Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing the oil

Thanks

Changing the oil

Went ahead and changed the oil in the 825 at 50hrs yesterday. Cussed and swore at the magnetic drain plug that a first wouldn't drop out and made the oil splatter all over as it drained out. Once I was able to move it away from the drain pan it stuck to the upper side of the skid shield and was hard to reach. I'm going to replace it with a non-magnetic type next go 'round. Also installed a cable stay to stop the bed from opening so far back that it disconnects the shock from its ball fitting.

Thanks
    I would talk to the dealer about the shock. It shouldn't over extend like that. Never ran into that problem changing the oil. It does help collect any metal shavings or metalic debris from the oil which is helpful.
    Moscow Lodge PA #504

2018 825e--- Warn 4500 ProVantage s winch, LED pod lamps, K&N Dry flow air filter, Super ATV half windshield, KFI 66" plow.

RSX 850i- Camo Trail model.--JD Half Windshield, Sport Roof. (sold)

2011 Camo 825i--- 4500lb Superwinch Terra series, K&N Hybrid dry flow filter, Warn 350F wireless fog lights, Kolpin half windshield. (Traded in.)

Thanks
    Hopefully this was your second oil change? The first one is due at 8 hours.

Leonard

Thanks
    Yea, its the second. First one at 8hrs , second at 50 and third at 100, then regular schedule. I will mention the fact that the bed will go back far enough to disconnect the shock from its ball/socket plastic thing next time I'm at the dealer. I was surprised that the bed could be extended past its limit. Was easy to install a cable stop however. As far as the oil plug is concerned, I would rather keep it but its magnetic effects made it crazy to get it out of the way and then it kept moving around on the skid plate. I think it would work better if the access hole in the skid plate were bigger..I may take a look at enlarging it next time!

Thanks
    I just took my Skid Plate off during the change. Just a few bolts and makes access much easier and cleaner.
    Jonny2guns4u

"I won't be wronged... I won't be insulted... I won't be layed a hand on... I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Thanks
    I'll try that next time, its sure to be easier and cleaner! I'll look into having the opening enlarged then as well.

Thanks
    Please think twice before replacing the magnetic drain plug. As you know they are there to collect any fine metal shavings that could get into the oil system. Simply cross threading a drain plug might allow for metal that could get into the bearings. I have magnetic drain plugs on ALL engines that I own. Removing the skid plate really does make the job easier and also allows me to do a little extra cleaning while down there as eye balling the area for any potential problems.

Take a deep breath and count to ten! At least that is what my wife tell me when she starts hearing dirty words coming from my mouth.

Larry

Thanks
    I was thinking I could replace the magnetic plug with the magnets that clamp around the filter, I think they will do the same job removing the small metal particles but make it much easier to get the plug out and back in.

Thanks
    I agree with you on the magnetic plug being a pain but I found using a deep well socket solved my problem. For some reason it will stay in the deep socket and not the normal ones. I hold it to the side and it seems to come right out and works well to get it started after the oil change.

FYI ... I own Sears Craftsman sockets.

Tim

Thanks
    I was using a Craftsman deep socket but as soon as the plug came loose it just stayed stuck just outside of the threads which is what made the oil splatter instead of just draining straight out. Not a big problem but damm annoying and messy. In the future I'll remove the skid plate which I think will solve the problem, I still will get a magnet that fits around the filter and get rid of the oem drain plug.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast