Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electrical problem?

Thanks

electrical problem?

Hello everybody,
    I have just registered after searching the internet for a possible solution to my problem.
    I am a tech at a john deere dealer in south ga. We have "2" xuv 825i gators sitting next to each other with very similar problems. The one I am working on has 149 hrs and is a 2011. The problem is at around 10-15 mph in 2 wheel drive going forward the front end starts grinding and growling and the steering gets very stiff. Almost as if the front axle is trying to engage even in 2wd.
    If you come to a complete stop and back up the noise goes away and the steering loosens up.

We have checked all the obvious things and even opened up a dtac case. Any ideas?

Also since I have found this forum and do work on quite a few gators, I will visit regularly and try to share what knowledge I have and try to help when I can. Thanks,
    Bulldogfan.

Thanks
    First off let me welcome you to the John Deere Gator Forum, a place where the boys loves thier toys!

Regarding the current like issue, like you I am thinking eletrical as if a component is attemting to have the 4 wheel drive engage? Though I am gussing as I have not seen this problem.

Would you be so kind as to keep us all updated on this issues. If it happened there it will or can happen here!

Larry in ME

Thanks
    Bulldog Fan....thanks for joining up...I am sure your help with problems will be greatly appreciated, plus you can see some of the fixes that we have already been through...that's what makes this a great place...the give and take that this Forum affords to anyone with a Gator...

The problem you have on hand sounds like A tough one for sure...never heard of that one...it isn't that dreaded front driveshaft/bearing that needs to be replaced causing it, is it???....that's the most common problem that just about everyone on here who owns a 825i has run into already....other than that, I don't have a clue....I'm no Gator mechanic, but I've wrenched on big trucks and trailers my whole life...nothing I've learned doing that gives me any idea on what your fix might be...it's like something is winding up tight as you go along, and then you need to back up to release the pressure....the stiff steering symptom is a weird addition to the problem...I guess I'd eliminate the driveshaft problem first if it hasn't been done and then go from there....sorry I don't have a better answer for you....like Larry in ME said though...please keep us updated on the fix...sure enough, someone on here will end up with the same thing wrong with their's, so it will be good to have the fix in our memory banks!!!

take care...

Larry in MD

Thanks
    check post below
    Last edited by jandrold; 04-29-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    It sure sounds like the dif lock is for what ever reason trying to lock up and that is when the steering gets stiff and the grinding starts its not engaging fully. For sure disconnect the Electrical connection and try, then the if no help take out the drive shaft and go for a test drive, last thing is to pull the third member out and take it apart for inspection, It has to be one of the three.

Jim O.
    USMC Ret.

Thanks
    Thanks for the input so far. I will keep y'all updated. I did read almost every post on the forum so far. What drives me nuts is when you see someone post and say " i will let you guys know what the fix was", only to never hear the outcome. And it is so true. what happens to one usually will happen to many, especially a design flaw. I will post more after work tomorrow.

Thanks
    Bulldogfan, My gator had the exact same issue,Problem was in the front differential, it had a broken ring gear tooth that wedges causing it to lockup, Drain the differential and i bet you find metal flakes in the oil. If it is still under warranty deere will cover the whole differential replacement.

Thanks
    well, gatordone i drained the diff friday and the oil was fairly clean. I waved my magnet around in the oil and picked up no metal shavings. The only metallic particles i saw in the oil were what I assume is just limited slip clutch material? I was able to isolate the noise by removing the slip couplers at both ends of the transmission to emfwd driveshaft. So as of right now johnny d's is shipping the updated rubber isolator bearing and i will see if that fixes it.
    If it does, i will gladly post the results as some of the posts on this forum are inconclusive. We shall see.

Thanks
    Mine has done the same thing just thought it was trying to get in 4wdrive or come out of 4wdrive. After u back up then go forward it's normal again. Please post ur findings.
    bulldog fan where u located?

Thanks
    jdman, I live in Thomasville, Ga. "the deep south" ha ha. Today I installed the updated rubberized bearing on the trans to front axle driveshaft. It seems to have stopped the horrible grinding sound and stiff steering. I do still feel a bit of vibration down on the floor by my feet though. I even reluctantly do say that I think I still got a bit of the symptom after the rubber bearing install. Not to sound negative, but in my opinion the rubber isolator bearing seems like a bit of a "band aid". we will see. I delivered it back to the owner this afternoon and hopefully he and I will not see this issue again. Still have another 825i in the shop, another guy is on it, but he says that it seems like the front wheels are engaging while in 2wd. service manager told him to order the solenoid that mounts on top of the front diff. I will go into details after it is fixed because all I see right now is is parts changing going on. That and black tire marks on the shop floor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast