Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ground clearance ?

Thanks

ground clearance ?

Has anyone measured the ground clearance on a 825 or 855. Do you need the 27" Bighorns option to get the full 11"/12.25" stated on the JB web site?

Has anyone measured their actual turning radius?

Thanks
    I have to say, not me, never even thought about it .

Dan

ps ...welcome to the forum. where in the world are ya from ?

Thanks
    Hi Dan, I live in CT, my land is very rocky with steep grades and thick woods. so ground clearance and turning radius are very important to me.

Thanks
    I'm not sure about the ground clearance thing, but I do know that the turning radius on there 825i's are pretty small....I ride down an old Fram lane a bunch in the field next to my house, and when I get to the main road, I can drive out of the farm lane into the road while hugging the right side on the lane, and turn it hard in the road and drive right back into the lane without cutting any corners off....that's pretty good to me...

Please excuse my overly scientific explaination...luckily, I decided against using hand drawn geometric diagrams to back up my theory concerning diagonals, curves, gravitational G Forces, and how lunar phases figures into the equations using pi as a consonant....

Yeah right........

Ohhh...I wrote pi....now I'm hungry....

Larry in MD

Thanks
    You will gain the coolness factor of those sweet 14" aluminum wheels with the big horns but they are only an inch taller than the standard 26" tire for the gators. Your best bet would be adjust the suspension all the way up, and go slow over obstacles.

My gator sitting on a concrete floor with the 26" tires measures 11" of ground clearance in the back with no weight.

Please excuse my overly scientific explaination...luckily, I decided against using hand drawn geometric diagrams to back up my theory concerning diagonals, curves, gravitational G Forces, and how lunar phases figures into the equations using pi as a consonant....

Thanks
    thanks for measuring. are the aluminum rims worth $799 for a 1/2 inch of ground clearance and some kool factor? maybe :)

Thanks
    Mine on the Big Horns measures 10.5 frt and 11 rear and that is with the poly cab installed on it.

Jim O.
    USMC Ret.

Thanks
    thanks Jom O, sounds like you would need to stiffen the shocks to get back some ride height? How do you like the poly cab? I am still trying to decide poly or Deluxe. I bet the deluxe would bring down the ride height even more?

Thanks
    I have the front shocks on the stiffest setting and the rear in the middle. I do not like the Poly cab at all but since it is paid for and on, it will do, I don't like the way the door opens and often comes unlatched when riding. Have adjusted them many times. You do stay dry setting still in a rain storm but I can see getting alittle wet if moving

Jim O.
    USMC Ret.
    Last edited by jandrold; 03-05-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Has anyone measured the ground clearance on a 825 or 855. Do you need the 27" Bighorns option to get the full 11"/12.25" stated on the JB web site?

Has anyone measured their actual turning radius?
    Thought I had posted before, but I guess I never hit "Post". Anyway...

I had been wondering about turning radius as that was one of my main concerns, and why I was considering the smaller machines. I ended up getting an 825i (last week ), and your post prompted me to check. I made several circles in muddy sod and then went out an measured. Diameter of the outside of the tire tracks was a disappointing 326" (163" radius vs John Deere's spec of 148"). Still burning in my mind was other direction, so I tried that this morning. Ground was dry, so no new tracks, but I averaged a good foot inside the original track. I might have had a little slippage on the soggy ground, but not a foot! I guess I need to check steering stops. BTW, I have the 26" Ankla tires.

I will try to look at ground clearance to give another data point on that.

- Steve from ever changing CO (warm the last 3 days, snow expected tomorrow - always fun!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast