Thread: '99 Electrical Issue 6X4

Thanks

Question '99 Electrical Issue 6X4

My name is Kevin and I?m new to the forum. I?ve been looking and lurking on the forums looking at various items prior to buying my machine.
    I recently purchased a 1999 6X4 gas, dump bed serial number W006X4X030215. There is no hour meter so I have no idea about the use. There was enough grass and mud on the bottom of the frame pan to plant potatoes. I?m the third owner. It has some body cracks, which seems to be a common occurrence. I?m having the hood coated with LineX after adding some steel reinforcements. All the other plastic parts are solid.
    It seems to have been serviced recently. There are no leaking seals; all fluid levels are good and stable. It seems to have a newer radiator, seats are newer, fuel system filters, lines etc. I?m very happy with my purchase.
    It ran great until yesterday. The battery is fully charged. There is no voltage at the ignition switch. No headlights, dump function, no familiar buzz (fuel-pump?) NOTHING. The red wire on the ignition switch oddly is common with ground.
    I tried to buzz out the ground source but all of the yellow conductors were common to ground also. I disconnected the positive leads at the battery and starter, unplugged the relays, voltage regulator, the neutral switch, brake switch, filter switch, temp and everything else I could find all at the same time and still the ground was present.
    I?m at a disadvantage without a wiring diagram. I don?t know if the safety switches are normally open or normally closed. I?m sure I missed some switch somewhere. I saw a posted message about this same problem but the thread didn?t lead to the solution.
    I could sure use some advice. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by KKnReily; 02-19-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks
    Hello,
    This ened up being an open in the 12 volt line from the starter terminal to the ign switch.
    It was open somewhere in the pan between the rear floor area to the front. it was only shorted to ground on one side of the fault. I had to run another conductor through the pan from the front to the rear.
    The LineX hood coating went well. As soon as i getit put back together i will post some pics.

Thanks
    I'd like to see the outcome of the hood. I have linex in my truck bed(hate it), but I have a Ducati Monster in mat black(flat black with a slight texture) and love it. Very cool effect.
    Last edited by xcxc; 02-22-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    IMG_0120.jpg
    I believe I have attached a photo of the hood sprayed with LineX. I think it turned out well.

Thanks
    The wiring issue continued to get worse. Other conductors began to fail in the same area. Every time I pulled a wire in to replace the latest failure another occurred. I finally realized why there were some new components since the gator had recently been serviced. It seems when mud was present the problems were worse. I finally pulled the harness out of the channel in the pan from the front to the back. This is a picture of the harness. I replaced all of the damaged conductors and placed them in a section of garden hose as a flexible conduit.
    https://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/f...4&d=1330830120
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    That hood does look better than what I was expecting...I have a friend who painted a whole motorcycle (just the tins...) with Line-X and I didn't like that at all...it wasn't nearly as smooth looking as yours is...you did a killer job on that!!!

That wiring harness is nothing short (no pun intended...hehehe) of a nightmare...good luck on that...I don't mind simple wiring fixes and all that, but fixing something like that would have me cussing way more than a normal man should...You have your work cut out for you...

Welcome to the Forum, and thanx for posting up the pics...I always enjoy seeing new stuff...

Larry in MD

Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum! Very clean job on the hood, I was really surprised as to how nice it looks. Great job! Maybe we can send you some work. Did you shoot the bed while you were at it?

Looking at the wiring bundle I guess you are lucky you didn't have a fire! I think once you repair it and cover with the hose (another great idea) you will be on easy street.

Larry from ME

Thanks
    That hood looks great, nice effect!

Thanks

LineEx on the Hood & '99 Electrical Issue 6X4 solved

Thanks for the complements. The killer LineEx spray job was done by Millennium Linings in Indianapolis. https://www.millenniumlinings.com/
    They do a lot of commercial spraying beyond truck beds and they are very good. I did not get the bed sprayed since it already had a liner.
    The wiring is completed and everything is good to go. I have a very good understanding of the electrical operation and know almost "by memory" where everything goes. While I would not recommend anyone go through what I did, I would recommend every owner take some to study the wiring functions and connections. It will help a bunch when something weird happens in the field. And, "as you know", something weird almost always happens in the field sooner or later.

Thanks
    Kevin

I am so happy that all is now in good order. Eletrical problems can be a real pain in the tail. Even more so when people like me don't know crap about eletrical. Now you have learnt so much you will be able to hlep others! lol

Larry from ME