Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of Gator do I have?

Thanks

What type of Gator do I have?

Greetings,

I have a Gator and I am not sure what model it is. It has been rode HARD and has had many miles put on it.

Unfortunately someone came on the farm a few months back while I was away getting radiation for a brain tumor and ripped up the wiring. They stole a bunch of copper, batteries, radiators, etc.. I guess they started to steal the wires but decided it was not worth the effort. I am still trying to get everything running and really need to get this running so I can get around the farm.

I need to get a complete wiring diagram so I need to figure out what model it is. I cannot find the plate with the Gator's serial number. It appears to have been knocked off or it might have been damaged while preparing the many accidents.

It says Gator 4X2 on the dump bed.
    It has a Kawasaki OHV engine.
    The engine has a tag that says
    Family I.D. SKA287U1G2RA
    DISPLACEMENT 287CC(0.287L)
    Date of Manufacture 0397

I have had two brain tumors in the last few years. Between surgery and radiation I am no longer the sharpest tool in the shed, so pardon me if I seem dense or ask something dumb.

If anyone can help me with identifying this I would really appreciate it.

Gregg WettermanIMG_5549gatorengWeb.jpgIMG_5548GatorWeb.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]49[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_5552GatorStickerWeb.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]1[/ATTACH[ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_5552GatorStickerWeb.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Thanks
    I would say thats a Gator TS. Had one myself.
    2005 HPX Gator
    2005 JD 797 Z-Turn & 2009 JD 997 Z-Turn
    2007 JD 2305 & 2008 JD 2520 w/ lots of toys!!
    1998 Toro 455D

Thanks
    I don't think that in 1997 there were too many Gator models. ebay has a 97 gator brochure for sale. Brochure are usually free so I would hate to spend the money but it may the the only way to identify your model. Can't a JD dealer help you?

ebay link:

https://cgi.ebay.com/1997-John-Deere-...6#ht_500wt_989

Thanks
    A green one!!!!

Thanks
    or what some now refer to as the 4x2 'classic' looks like my 4x2.. that was used in the macys day parade.

Thanks
    sorry about your copper thieves... personally I hope that karma smacks them pretty good....

sorry bout your health issues... hope all turns out well.

which wiring harness did they take? if you can find a light kit.. it will replace a chunk of it.. but I don't think it will do much on the engine side...might want to check ebay... I have had pretty good luck there... .. one thing if you can find it is get a parts manual and a service manual ... it helps alot.

Thanks
    I believe what you have is the the predecessor to the TS Gator which is simply referred to as a "4x2 Gator" at a John Deere dealership. A couple of things hint at this model:

- TS gators production began in 2004, your engine manufacture date is 1997. 4x2 gators were manufacutered from 1993-2005.

- The displacement of the TS Gators are slightly larger at 351 cc. Your pic of the engine decal states a 287 cc engine.

- TS gators have a cupholder molded into the front fenders....I don't think I see cup holders on your machine's fenders.

If memory serves me right, this machine's serial number should be located on the lower, left corner of the frame on the rear of the machine but has more than likely fallen off over time.

Unfortunately, these machines have 3 serial number "breaks" and to order certain parts you'll need to know that information. Is there any way to track down the original owner of this machine? Ask them which dealership the machine was originally purchased from. Then a quick call to that dealership, with the name of the original purchaser, they should be able to track down the serial number.

The good news is that a wiring digram will be found in a technical manual and the technical manual #TM1518 ($135.00 - paperback) covers all serial numbers of these machines and can be ordered on CD-ROM #TM1518CD ($65.00) from your local JD dealer.
    2011 825i Camo

Thanks
    Hey Folks,

I'm trying to confirm the cargo bed capacity of what I believe to be a 1997 model 4X2 Gator with a Product ID Number of *W004X2X026924*

While the newer version of this model, the TS, has a 500 Lb. bed capaxity, it also a 351cc engine. This one has a 287cc Kawasaki. So, I don't want to guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    I couldn't find anything but I would go with the 500# also here is the page with your numbers just click on your serial # and you can go to all the parts and part numbers
    https://www.green-parts-direct.com/fr...#/s/JDC/4x2//1
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    i think it is a 1997 model 4x2 john deere gator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast