Thread: New old Gator 6x4

Thanks

New old Gator 6x4

I have just aquired a new to me older 6x4 gator. It has had a few parts taken off but they are still there. THe unit looks complete and comes with an extra transmission and engine of unknown condition. Has a cab with doors. But no bed. The bed is a non issue, I can weld and it dosent worry me. What does concern me is the cost of replacement parts. I am used to doing all my own repair work and can pretty much rework anything i decide too. Componently they dont look too complicated but parts diagrams can be decieving.

Just wondering what to expect as far as a rework. If it is gonna cost a mint for repair parts "IE buying from a dealer" or can I get them from other sources.

Thanks for any contributions and for this board. There is alot of good info and I have been reading here prior to making the decision to buy this toy.

Thanks
    Welcome Rio Grande. I also recently got an older 6x4 (about a 97) and previously had an AMT622. Both ran when I got them, and the 6x4 has no major problems, but the AMT needed some major replacements.

It's easy to buy Kawasaki engine parts and have them work as expected. After that it is very hit and miss on whether you can find something good or will have to go to the dealer. As an example of something I thought would be easy, I bought some aftermarket yellow seats. They didn't fit and I had to make adapters so they would fit, and they started rotting out in the sun after one year.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I still haven't picked it up yet.

Thanks
    Finally got it home. Someone stold 3 wheels off of it. :( but it will crank over just no fire.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio_Grande View Post
    Finally got it home. Someone stold 3 wheels off of it. :( but it will crank over just no fire.
    Aww man that just burns me up reading someone snatched 3 wheels!

Lets see.....here are some on the bays for sale.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-DEERE-G...item231824a2b0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-2...item3a6a97e4ab

I would call local dealerships and see if they have any lying around. Will keep my eye open for ya when I get to NY again.

Do you have spark? If she is not a diesel I would pop a little either in the spark plug hole and see if she pops ok.

Thanks
    There is no spark, but there was no battery i it and I may not have had all the positive wires hooked up. The key also went missing,,, Dang thives, so I was not able o switch the ignition switch over but was cranking with a jumper on the starter.

So I need to get a key before I get too concerned about the no spark issue. by looking at the diagram it appears the ignition is switched at the key.

Thanks for the links. I am going to hit a deere dealer maybee tomorrow for the key and check on tires.

Thanks
    Picked up a key this week and intend to give it a try later today or sunday. I pulled the pluggs and one is short, one is long. One of them has not fired for some time, all black and cruddy. other one looks good. I will figure out which plug belongs in it and get fresh pluggs. We will see what happens. I will get a fresh battery for it.

I am contemplating putting a start up thread on here keeping track of how the reserection goes.

Thanks