Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Padding the forum?

Thanks

Padding the forum?

Is it just me or is the intro section of the forum getting "padded" with new members?
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    It is spammers....
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Woeii had mentioned a couple weeks ago about admins doing some testing on the forum. I was curious if they were padding the forum to boost search engine ratings since the new people show a zero post count. Otherwise it sure looks like spamming.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    The one difference is that some of the posts actually mention something relevant to the forum (JD machine) which is unusual for spammers.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Yeah, they are all of the format: "Hi, I'm ...". Some use obvious alphanumeric gibberish for names, others look like they might be real but I don't believe them. What is the purpose other than padding numbers?

Thanks
    Given the posts are still present, I assume it is intentional to create users.

But, if you go to the forum main page and it shows the latest member. It is not one of the recent ones but one on 7/27 so appears to be a real member.
    Al

Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    Yep it's an auto feature to introduce themselves. I have been weeding out the fake ones every evening. The fake once have IP addis from China and seem to be a auto program signing and making members. I change the question on registrations once a month but it just never seems to end.
    Just trying to during the summer slow months.

Thanks
    OK. So the message printer is based upon a question you ask them?
    Al

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    OK. So the message printer is based upon a question you ask them?
    I have a human verification settings and welcome settings. The registration I believe asks a question or adds information that the new user would like you to know and if it's not filled out just puts a general "Hi" up in the intro area.

Thanks
    Ban the offending new members. They probably aren't coming back anyhow but best to shut the door. Sometimes they're just trolling or building a post count to get around forums with a minimum post count on new members.

Move the "Hi" threads to the archive out of public view or delete them so valid members are not wading through 3/4+ of new posts being spam.

Spank members like Kerry G who just shotgun through the forum adding emoticons or short BS phrases as a response to 20 posts at a time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast