Thread: Front end out - need help

Thanks

Front end out - need help

The front end on my 620i is toast. I've gone too long with torn cv boots and now the cv joints are clacking like crazy. How much of a job is this to replace? I can't seem to find a service manual for the 620i. I bought this unit at an auction several years ago as is and no manual came with it. I have three torn boots. Only one that is not torn is the drivers side that connects to the diff. I tried getting on JD parts to see what was needed and was a little confused. The whole half shaft was like $400+ dollars but the the cv's were $119. I'm guessing I just need that and the boots, but what about the end that connects to the diff? I haven't had it apart yet so I don't really know what all I'm going to need. I REALLY don't want to take this to JD as I can't imagine what this would cost. I've worked on ATV's before and I'm not real mechanically inclined, I can usually figure stuff out as long as I have some type of manual or direction. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
    I had the front passenger side cv joint break awhile back on my 825i and got the dealer to send me the part under warranty so I could replace it. According to the tech manual for the 825i its a pretty simple job to replace the half shaft. steps were something along the lines of remove the axle nut and lower shock bolt, separate the lower ball joint from the lower a-arm and pivot the caliper/rotor upwards until the axle is free of the caliper and then take a pry bar and pop the axle out of the diff. Assembly is in the reverse order. I ordered a ball joint separator and when it shows up I was thinking about doing a tech write up on it and posting it on here.

Thanks
    Ratrod: A good deatiled writeup with pictures would be a super great thing!! SWDoodle, welcome to the Forum and praying for the best for you and the machine. Torn boots can cause major costly repairs. No doubt when you purchased the machine they were gone. After your repairs you may want to consider putting on the CV guards.

Larry in ME

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
    Ratrod: A good deatiled writeup with pictures would be a super great thing!! SWDoodle, welcome to the Forum and praying for the best for you and the machine. Torn boots can cause major costly repairs. No doubt when you purchased the machine they were gone. After your repairs you may want to consider putting on the CV guards.

Larry in ME
    Thank you. Yeah I drive this thing all the time thru corn stalks checking cows and sage pastures in the summer. The front boots are trash, rear boots don't have any tears that I can see. I think what I'll do is pop off both half shafts and then take them into the local JD dealer and see what parts I need to order for sure. I got on JD Parts and one half shaft service kit said $188 and one said $491! That's a big difference. No way I'm spending $1000 on cv's. I'll find some used ones somewhere. Sometimes that website can be confusing when parts go in and out of stock. Even @ almost $200 a piece this won't be cheap. Definately have to look into some guards for sure. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post

Larry in ME
    I'm having the CV guards installed as we speak ....no use taking chances !

Dan

Thanks
    I got the half shaft installed tonight and will do a write up tomorrow. Come spring I'll probably buy the cv guards.

Thanks
    I don't abuse my 825i but I do go into the woods quite often so there is a strong chance your going to hit something. For that I broke down and purchased both front and read gurds. I installed them myself which was a very eacy job. It did take me a few minutes to figure out which one went where. I received all four in one box. Looking at the cost to replace CVC joints and half shafts it's a fairly cheap insurance policy for such a costly machine.

Larry in ME

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ratrod View Post
    I had the front passenger side cv joint break awhile back on my 825i and got the dealer to send me the part under warranty so I could replace it. According to the tech manual for the 825i its a pretty simple job to replace the half shaft. steps were something along the lines of remove the axle nut and lower shock bolt, separate the lower ball joint from the lower a-arm and pivot the caliper/rotor upwards until the axle is free of the caliper and then take a pry bar and pop the axle out of the diff. Assembly is in the reverse order. I ordered a ball joint separator and when it shows up I was thinking about doing a tech write up on it and posting it on here.

Ok so I attempted getting the cv out last night and ran into some issues. I got the castle nut off, but cannot figure out how to the lower a-arm off. I took the nut off the ball joint off, but there is another rod that connected to it that I took apart and still nothing. Is a ball joint sepeartor needed? I'm thinking maybe I'll just take it to the dealer at this point. I don't have a manual and can't find a write-up anywhere on the net with pics. Really frustrating! Any pics would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ok so I attempted getting the cv out last night and ran into some issues. I got the castle nut off, but cannot figure out how to the lower a-arm off. I took the nut off the ball joint off, but there is another rod that connected to it that I took apart and still nothing. Is a ball joint sepeartor needed? I'm thinking maybe I'll just take it to the dealer at this point. I don't have a manual and can't find a write-up anywhere on the net with pics. Really frustrating! Any pics would be much appreciated.

Yes you will need a ball joint separator, but don't get the fork separator unless you need to replace your ball joints as well. Heres the one I bought and it worked like a charm, bought it off amazon. (OTC 6297 Ball Joint Separator). You will also want to remove the lower shock bolt so you can get the axle in a straight line. I found it worked best to pop both the top and bottom ball joints to get the whole hub assembly out of the way so you can slide out of the old half shaft and slide in the new one without having to work around the hub. Installation is in the reverse order.

Leave the steering hooked up just tie everything up with wire so its out of the way while you work on the half shaft.

camera 021.JPG
    camera 015.JPG
    camera 020.jpg
    Last edited by ratrod; 03-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.