Thread: Maxxis Bighorn Radial - 855d

Thanks

Maxxis Bighorn Radial - 855d

My 855d Gator has not yet 80 hours and the Maxxis Big Horn Radial front-tires are already almost used (right 90%, left 60%). I have been driving only rarely with 4-weel-drive but mostly on asphalt. The rear tires and the pressure are ok.
    How long do you drive with such tires or with others?

Thanks
    I've got 280 hours on mine. I've notice my tires wearing too, but not that bad. The asphalt is a definite problem. My drive is part blacktop, and I avoid running on the driveway now since noticing the wear. I run 4wd only when needed, and for sure not on the road.

Thanks
    I have about 230hrs on mine and I've plowed snow with it on asphalt quite a bit. Also, the trails I ride on are nasty, shale, loose sharp rocks, steep and a lot of spinning (intentional of course ;) and I am shocked at how little they've worn. I have ridden ATV's for 32yrs and this is my first set of bighorns; best tire I have ever used, hands down. I've heard my sentiment echoed in many other users as well so that would lead me to believe you have some minor issue causing them to wear prematurely.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    Got 330 hours on my 855d. Bighirns are... Ok... But recently they are starting to show quite a bit of wear. I get into mud some... I wouldn't want to much of a less aggressive tire, but this partial blacktop drive i have i think kills it. Has anyone here know anything about ITP trail tire? https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tube...trail-atv-tire

Thanks
    Appears it doesn't come in the sixes i need.

Thanks
    Resurrecting this thread. Now 480 hours....and the fronts obviously wore.

How many hours is everyone getting with these Maxxis Big Horn tires? I'll run this winter with them, but probably be replacing them come spring. I had some ITP mudLites on a Teryx prior to this, and know I had more hours on the Teryx and did not have the wear I do on these Big Horns.....and the ITP tires where very aggressive. Would tear the lawn so don't want to go to that extreme. Just feeling I should get better wearing tires.

Thanks
    I have 300hrs on my bighorns and I plow snow on pavement a lot. I am still amazed how little they've worn. When I'm not plowing I ride rocky muddy trails and have performed several shale hill climbs. If I had to say something negative I would say they've got some cuts from the shale that I'm surprised about. Nothing serious or detrimental to the integrity of the tire but just surprising I guess. Personally, I will never put another tire on anything I ever own. I have been blown away by the traction and durability.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    Jcummins,

Based on your original post did you check the alignment? Uneven wear (R-90% vs L-60%) suggests an alignment issue or always turning in one direction altering the tire load/contact patch.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
    Jcummins,

Based on your original post did you check the alignment? Uneven wear (R-90% vs L-60%) suggests an alignment issue or always turning in one direction altering the tire load/contact patch.
    No I haven't. Is there an easy way to do that?

​But they are not showing uneven wear. Fronts wore much more than rears, but the wear is there on them too. Front additional wear I'm sure is to steering. More and more I avoid my blacktop drive since it appears that has to be the problem. Just not sure how many hours you can get out of utv tires. At 480 hours I guess you need to expect some. But comparing Bighorns to ITP Mudlites, the Bighorns wearing more. Having said that...half of the Teryx's life with me was dirt only....not even close to a blacktop or paved road. Perhaps that is the difference.