Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 825i test drive experience

Thanks

My 825i test drive experience

Hello everyone!

I do not currently own a Gator, but after reading up on the 2011 825i, I thought this was the machine I have been waiting for!!! A great mix of utility and play, I thought it was too good to be true!! So, i decided I should take it for a test drive and I thought I would share my observations and ask a few questions with everyone here if I may..

First off, when I first set eyes on the machine, I noticed how good it looked. Almost better in person! Second, the salesman started it up and wow. Very unique sound...He told me to take it for a spin and this leads me to my first question.

What RPM do you find the CVT kicks in at? This one was revving to almost 3000rpm before it moved which seemed excessive to me but I have only ever owned Honda ATV's with regular gearboxes or the newer automotive gearbox.

I will say that the salesman seemed to think the belt was wet from being stored outside which leads me to my second question...

What is everyone's experience with the CVT in general? When I was looking at it from the rear, I was surprised to see an opening where I could see the belt and Secondary clutch. I thought this was an "enclosed" CVT?!

In the end I was not all that impressed with the machine as it seemed sluggish but I think it had something to do with the belt being wet (high RPM engagement etc). I told the salesman I would return in a week and give him some time to dry it out etc...

I loved everything else about it however. Seats were very comfortable, digital dash very nice...And the general look is fantastic!

Sorry for the long post. I welcome any questions anyone has or any insight you can give me. Thanks!

Cheers

Keith

Thanks
    Good to hear!!!
    I will try and help you out.
    Like you said yes the 825i does look good!! and the sound is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The RPM thing is a little high I am not sure off the top of my head when it engages but its not 3000 rpms more like 1000 rpms. (i am sure other guys will chime in)
    It could be wet but i am not sure.
    Yes the seats are nice the digi dash is great also.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Any more questions just ask! Don't be afraid
    2011 Camo 825i Gator
    2007 Camo Rhino 660 traded in
    2000 Gator 6x4

Thanks
    The RPM thing sounds high to me, I actually thought that mine takes very little RPM to get it moving and as far a power just hang on and it goes fast enough for me. I also ride motorcycles, mainly dual sport bikes, that is on and off road bikes, the Gator 825i is no dual sport bike power wise, but for what it is, its got good power. The engine and transmission setup on UTV's is quite different then what I was use to, (motorcycles) so it takes a little time to get use to the feel and drive of a Gator, I thought it was odd at first myself. I've only ridden one ATV and it was a Honda 400 or 450 with standard trans, it felt like a dirt bike compared to the Gator, so I know somewhat how they compare driving wise. I think you need another test drive with a Gator that is running properly if that one is not and remember not all sales personal are up to date on their products and will tell you almost anything. Before I forget, welcome to the forum.

John
    Last edited by trainman; 10-26-2011 at 05:13 AM.
    Usually found down by my lake or cruising the neighborhood

Thanks
    I just tap the gas and Im moving. 3000 Sounds way to high
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

2018 825e--- Warn 4500 ProVantage s winch, LED pod lamps, K&N Dry flow air filter, Super ATV half windshield, KFI 66" plow.

RSX 850i- Camo Trail model.--JD Half Windshield, Sport Roof. (sold)

2011 Camo 825i--- 4500lb Superwinch Terra series, K&N Hybrid dry flow filter, Warn 350F wireless fog lights, Kolpin half windshield. (Traded in.)

Thanks
    After reading your post my curiosity was sparked and I jumped in my gator to test it out and mine starts pulling about 1400rpm. I too was a clutch tranny quadracing/dirtbike rider at heart so the gator was a big step towards utility for me. The CVT took some getting used to but so far I am very happy with it. I have had her in some deep water and mud with no adverse effects. Hope this helps you make your decision.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    REKLUSE has a clutch for motorcycles and ATV's that performs much the same way that the Gator and other UTV's perform, https://www.rekluse.com/

It is not en-gauged at idle speed, will en-gauged when the RPM increases above idle (you set the clutch when you want it to en-gauge), you are free-wheeling at idle, you have to give it gas to en-gauge it so going downhill you either have to increase the throttle or use the brakes, and you can shift the transmission when you back off the throttle, which you can't do on the Gator because it does not have a manual transmission. Takes a little getting use to, but my fellow riders really like the way it works. It's in the $500-1000 price range, just think, on the Gator it's free.
    Usually found down by my lake or cruising the neighborhood

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Landscaper View Post
    Good to hear!!!
    I will try and help you out.
    Like you said yes the 825i does look good!! and the sound is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The RPM thing is a little high I am not sure off the top of my head when it engages but its not 3000 rpms more like 1000 rpms. (i am sure other guys will chime in)
    It could be wet but i am not sure.
    Yes the seats are nice the digi dash is great also.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Any more questions just ask! Don't be afraid
    Thanks a lot Landscaper. That RPM sounds much more reasonable. :)

Cheers

Keith

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    The RPM thing sounds high to me, I actually thought that mine takes very little RPM to get it moving and as far a power just hang on and it goes fast enough for me. I also ride motorcycles, mainly dual sport bikes, that is on and off road bikes, the Gator 825i is no dual sport bike power wise, but for what it is, its got good power. The engine and transmission setup on UTV's is quite different then what I was use to, (motorcycles) so it takes a little time to get use to the feel and drive of a Gator, I thought it was odd at first myself. I've only ridden one ATV and it was a Honda 400 or 450 with standard trans, it felt like a dirt bike compared to the Gator, so I know somewhat how they compare driving wise. I think you need another test drive with a Gator that is running properly if that one is not and remember not all sales personal are up to date on their products and will tell you almost anything. Before I forget, welcome to the forum.

John
    Thanks John! Glad to hear I was not alone with that "odd" feeling. I will definitely give it another shot this weekend. Thank-you for your reply and thank-you for making me feel at home here!

Keith

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 825joe View Post
    I just tap the gas and Im moving. 3000 Sounds way to high
    Thanks 825Joe. Looks like Duling confirms your thought. :). (1400rpm)

Cheers Keith

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duling View Post
    After reading your post my curiosity was sparked and I jumped in my gator to test it out and mine starts pulling about 1400rpm. I too was a clutch tranny quadracing/dirtbike rider at heart so the gator was a big step towards utility for me. The CVT took some getting used to but so far I am very happy with it. I have had her in some deep water and mud with no adverse effects. Hope this helps you make your decision.
    Thanks Duling!

Yeah, it felt very foreign to me for sure!! But I think as you say, I will get used to it in no time...

A question about the deep water..Do you find that low CVT intake sucks water in? That was one of the first things I noticed...Thought it was quite low...Of course, as someone has already said, the salesman had no idea what it was *rolls eyes* LOL

The thing I love about John Deere compared to other UTV companies is the accessories..WOW! They have a huge selection. I need to watch myself or I will walk away with a $22000 Gator lol

Cheers

Keith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast