Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drain Plug Modification

Thanks

Drain Plug Modification

Here's a simple modification I like to do to all my drain plugs. Not saying it adds any real value, but something I like to do and found it useful for inspection over the years.

I had a number of 0.25" Neodymium magnets laying around, so this is what I used.

FYI... Neodymium magnets are commonly called rare earth magnet and are considerably stronger than the typical magnets found around the house.

Magnet.jpg Paint.jpg
    Last edited by 200mph; 10-25-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
    Here's a simple modification I like to do to all my drain plugs. Not saying it adds any real value, but something I like to do and found it useful for inspection over the years.

I had a number of 0.25" Neodymium magnets laying around, so this is what I used.

FYI... Neodymium magnets are commonly called rare earth magnet and are considerably stronger than the typical magnets.

Magnet.jpg Paint.jpg
    Good idea on the magnet has it picked up much.Just curious i bought an 855d in august was wondering how yours is holding up have you replacedthe clutch or anything major i noticed on the forums several people having clutch issues.
    2014 855d s4 poly cab,bench seats,3500 superwinch,duel batteries
    Waiting list-Cab lights,radio,heater,gun rack,sound proofing

Thanks
    I just bought the 855D and haven't had the chance to use it since it is kept at my parents house 3 hours away. The drain plug is new and the magnet was just added in anticipation of changing the oil the next time visiting them. I've made this modification on all my equipment and nothing ever been found. Like the peace of mind it brings in making inspection easier.

Can't comment on the clutch at this point but will be watching it the next couple of months. The original owner purchased a 3 year extended warranty and it is still in effect until May 2015.

I'll post as things come up, but for now I simply haven't used it much and the Gator only has about 185 hours on it.
    Last edited by 200mph; 10-12-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 200mph For This Useful Post:

flyboy (10-18-2014)

Thanks
    300 hrs on my 855D..... No clutch issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jcummins For This Useful Post:

flyboy (10-18-2014)

Thanks
    My plug came from the factory with a magnet, don't all of them?

Thanks
    you can get the magnets at radio shack i run them on the drain plugs of most of my machines just put a dab of epoxy let dry and its an easy way to keep an eye on things for me plus if theres any metal floating around in diffs and transfer cases id rather it be on the magnet then running though bearings and seals

Thanks
    pcbun,
    The stock drain plug on my Gator did not have a magnet.

Attachment 3182

Osiris,
    Does Radio Shack sell rare earth magnets? Never thought about looking there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    i believe they come in 3 packs at radio shack

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcbunn View Post
    My plug came from the factory with a magnet, don't all of them?
    I did an oil change yesterday and mine had the factory magnet as well. Manufacture date of 5/14 for the Gator. I replaced the copper washer as I was getting a small leak. Got a new one from JD which appeared to be slightly bigger.

Thanks
    My 2013 825i had a magnet..I just changed the oil for the second time.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast