Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Title, registration and Plates in Ohio

Thanks

Getting Title, registration and Plates in Ohio

I wanted to Register and License my Gator so I can run it between Farms that are 1.5 miles apart, possibly take it to Southern Ohio to the ATV Trails and also have proof of ownership in case of theft. Keep in mind. I have Safty Belts, Turn Signals, Break Lights, Horn and a Slow Moving Triangle mounted on the Tail Gate. Well I've been to the DMV 3 times now and still have to go back!

First Visit - To the DMV. I had my Bill of Sale and Proof of Insurance. I was told they need a Certificate of Origin to license it. BTW, it would not be street legal because it goes too fast. But as long as I keep it in the ditch I can take it from farm to farm with a slow moving vehichle triangle. Whatever... at least it will be registered.

Off to the Dealer. They call John Deere and request a Certificate of Origin. Got it in the mail in a week. Not bad turn around at all.

Second Visit - To the DMV I had my Bill of Sale, Proof of Insurance and Cartificate of Origin. Was told to go to The Title Bureau. Thank God it was just next door. Was told I didn't need the Bill of Sale or Proof of Insurance but Sorry, you need an Out of State Inspection because it has never been Titled. What the Hell!

Third Visit - I Hooked up the Trailer, loaded the 825i and took it back up to the DMV which is where the Inspections are done. And was informed it would be $3.50 for the inspection and if the girl couldn't find the VIN easily I'd get charged anyway and have to go to the Ohio State Patrol for them to find it. Luckily it was easy to find. Passenger side on Frame Rail under the front of the bed. After a $3.50 BS Inspection, she filled out the Form and then she read the VIN off the COO as I confirmed it off the Frame Plate. BS BS BS!!!

Anyway, now I have the Certificate of Origin and Out of State Inspection. Back over to the Title Bureau. Now this gal says "Uh oh... You need the Bill of Sale to proove you paid tax." Now I'm really upset. I told the lady, you know what...Forget it! I wanted to say F*** It! but held my temper. She said with a nasty attitude "You have to title it. It's just like a car." I said if it's like a car how's come it can't be street legal and go on the road!!! She says "Because it goes too fast!" What the Heck does that have to do with it!!!

Anyway, I have Wednesday off work so going back up to the Title Bureau with the Bill of sale, to proove I paid tax, Proof of Insurance, Out of State Inspection Form, Certificate of Origin and $16 cash so I can get my Memo-Title. Then over to the DMV to get the Registration and Plate for who knows how much! I should have just kept going up and down the road like I'd been doing for over a year now.

Just thought I'd let my fellow Ohio 825i owners what to expect.
    Jonny2guns4u

"I won't be wronged... I won't be insulted... I won't be layed a hand on... I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Thanks
    and I thought NJ was FUBAR ! Good luck my friend !

Thanks
    I just setteled for full coverage insurance and said to he(( with the DMV. WV laws are stupid money pits. I'll plead ignorance and beg forgiveness if ever stopped riding on the backroads. Good luck friend, it sounds like Ohio and WV are quite similar.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    I wished Alabama would allow us to get our tagged!!! Yall are lucky.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere Nick View Post
    I wished Alabama would allow us to get our tagged!!! Yall are lucky.
    Tagged does not mean Street Legal. It just means the VIN is Registered with the State and they get an Annual Revinue.
    Jonny2guns4u

"I won't be wronged... I won't be insulted... I won't be layed a hand on... I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Thanks
    I am in Ohio as well. I did some research because I had similar concerns. I also have 2 farms about a mile or so apart. The gator falls into the category of a utility vehicle as defined by the Ohio Revised Code 4501.01(vv). It is not a "motor vehicle" as defined by law ORC 4501.01(B) for titling purposes. "Utility Vehicles" are specifically excluded. It is not eligible to be titled under ORC 4505.01. There are other issues as well such as windshields, wipers, rear view mirror, etc. ORC 4513.23 and .24. These items are required to be "street legal". The inconsistency is due to the fact the gator is not condiered a "motor vehicle" under the title sections but the gator is considered a "motor vehicle" for equipment and operation. Total nonsense.

