Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XUV 550 owners, are you satisfied?

Thanks

XUV 550 owners, are you satisfied?

I'm considering to buy a Gator 550 but I need some details. I want to know if you like your Gator and what it is used for. I'm in Quebec. I want to change my ATV Arctic Cat 500 for a side by side. I consider also the Polaris Ranger 500 or the Arctic Cat Prowler HD. I really like the Prowler, its suspension is very smooth and it's pleasant to drive. But the Prowler is a little bit too wide in the trails. I want to use it for plowing with a cab and for the trails with my wife and our dogs.

I have tried the Gator 825, but it is too heavy for the trails here. I like a sxs medium size.

Thank you for your comments.

Thanks
    Hi Fredartic.... This is my first post... So here goes... We bought a new Gator 550, May 17th... We love it... We have about 8 acres, fields, woods, hills, creek.... We use it for transportation to other family houses/buildings, towing a 4x8 trailer, joy riding trails through the woods. We had a golf cart before, this does so much more. We checked out everything out there. Like you, we test drove a bunch of them. For the size, it came down to the Polaris vs John Deere. Everything else we have is John Deere; tractors, mowers, tillers, buckets... So I was leaning green. Size is perfect for us, the 825, a nice machine, too big. Also, I like the ergonomics of the 550 better than the 825. The Vanguard engine is great. Research on Briggs-Stratton commercial engine site, shows the 570cc engine is actually made in Japan by Daihatsu and rated 18hp. John Deere is rating it 16hp. Very peppy, no heat problems, air-cooled. I never used the choke yet, manual says only on extremely cold days. Starts instantly... Suspension, frame, brakes first rate. This is a great little machine. It's so new, there isn't any reviews on it. But here's mine... Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Hello Fredartic. Let me start by saying that I truly enjoy my 550. I too made the purchase for use around the homestead ,and for riding the trails, as I live on a mountain top in Vermont. If you follow the "Ridge Runner" threads, you can see the many optional equipment changes I'll be making to my ride. This little Gator is the perfect fit for rough trail riding. It's size matched with it's tough construction and great protection on the underside made this my choice. This is no dragster at 16HP/28MPH, however It has all the starch you need on a tough mountain trail, and plenty of grab with the optional Bighorn tires. Property maintenance is a breeze. Haven't plowed yet but I see no problem in that. Since I enjoy night riding I'm using 5 Hella Rally 4000X halogens, with the optional heavy duty alternator. I also recommend a winch, and a spare on board for the trails. To sum it up, Tough, well priced, and well suited for trail, transportation, and property maintenance. Good Luck, mountaingoat.
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 07-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    I am glad this thread was started as this is the kind of info I have been looking for as well. Please keep the comments coming.

Sandy C

Thanks
    I have seen the specs on the website of John Deere that the weight autorized for the passengers is 200 pounds for each one... I'm disapointed; me and my wife are heavier than that, so do you think that is a problem?

Thanks
    Got mine in June, got it dressed up a bit, back screen, winch, tow hooks, windshield, fire extinguisher, yellow flashing light and gonna do a few more things. I had a mule I traded and reallly like the 550 much better, it is so much quicker from the start, the mule was like a golf cart getting going and this gator is quick. Got a small problem, ( I hope) with some front end noise that I am having checked out tomorrow at the dealership. Not sure but maybe no oil in front end it sounds like to me. From the factory that way whatever it is. Anyway I use it around the small town I live in and ride in the country and it is great, not too big and not too small. Gets around real well. I also use it to plow some driveways around town in the winter if it snows.....have yet to see how it does at that but think it will be fine. I will also use it at work at my security jobs to patrol the site. Hope it lasts a long time. I think Fredartic that a 550 would be a good fit for you. Keep us posted.

Thanks
    Congragulations for your UTV! Thank you for your comments jdh2971. I went to the dealer last friday but it was too late; we did'nt try it... but we will go back for a test drive soon. I asked the dealer if the 550 is more prime then the 825 cause the 825 that we tried is not prime. The 825 is like a tank but this is not what I'm looking for. He told that is uncomparable and from what I see here, it's true. I asked if with the new 850 sxv, if they will upgrade the 550 too. He told me that it will, but I'm not sure if I would prefer a 550 with the injection or the 550 like it is, cause it seems perfect. Hope jdh, you will have a lot of fun with yours!

Thanks
    I don't see the 200 pound mark being a issue. My friend test rode a 550 s4 for a couple of days and myself, him, and his kid are well over 200 and we all rode at the same time with no issues.
    2012 black and olive 825i
    Under coated floor, 5k winch, HD brushguard, deluxe signal kit and roof

Thanks
    FloridaGator, maybe the specs are there just to protect the company from any pursuit and in fact, the utv is able to take more and more...

FloridaGator, we plan to go in Florida on next november; we rent a house for a month. Is there any place where we can rent a utv around? We are going in Venice. Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredartic View Post
    I'm considering to buy a Gator 550 but I need some details. I want to know if you like your Gator and what it is used for. I'm in Quebec. I want to change my ATV Arctic Cat 500 for a side by side. I consider also the Polaris Ranger 500 or the Arctic Cat Prowler HD. I really like the Prowler, its suspension is very smooth and it's pleasant to drive. But the Prowler is a little bit too wide in the trails. I want to use it for plowing with a cab and for the trails with my wife and our dogs.

I have tried the Gator 825, but it is too heavy for the trails here. I like a sxs medium size.

Thank you for your comments.
    My 550 S4 won't shift out of reverse unless I turn off the engine. With the engine off it shifts just fine. Also when shifting from 4WD to 2WD it hesitates but after few yards it comes out with a load clunk. I have about 20 hours on it. It's going in Thursday (7/11/2013) the dealer beleaves it's the secondary clutch ( I have no idea what that is) and he ordered the parts. While it's in the shop I'm having a lighting kit put on (Turn signal, break lights, etc). I've already added a vented windshield, and 2000lb winch my daughter and son-in-law gave me. I really enjoy this Gator and I hope this is not the start of several problems to come. I love tearing down the beach in deep sand where 4WD trucks are getting stuck. It has gone through everything I've ask it to with no problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast