Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Muffler Silencer

Thanks
    I just ordered a kit from Eastwood that is their brand of DynaMat...it covers like 34 square feet of area...plus I bought a couple rolls of the insulating tape to help with edges and such since that shit is supposed to be sharp...the DynaMat (proper) was listed too on Eastwood's site, but it was alot more money, so I am going with the Eastwood brand...also because of all the 5 star reviews for the "good" about it that they have listed....I should have it by the end of the week, and if it gets here, will be my weekend project....I'll take a bunch of pics while I am installing it to post up on here...

Larry in MD

Thanks
    Regulator- I don't know if you have ever used any dynamat type material before but if you haven't clean the area off with rubbing alcohol,allow to dry, and put the deadener on and use a small roller to push it in all the small places and the get air bubbles out and thats it good luck with your project, Ive never used the tape normally just roll it out and haven't cut myself up yet

Thanks
    Osiris...no, I haven't used it before...not the DynaMat style stuff anyway...I have installed regular old insulation doing basically the same thing though...I actually ordered the little roller thingie too when I placed the order...They say the tape is used to join pieces together if you want...I figured that having a roll or two won't hurt anything...I'll see if I need it or not...a bunch of people commented that you need to be careful when cutting the pieces because the aluminum sheeting on top is sharp on the edges, so that's why I mentioned that...I figured too that if any edges are within reach in the cab, having a piece of that tape covering them won't hurt anything...we'll see how it goes when I get into it good....

Thanx a bunch for the tips on installing it though...I was figuring on using either alcohol or lacquer thinner to get the areas good and clean...I appreciate the info!!!

Larry in MD

Thanks
    Regulator- no problem id hate to hear anything went bad ive never tried to remove that suff after its been on there a while but I wouldnt want that would be a nightmare I can imagine

Thanks
    I got my order from Eastwoods today already...it came this afternoon by Fed-Ex...I couldn't believe it only took a day and a half to get the order to me...that box was HEAVY too...I was kinda surprised with that...the stuff looks real nice...heavy but real thin...I'm gonna try to get some on tomorrow if I can...I want to do the outside back of the cab first and see how much that takes away the engine drone before adding a bunch more right away...I scoped out a few other places I want to add the stuff inside the cab under the seats, along the roof line above the rear window, and in the poly doors...I'll probably end up doing the floorboards under the floormats where you put your feet...I'll bet that will cut down on the heat problem some people have in the summertime...I'll probably miss the heat next winter though!!!..hahaha...can't have it both ways I guess...I have a good idea that this stuff is gonna do pretty good at knocking down that excess noise when riding along...from everything I've read about it, and from what people have commented on Eastwoods site about this stuff at how great it works, I think I'm going to be happy with the results....

I've always had great luck with products from Eastwood...I've bought tools, One-Shot sign paints and brushes for pinstriping, POR-15 for lining motorcycle gas tanks, and a bunch of other items over the years...I always get the stuff super fast, and their products are always as good or better than anything else out there...gotta give them props in case anyone else might wanna buy from them...

I'll take a few pics and post up my results tommorow evening...thanx for all your help, my friend...

Larry in MD

Thanks
    the tape would be nice on the floor so the tar like material dont ooze out when its super hot out and stick down your floormats, and if i have to guess you will still get heat transfer from the floor just take a little longer to get warm looking foward to your results though, and all the dynamat type products are thin and heavy, you can do a whole vehicle make a huge improvment on sound quality and reduced noises, and rattle put it back together and make it still look factory just sound whole lot better

Thanks
    Well....I got some of it on today...around the back of the cab below the window...covered all but about 4 inches on either side....plus, put a couple pieces inside for a little extra noise dulling...and a strip up near the roof line inside behind the rollbar where the roof meets the back panel...I didn't get a chance to take the pics yet because I was in a hurry to get some on and then go for a ride down to the Creek to take all 4 dogs swimming...the Wife and Grandson went with me....

Anyway, I will post pics tomorrow to show where I put the stuff...it worked real easy putting on, and I only sliced my finger a few times on the aluminum edging... and as soon as I got going on the ride, I could tell that what I had done was a GREAT thing...the motor noise was alot quieter inside the cab...(we had the doors off, so I didn't try it with them on yet...)...that stuff really dulled the motor droning down a bunch, plus there was absolutely NO wind flapping the Poly Cab anywhere like it usually does...I don't have a Db meter so I can't give you numbers, but even my wife could tell the difference since she rides it alot...and, one other thing that I noticed....I left the stereo on the same volume as it was when I shut it off last time from riding...I'd always have to turn it up to hear it when riding as apposed to sitting still idling....well, after I got going, I realized the radio was obnoxiously loud and had to turn it down pretty quick, so that also told me that the sound of the engine and Poly cab making noise was reduced a bunch....

I still have some more places I want to put a bit more of the Eastwood brand Dynamat...I decided against putting any under the Floormats right away until I can tell whether or not I'll need to...I could still feel heat coming up from around the consul area up front, so I will check that a bit more...I am super happy with the little bit that I did do, and can't wait to finish the job and check it again while riding with the doors on too...I used less than half of the material that they sent in the kit, plus I haven't used any of the insulating tape that I bought with it....I'll have plenty to do all the rest that I want to do easily...

I also found that using a rubber hammer to sort of "tamp" the Dynamat down nice and tight worked really well, especially where there were ridges and rasied areas in the Poly cab on the back panel...the roller was fine, but it wasn't heavy enough to really "hoss" on it too hard to get it nice and smooth...the sticky material under the aluminum top sheet is basically just gooey tar like stuff that has some fantastic adhesive stuff on it...you could mush it in your fingers pretty easily since it was kinda hot today...around 76 degree's or so....it didn't run or anything, and was real easy to apply if you took your time and didn't take all the backing paper off at once....I highly recommend it so far...

Larry in MD

Thanks
    quieter to the ear is good enough for me hopefully itll make a huge diffrence when your all done with it

Thanks
    Finally....here's my pictures on where I installed my (Eastwood Brand) DynaMat sound deadening material....I didn't take "installation" pics, because it's just a simple "clean area, peel backing, and stick it on" thing...definitely not Rocket Surgery....It's really made a difference in how the motor sounds now...alot quieter, plus the engine sound is duller instead of having that "high RPM" kind of whine...it's like I installed a Big Block in it!!!...hahaha...

Anyway...here's the pics...the first one shows the back of the cab and then I added a pic of what's actually visible from behind...hardly any of it shows, and the little corners that do show, I could easily remover if I wanted to...

Then, here's a bit up at the roof line on the inside of the cab....

Lastly, I added some of the material down at the bottom of the back panel inside, plus added it to a few area's where "plastic meets plastic" and makes sounds when riding along from rubbing and such...If I hit it with my knuckle and it sounded "tinny" or loose, I put some DynaMat material on it....

One more thing....I know I said that I was done adding accessories to my Gator, but I saw something that I'm just gonna have to spend the money and get to install in my cargo bed...I would use it mostly to cut down trees instead of having to carry around a chainsaw, and gas, and all that stuff that would be noisy to haul around...here's a picture of one i9nstalled in a pick-up bed.....

What do you think???....it's really a multi-use tool that could be alot of fun to have on hand in case you ever drive into a heard of Wild Boars or Zombies....you never know just what you might run across in this crazy world we live in these days....

And, I just had to add a pic of my Gator the day it was delivered...it looks sooo naked...at this point, I never dreamed that it would turn into a vehicle that I would enjoy riding in and working on so much!!!

That's all for me....hope you saw something that might help you if you decide to add a bit of sound deadening material on your machines....

Larry in MD

Thanks
    looking good, thanks for posting your results Larry

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast