Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch removal

Thanks

clutch removal

I have a 2002 4x2 gator and want to remove the primary clutch.Is the clutch pressed on the motor shaft? I took the bolt out and pryed some to no avail.

Thanks
    It is a pressed fit, There is a special puller bolt that screws in to clutch for removal.

Thanks
    do you know the specs on the puller bolt?

Thanks
    No, sorry i don't, I would assume it is metric threads.

Thanks
    The bolt i took out is about 5"long and has a 3/8-24 thread.I can only see threads in the motor shaft.How could a puller work if there's no thread in the clutch itself?
    Got me confused

Thanks
    Feel inside the clutch and you will find the threads, The puller bolt is threaded on the outside which screws into the clutch and is tapered down on the end which pushes against the crankshaft to remove clutch.

Thanks
    Okay,i just looked with a flashlight.Now if i knew what the thread was,I could make one.Maybe my local john deere dealer will loan me one.
    thanks

Thanks
    You can easily duplicate the JDG813-1 removal tool. Cut a 3" length of 1/2" un-threaded steel rod. Square off and de-burr the ends, but don't round them over. After removing the mounting bolt & washer from the end of the primary clutch, insert the rod into the crankshaft hole. Follow it up with a 9/16"-18 X 3" SAE bolt (No it is not metric). Hand-tighten it until it contacts the 3" rod. You can then either tighten the bolt manually, or, as the tech manual recommends, carefully use an impact wrench. When run far enough in, the whole clutch assembly will pop free of the tapered shaft.
    When using an impact wrench (which is by far the easiest way to separate the clutch from the crankshaft), be very careful not to run the bolt in so far that the un-threaded portion runs past the entry to the hole in the crankshaft. If this happens, you'll clobber the female threads at the end.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnehowe For This Useful Post:

apriordan (08-08-2015),GATORPANTS (02-08-2016)

Thanks
    Wow, Johnehowe....GREAT tech post on how to make your own clutch puller!!!....for a first post, you really knocked it out of the ballpark most certainly!!!....this will be a thread that will be used by a bunch of people to find out how to make one themselves.....thanx a bunch for that!!!

One other thing...Welcome to the Forum!!!....you'll find that there are a bunch of fellows on here that will go out of their way to help someone work on their Gators, or to give advice when it comes to making modifications or buying accessories...we've amassed quite a few great tech posts just like the one you just made that will help out folks in the future...and that's what makes this Forum a great place !!!

Keep the posts coming, and remember....we LOVE pics of your own Gator or projects!!!

Larry in MD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnehowe View Post
    You can easily duplicate the JDG813-1 removal tool. Cut a 3" length of 1/2" un-threaded steel rod. Square off and de-burr the ends, but don't round them over. After removing the mounting bolt & washer from the end of the primary clutch, insert the rod into the crankshaft hole. Follow it up with a 9/16"-18 X 3" SAE bolt (No it is not metric). Hand-tighten it until it contacts the 3" rod. You can then either tighten the bolt manually, or, as the tech manual recommends, carefully use an impact wrench. When run far enough in, the whole clutch assembly will pop free of the tapered shaft.
    When using an impact wrench (which is by far the easiest way to separate the clutch from the crankshaft), be very careful not to run the bolt in so far that the un-threaded portion runs past the entry to the hole in the crankshaft. If this happens, you'll clobber the female threads at the end.
    I actually tried this about 5 weeks ago,but instead of a bolt,i borrowed a tap from work.Bad mistake,when i put my bad boy earthquake gun on it,it snapped the tap inside the clutch. I should have used a less hardend bolt.I have been driving it without the mounting bolt ever since,and still has not worked loose.Now,i will have to fabricate a tool to try and remove the tap.(a regular tap remover tool does not work,this was a 3 flute tap)Them clutches must be on TIGHT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast