a distrubtion center there.....................................

Thanks
    When I order, that is where my oil comes from. I live just a little too far away that it costs more to drive there than it costs to have a big box shipped to me. If I planned better I could get by with ordering.

Thanks
    I let my 550 go with the factory oil for the first 6 hours but switched over to synthetic and change more often than the recommended 100 hour interval. Synthetic not called for in the manual but JD is running the Briggs at 4'100 rpm instead of the usual 3600 max rpm for that engine not to mention being air cooled so I figure I needed all the protecting I can get.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    JD (and all oems) base's oil change interval's on an oil that meets minimum standards, not oils that are good, better or best.

Thanks
    I run full synthetic Mobil 1 10w-30
    2014 XUV 825i power steering camo--Black sport wheels and Bighorns, front and rear protection packages, ops roof, long range lights, deluxe signal and parking lights, mid range lights, sport seats and doors.

2012 RSX 850i camo--3500 lb Summit winch, sport wheel, ops roof, bed rails and more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast