Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Wheeling Problem

Thanks

Free Wheeling Problem

just bought a new 855d. love it except it free wheels going down hill. Very dangerous! talked to service rep at 800 number, they said it's normal. What is normal about that? Does anyone know if Deere is working on this problem? I suspect a polaris transmission in a gator. nothing I have ever been on does this.

Thanks
    It should only free wheel if you let the engine rpm's drop too low. When you start to free wheel, give the engine a little throttle. The transmission should engage and slow you down. You should also be in low range for maximum braking. It took me a little while to get used to the process but it does work. Seems counter intuitive to give the engine gas to slow down but that's what you need to do.
    Let us know how you fare.
    Steve

Thanks
    the cvt is Team Industries. Keep the rpms up a bit, play with the throttle. It is not so much a problem as a minor inconvinience and not dangerous if you use caution on steep hills. Polaris rangers do that as well.
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

2018 825e--- Warn 4500 ProVantage s winch, LED pod lamps, K&N Dry flow air filter, Super ATV half windshield, KFI 66" plow.

RSX 850i- Camo Trail model.--JD Half Windshield, Sport Roof. (sold)

2011 Camo 825i--- 4500lb Superwinch Terra series, K&N Hybrid dry flow filter, Warn 350F wireless fog lights, Kolpin half windshield. (Traded in.)

Thanks
    I understand. my question is why does deere allow this? If I pay this much for a vehicle, I expect it to perform well. I should not be expected to throttle up, brake at the same time to prevent something my twenty year old murray mower does not do. This is not common on others and should not be on a Deere. We should be able to expect engine braking, and good brakes, something this machine does not have.

Thanks
    I think you will be in the minority on this, several in the industry perform this way, plus motorcycles at an extra cost are going to this type of transmission on dirt bikes and some street models. This should have been covered on your test drive at the dealer before you purchased a Gator, you did test drive one, right?

John
    Usually found down by my lake or cruising the neighborhood

Thanks
    I guess I should have asked the dealer about going down the hillside... since it's 50-60 feet downhill, and by going slowly, the solution suggests speeding up to get the trans to catch... once i do this will it hold or let go further propelling me down the hill even faster ??? I have forbidden anyone here from driving on 80 % of the property till we figure this out,,,,
    and it is not worth owning for staying just on the top of the ridge.... my lawnmower is a four wheel drive ...and it works nicely down the hill.... are there other gators which won't let go ???? 10 hours on a new CX...
    I believe that it is a fair expectation to expect the drive system to stay engaged... since the brakes on 2 wheels isn't enough to stop on the hill.....
    bill

Thanks
    I don't see a problem with hills at all. I use low range if it is a very steep decline and like everyone said just play with the throttle give it a light tap to keep the cvt engaged. As for it having good brakes. I can stop just fine. The brakes require some "break in" time for the pads to seat in. More so than other ones I have seen but none the less they work great.
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

2018 825e--- Warn 4500 ProVantage s winch, LED pod lamps, K&N Dry flow air filter, Super ATV half windshield, KFI 66" plow.

2011 Camo 825i--- 4500lb Superwinch Terra series, K&N Hybrid dry flow filter, Warn 350F wireless fog lights, Kolpin half windshield. (Traded in.)

Thanks
    getting used to it. but I'm keeping it on the level, just around the place. Still cannot believe Deere(or anyone) would put out something with this transmission and no brakes. I could live with the transmission if it had good brakes. everything else is top notch. just don't get yourself in a bind, and have to rely on the brakes.

Thanks
    I just hit the 25 mile mark on my 825i and the brakes are just now seated in good just give yours some time.. I felt the same way as you even brought it in and had my son help me blead them called my deere store and that is what they told me.. that they needed to seat and they did.. The down hill stuff just takes some getting use to.. Like any other to got to play with it a little to get the feel

Thanks
    Same here with the brakes. A few good long hard stops and they are 10x better now. I have 290 miles on her now
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast