Thread: Looking at an AMT600

Thanks

Looking at an AMT600

New member to the forum - my first post -

I need something to haul wood and do general "chores". Looking at a 1986 AMT600 that the owner says ran "fine" until 3 weeks ago, when it stopped firing. Says that it needs a new external fuel pump. What all can go wrong with one of these rigs - looks like a number of them are still in service after 20+ years - what should I be looking at to be sure that the gator hasn't been run into the ground.

Can you plow snow with the AMT? Do they make a cab for them?

How much can they haul, and how good are they on slopes? They look to be pretty wide. Anybody know why Deere went away from the single front wheel - was there a stability issue there? Where can I get specs on the unit?

Sorry for all of the questions, but thanks for any insights that anyone might have.

Thanks
    Let's start with the easy one. Carb's are available as well as replacements (GOOGLE it). The same reason JD went away with the single front wheel is the same reason all ATV builders did. Less stable, lack of control with cargo and braking at any speed with a slight incline. Would any sane person plow snow with a single wheel steering vehicle??? NO!!! You might consider the 6x4 or upgrading to an XUV for more control and reliability. Before I sold my 6x4 it was rock solid around the house with anything I could throw at it (Be it trailers, general hauling or light recreation) and that might be your best option. My 6x4 is what sold me on buying the newer XUV over any other utility vehicle on the market. IMHO

Hope this helps,

Chris

Thanks
    I've had an AMT622 and now a 6x4.

If the only thing wrong with the AMT is the fuel pump then you can get the engine started with a couple of feet of 1/4 inch fuel line and a container of gas. Just connect it to the carb instead of the line from the pump. Gravity feed is all the pressure you need. The fuel pump is a diaphragm pump run off the crankcase just forward of the carb.

I have no idea about snow, but I can vouch for one front wheel making the steering weak. In soft dirt the AMT needs a lot of room to turn and it is much worse with a heavy load. The 6x4 is much better at turning, with or without load.

I would check the brakes (caliper assemblies are $350 a wheel). Will the brakes hold the AMT still if you put it in gear and step on the gas? Don't believe it if the vehicle moves and somebody tells you it is just an adjustment.

I'd also check that the big variable pulley on the transmission works by running down a straight piece of road with the bed up to be sure it changes width and lets the belt get closer to the drive shaft (high gear).