Now for the good news. As long as you are using it for ag purposes you are permitted to use it on the road. I keep an ax and/or chainsaw in the bed of mine in case I am stopped. My story is I am heading to remove a tree which fell into the field from the fence row. This winter I will put a bale of hay in the bed or leave the ax with a chain. Truth is you will probably get stopped even if you have a tag due to officer curiosity and the equipment requirements (wiper, mirror, etc.). More likely a State Trooper than a Deputy Sheriff. Deputies are usually more understanding and don't mess with the farmers since their boss is an elected offical. The slow-moving vehicle emblem only helps if you do not exceed 25 mph. If you go over you violate the law.

I just try to be as compliant as I can. I am like you in that I got the signals, light/flashers, windshield, and wear the seatbelt. I still jsut wait until I cannot see ANY vehicles and then gun it. It sucks that our law has us in limbo. This is not to say you won't be able to ge the title and tags. Many license bureaus do not know the vehicle. they assume it is a "receational vehicle" as defined by law which you can license and title. However, this can present a new set of problems i.e. expense of tags each year and possibly being classified by law enforcement as a recretional vehicle and subject to those laws which a Court may agree with due to your voluntary act of getting a title. That is to say you may give up your right to use the ag exception.

Good luck with whatever you do and let me know how it works out. If I ever get pulled over I will let you know how it goes. Please do the same.
    Last edited by 53brownie53; 10-04-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Oh, please explain the point of getting a tag for it then. I am miss understanding then.

Thanks
    In PA if you are going to operate it on any property other than property you personally own you MUST get it registered and obtain a tag for it, even if for example if a friend owns a 800 acre farm and he allows me to ride my Gator there, because I do not personally own the property I must get a tag for it. Additionally, there are several state parks that have ATV/UTV trails and the Gator must have a plate on it in order to be operated within the park.

Finally, a municipality can pass an ordinance that allows an ATV/UTV to operate on certain public roads, of course the ATV/UTV must have a plate on it in order to be allowed to operate on those roads.

Hope this helps explain a little

Dan

Thanks
    I have my 825i registered as an off road ATV and do use this for going between fields. When driving between farm area I do operate on the shoulder of the road at a speed of under 25mph. Just for my safety I do have the emergency 4 way lights on. The most important issue here is to have your machine registered, regardless if the machine is going to be operated off your property, Why? Because once the machine is registered with your home State then your vehicle description, Color, Weight, VIN number, Owner Name, Address and DOB are now on file. In the sad event of your machine being stolen it becomes much easier to enter the machine into NCIC (National Crime Information Center) that is operated by the FBI and allows for tracking. I had a Harley stolen in my patrol area nearly 15 years ago, bike was registered and I did enter the information into NCIC. Ten years after the fact the bike was located in Washington State, quite the distance from Maine. An individual who had just purchased the bike attempted to register it at his local Washington State DMV it came up stolen when the VIN was recorded. Seems bike had been sold several times and must have been operated with no proper plates. Well the man lost his bike as it was returned to Maine where the Insurance company claimed it. Just about anything that has a serial number, make, model, color, description and value can be entered into NCIC, i.e. chain saws, bikes, trailers, ATVs, snow machines, vehicles and so on. Well worth the time spent making the complaint. By the way, on the stolen motorcycle we were able to trace back the three owners to the the actual person who stole the motorcycle, neighbor! Charged and found guilty of felony theft.

Thanks
    After 2 more hours at the Title Bureau and the DMV this morning, I finally have a Title, a Registration and an ATV Plate. Several Reasons to go through all the headache. All mentioned above. Theft Recovery the most important.

Keep in mind, they kept reminding me (and it is printed across the top of the Title and Registration) Off Road Use Only. However they also said at both places, "If you keep it on the bern you are legal to take it between farms." The DMV has to get their $h1+ together on these machines!
    Jonny2guns4u

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast