Thread: Transmission

Thanks

Transmission

I have an HPX 4X4 Trail Gator that I purchased used about a year ago. Since then, I have had a bit of clutch trouble (it has been replaced) and now, all of a sudden, it will not seem to go into gear at all (I literally stopped, put it in neutral, turned it off, came back 10 minutes later, started it and it would not shift).

The Mechanic at my local John Deere Dealer does not want to tear into the transmission to find out what's wrong. He would rather replace the whole transmission.

Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?

Thanks
    Will it go in gear without the engine running? Most of the time I have seen this is when the idle is too high. I bet he wants an arm and leg to replace that tranny. They are pretty simple to work on. If it were me I certainly would clear a spot on my bench, remove the tranny, open her up carefully, and inspect, IF and only IF you can't shift it into gear with the engine off, linkage disconnected at the tranny, and you can't shift it into forward, neutral, or reverse manually. I think they want over $2K for a tranny.

Thanks
    With the linkage disconnected, it does appear to shift (or at least it moves) with almost no resistance (whether the engine is running or not) which seems odd. On previous machines I have had, they all seemed to have some resistance to shifting back at the tranny.

Thanks
    Sounds to me like shift shaft pin is broken. I think I paid $80 for it. Might have been $60 though....

Thanks
    I am pretty sure your tranny is made by these folks. https://www.tufftorqservices.com/Env...tml/login.html

Thanks
    do you no of any used transmisions for 6x4 gator ?

Thanks
    David, I have seen some for sale used but they cost as much as one for a modern auto. They are not really that hard to work on.

Thanks
    its not really the insides i need its the casing my gator was used for saltting and the aluiminin casing has all detearated