Thread: 825i stuck in gear

Thanks

825i stuck in gear

Yesterday the machine stuck in reverse and I couldn't get it to go to neutral. I turned it off because I had backed up to a gully to dump the bed and wasn't interested in continuing in reverse. I was able to put the gear shift forward in the neutral position but it wouldn't turn back on so I put it in high and it turned on. It turns out after this event neutral became reverse and high became neutral and low became high. Obviously this isnt right so I tried to take the linkage off and adjust it above the transmission. Long story short it is stuck in gear now and it will not move. Can anyone point me in the right direction? (other than the dealership)

Thanks
    Hey there...welcome to the Forum....sorry it has to be because of a problem with your Gator, but you couldn't have come to a better place...I'm definitely not the man to offer a good fix, but I can throw out a few suggestions...try rocking the Gator back and forth while trying to shift the gear selector...it sounds like it's binding and need the pressure off the drive to slip out of gear...also, it sounds like your initial problem had to do with the linkage itself slipping....I think there is an adjustment under the center console for the shifter along with the one at the tranny...look for the adjustment points after you get it in neutral and then adjust the linkage from there....that ought to get you close...

I am hoping nothing broke inside the CVT line...I kinda doubt it, but you never know...I do think if you rock it back and forth, to get the pressure off the belt and clutches, you should be able to slip it out of gear...

There's a couple other guys on here that are Gator mechanics that will be able to help you better than me...someone will chime in soon and give you a hand...Good luck to you!!!

Larry in MD

Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I will try rocking it to relieve the pressure.
    Is there a chance something was disconnected when I disconnected the cable from the piece that goes through the transmission? It seemed pretty loose I'm there...
    Sorry I don't know what these pieces are called.

Thanks
    I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the linkages (trying to remember pictures ), but it sounds like something either bent or "slipped a cog" and is way out of whack. In this case, I doubt that it is anything binding, so rocking is unlikely to help. (Here's hoping I'm wrong! ) I can't think of any way that you would have done anything (initially) to cause it unless you played gorilla with the shift lever. I don't think anything should be "pretty loose", but everything is relative, so you may have lost something else when you tried to adjust things, but I suspect not.

I mull this over and post again if I come up with anything.

In the mean time, good luck!!!

- Steve in sunny CO

Thanks
    Airicc welcome to the Forum, I am sure you will find this place has a great number of individuals who are interested in helping as well as learning. Again, "Welcome".

Last year when I purchased my 825i there was a small problem with shifting. Machine seemed to lock-up and became very difficult to remove from the gear it was in. Took the dealership about 1/2 hour and they had everything adjusted. Machine has never given me a like problem since.

If it's locked it's locked, don't be using extra force as you will no doubt bend one of the linkage components. Can you get this machine to the dealership?

Larry in ME

Thanks
    I called the dealer this morning and they are going to repair it assuming the problem is under warranty. The warranty is good until next month so good timing. They thought it might be the clutch sticking, I don't think so but I'm not in a position to pretend I know what I'm talking about. I'll post my findings when I hear back. Looking forward to being a member of the forum.

Thanks
    I have seen a couple cables that kinked after force was put on them to either get into gear or out of.Once they get kinked the cable will have to be replaced. Warranty will cover the cable.

Thanks
    Hate to Revive an old post, but curious if Airicc found out anything on this. I had the same issue (https://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/f...ch-from-my-825)

Thanks
    With less then 10 hours....mine did the same thing...ended up being a burned out clutch and I was not doing anything hard on my machine!!