Thread: 6x4 Gator tranny

Thanks

6x4 Gator tranny

Hi folks! I have an older used 6x4 that has developed transmission trouble, possibly from towing too-heavy loads. It is chewing up belts rapidly, the driven clutch plates wobble, and it hesitates with a clunking sound under load.

In forums and on eBay it seems the most common replacement item is the driven clutch at about $260. I discovered that some of the drive buttons were missing and replaced those with a new set, but the symptoms continue. The primary drive clutch looks fine, the drive chains are in good shape, and I adjusted the chain tension per the manual. Does anyone have any experience with similar problems? What is the most likely diagnosis?

Thanks
    I replaced the transaxle driven clutch today and it seems to have fixed the problem ($260 on eBay, $308 from my local JD distributor.) Comparing the new clutch with the old one reveals that it was completely chewed up, the bushing at the bolt end was worn flush with the housing and fused in place, the pulley was wound with lots of string from who-knows-how-many old belts, and the movable pulley plate had a whole lot of axial play. With the new driven clutch installed it shifts smoothly to forward or reverse with no clunking, and it adjusts smoothly and quietly under load.

If you order a replacement driven clutch for yours, be aware that there are two different mounting bolt sizes with different threads and diameters. The bushing to match your mounting bolt does not come with the assembled clutch and must be ordered separately. My 1996 6x4 Gator (not TH 6x4) uses an 8mm left-hand threaded bolt. Measuring the ID of my old bushing I thought it was 10mm ID, but when I got the new bushing home I found the bolt actually is 8mm. I guess the bushing was just that badly worn. The lesson learned is to measure your bolt, not the ID of your bushing. The parts diagram also shows a large-diameter washer at the transmission end of the clutch shaft, which I did not find installed when I removed my old clutch. My JD distributor assured me that washer was deleted from later model years and is not needed. We'll see!

Thanks
    Good info man!