Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chery Engine

Thanks

Chery Engine

I am in the market for a side x side & Gator 825i is on my list as well as the Ranger XP and Honda Big Red. Can anyone tell me about the history of the Chery engine used in the 825i? Also is the cab noise loud?

Thanks
    Welcome aboard Dale,

I have the 825i with about 500 miles and 90 engine hours. So far no issues with the engine. I can't really say about the noise because to me it is not noisy at all, but after years of riding a harley and spending lots of time at the weapons range my kids tell me i am getting a little hard at hearing, that i turn the TV up loud. So someone else will have to tell you about the engine noise, I don;t hear any. Again I am very happy with the engine so far, no issues.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted what you decide.

Dan

Thanks
    I have only a few miles on my 825i. It's open cab (with poly roof/windshield), so I'm not sure how valid my noise assessment will be. I got it before the weekend, but I had classes over the weekend and haven't gotten to play with it as much as I'd hoped. I haven't much to compare it to as far as side by sides go. It's quite a bit quieter than the 850D that I have used to haul stuff and spread at a friend's place. (Also have some time in a Kubota diesel - I recall that being louder than the 850D, but it's been a while. No experience at all with either the Ranger XP or Big Red.) Another friend commented that it was "so quiet" when she first got in. (I think her frame of reference is her brand new riding mower.) Not sure if she changed her mind when we took off. I wouldn't have noticed how loud it was as speed (only about 10-12mph) except for her comment at the start. It wasn't obnoxious, but I did notice that we were almost yelling to talk to one another. (I've only been up to a bit more than 15, so far, but I didn't notice it being noisy on that run. Most of the noise seems to be transmission, so the cab (or even rear enclosure) might help. FYI, MY reference points are my (open cab) tractor (usually wear hearing protection) and dirt bikes/3-wheeler (always have a well padded helmet squeezing my ears). I do plan on looking into sound mitigation at some point, but it's not a high priority.

As for the Chery engine, I don't really know much history other than it's an automotive engine and Chery itself has been in business for a while. Check other forums here, and search the web for more info, but I figure if John Deere is willing to back it, I am satisfied.

- Steve in hot/cold CO

Thanks
    Welcome to the Forum and best of wishes in your upcoming purchase. Like you I was torn between several machines when I purchased my 825i. My decision to purchase the 825i was based on several factors. John Deere reputation, the 3 cyl vehicle engine displayed great response and ample power for any job that I could offer. I also thought the 825i had more area for farm use, such as the bed as well as the load this machine can handle. Over the past three decades I have had three wheelers, four wheelers as well as one other Gator. Nothing that I have owned compares to this machine. I have owned my 825i one year this month and have NEVER had one regret as to my purchase. Where this is a new line for John Deere I do now have the extended warranty. There are many options for the 825i covering about every use you could imagine.

One other important note is related to this Forum! The many owners of these machine cover many different backgrounds which is very helpful when deciding what to do. If ever a problem you will not find a better place to obtain help.

Again, best of wishes and please keep us updated regardless of the road you take.

Larry from ME

Thanks
    Thanks Guys for the info. Does anyone know of these units being used for commercial use, that is the true test.

Thanks
    I think that "farm use" is harder on equipment than "comercial" just my opinion.

Sunbelt, United Rentals, etc., have been renting gators for years.
    I own a TX, HPX, 850D and the 825i. 825i is my favorite by far.

Thanks
    It could be easy to be concerned about the Chery engine. I am not - and here is why:
    - The engine is used in cars - from China to Argentina. If you have been in any of these countries - you'd gain level of comfort. It is like a non-stop go-kart race and cars get USED
    - Deere's quality system. All suppliers are screened and developed until hitting the Deere quality system.

Bottom line - a 175 year old company is not going to risk its reputation by sourcing a poor quality engine. Purchase with confidence and knowing the company will stand behind you - I did and they have!

Thanks
    Thomas...that's a great answer to a tough question...Thanx for posting it up!!!...I'm gonna use the part about it being used it cars from China to Argentina the next time the question is asked of me...

Your "bottom line" about a "175 year old company risking it's reputation", along with "them screening suppliers beforehand" are sort of what I have been using as my answer to the question of a Chery engine already...you just put everything together alot more eloquently than I have been able to do when asked...

Thanx for your input....

Larry in MD

Thanks
    My pleasure Larry....it's a big investment and your concerns are logical. Good luck!

Thanks
    I am totally tickled pink with my 825i!!!....I am a big promoter of these JD Gators to everyone that I think would be interested in one and I get that question alot about the gas engine in them...seems like no-one has a problem with a Japanese Kawasaki engine in a lawn mower, but when you tell them that the engine in the Gator is a Chinese Chery engine, they look at you like you've got an extra eye in the middle of your forehead sometimes...giving those folks a reason not to worry about these engines has always been a bit of a struggle for me....the way you've explained it will make it easier to let them know that they shouldn't have anything to worry about with the Chery engine...to be honest, I never heard of a Chery engine before I started researching these new Gators back before I bought mine...never knew they even existed...

again...thanx for making it easier to explain about the Chery engine...I'm gonna use your words pretty much verbatim...

Larry in MD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast