Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Costly error!

Thanks

Costly error! FINALLY FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday went riding around the pastures fixing fences, on my 825i with 323 miles on it. I needed to cross a creek that i went across several times last week (before 2" rain). Was in water bout 5 seconds, but a little too deep. Came over the floorboard and sucked some up air intake. Locked motor up, brought back home pulled plugs, removed head and valves (bent 2 a little bit), worst was #3 piston rod. Gonna order parts tomorrow. When i get it back together I will be moving the air intake up higher.

Ordered parts today- Aint cheap! Left invoice in another truck, but will let you all know bout what to expect. The guy at John Deere said a guy came in last week and ordered all pistons, rods and complete rebuild for 855 Dsl. He did same thing i did. (bent all 3 of his rods). Well, glad that is over. I got it all back together. I had some health issues come up during rebuild, so it sit covered up for 3 weeks. I replaced all rods, pistons,rings,bearings, all valves. (one camshaft was replaced, I broke it ) It all cost me bout $750.00 in parts, plus couple hundred for special tools. It sounds and runs like new.
    Last edited by gasboy; 03-14-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Ouch! Just rods and valves or is there damage to more of the valvetrain?

Thanks
    Dang that doesn't look fun, good luck with the rebuild!

Thanks

Thanks
    Yikes....that sucks royally....it's good you know how to do the fix yourself...that would be super costly if you didn't!!!

Good luck on it...

Larry in MD
    Last edited by Regulator; 02-13-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks
    I have looked at everything pretty close and it doesnt seem to be any more damage than 1 rod and couple valves slightly bent. I am gonna replace all valves, all pistons, rings , rods and bearings. Should be like new (again).

Thanks
    Please post pics of how you move the intake higher, I'm always looking for new ideas/something to tinker with.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    I don't think I would say "ouch", I might just have used other words*%A^(*#! I am so sorry for you. Please keep us updated as you do the rebuild. We would love to see pictures as you go. Let's pray the finished product is better then new! Also, we need a picture of the relocated airbox!

Larry from ME

Thanks
    I keep looking at that rod and it looks like it was actually forged that way...good thing it didn't cut loose and make scrap metal out of your cylinder, or the block itself!!!

I'm like Deputy...I'd probably still be cussin'...from the time I saw the positioning of the airbox when I bought my Gator, I was thinking to myself that they could have done a better job of placement than sitting so low like that...but, I figured that I probably wouldn't get myself in a situation where it would be a problem....now after seeing Gasboy's deal and how he wasn't really doing anything "extreme", it's got me thinking of relocation myself...I'm gonna do some looking at mine to see if I can figure something out...I know Deere has an option to relocate the airbox for the "noise" factor, but I don't have a clue if their relocation puts the inlet up higher or not....

Anyone have any idea's on how and where to raise it up...I really didn't want a snorkel sticking up past the roof top!!!...I'm really interested in seeing what Gasboy does here...he seems to have a good handle on Gator mechanics...it might end up being something that Deere should consider doing at the factory!!!...

Like Larry in ME said...post up pics of your rebuild if you have the time please...I love seeing tech posts like that...it's something that could possibly help someone else one day....and, thanx for posting up what you already have done...it's cool seeing what could happen like in your case...a pic of that rod is worth 10,000 words trying to describe it!!!

Larry in MD
    Last edited by Regulator; 02-13-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    wow, i guess i'll avoid the water until someone comes up with a good way to raise that air intake. good luck with ur rebuild.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast