Thread: XUV 550 Engine Info

Thanks

XUV 550 Engine Info

In case anyone wants to know. The Briggs model number for the engine used in the XUV 550 is a model #355447.

Mine is running rich and does not like short trips and idling. The carburetor main jet is not adjustable. I have turned in the idle jet about half a turn (so it barely idles without surging) and that helped somewhat and there was no noticeable difference when running but it does help with the plug fowling. I have on order the 5'000 ft high altitude main jet, Deere #MIU13181, which I hopefully will receive before next weekend.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Dane slowing the idle did it help with shifting? I had the primary clutch replaced and the drive belt in my 550 s4 and it shifts fine until it warms up. As soon as it warms up it won't shift until you turn it off. It's going back int the shop this week and I'm starting to become aggravated.

Thanks
    Since the original clutch was replaced I've not had much trouble with shifting.

Ask your dealer about PIP 14MX234 which is for CVT drive system update. Partially because it might apply and partially because I'm curious what the PIP is for? I've not been able to find any info about it.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Dane,
    I asked my dealer if he knew about PIP 14MX234 and this is what he wrote back (cut and pasted from his email):

yes i was and we were going to do it when the brake repair was done,we have already replaced the clutch and the belt on your unit prior to the new campaign coming out,so we will be installing new kit because there is a possibility that the clutch that was installed wasn't the newer design,talked to Deere in regards to this,because we have already installed new parts,their response was install kit with known good clutch,and this will be the final repair.the kit will be here on Thurs.

It looks as if this is a replacement clutch kit to replace the first clutch kit they designed to fix the shifting problem.

Thanks
    I got my 550 s4 back on Friday. Gulf Trackor replaced the clutch with 14MX234 Kit from John Deere. It looks like this time they tested it. The Hour Meter had about an extra hour on it and it had gone through some mud. They replaced the parking brake assembly so it's working now. It shifts very smooth but for how long that's the question?

Thanks
    Any idea what that clutch kit includes or encompasses?

Thanks
    The primary clutch and a shorter drive belt from what they told me. They think they shipped the wrong clutch the first time. We ran it for about 3 hours with no problems.
    Last edited by vanderrt; 04-28-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks
    At least it runs. Mine, with 24 hours on the motor had to have the carburetor replaced. Oh, and it was "just two months out of warranty" according to the stealership. They blame it on ethanol mix in the fuel. BS. I was using an additive because of the gas and NONE of my other power equipment has ever given me problems. I'm about to give up on JD because of the quality of this junk. Cracked bed and broken parking brake cable are the other issues so far.

Thanks
    You really have to keep an additive in the gas to keep carbon buildup down and fuel lines clean. I use SeaFoam it seems to work great. I do have problems with all my small engines. I had to rebuild my mower and pressure washer this year. I put SeaFoam in all of them now.
    550 S4 JD Green and Yellow, Lexan Vented Windshield, 3000LB Winch, Bighorn Tires, Alum. Alloy Wheels, Poly Roof, Brush Guard, Rear Bumper, Turn Signals, Flasher, and Stop Lights. Side Mirrors and Rear view mirror.