Thread: AMT 626 Jumping Out of Gear and Won't Stop!

Thanks

AMT 626 Jumping Out of Gear and Won't Stop!

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to the JD world having just picked up a nice AMT 626 off Craigslist. It has a few minor issues but I think they just need a little TLC. The major one is the brakes are non-existant. It seems that everything is there and functioning, except that the calipers and brake cable just need to be adjusted up closer to the rotor. There are pads left on the brakes, but the caliper doesn't travel far enough to engage the brake pads against the rotor. I have taked the cover off just above the brake pedal and I see two plastic gears on the cable which appear to be adjusters, but I wanted to ask before I break something, since they are $330.00 new. If these plastic gears are the adjusters, which way do I need to move them.

Also, it seems to jump out of forward gear quite often, and I thought this was an adjustment on the linkage, but that doesn't seem to help. Is there a detent of some sort inside the transmission that I need to tear into and fix, or is this a sign of a bigger transmission issue. We have been driving it by holding it in gear, but I don't want to damage it any more than it already is. Other than that we are having a blast on it, and it will come in handy on the farm.

Thanks, Brad
    Last edited by bradbergman; 06-29-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    the white gears are the adjusters. they should adjust like any bicycle brake or motorcycle clutch, turn it counter clockwise(looking from the cable to the plastic cable tube). my system is so far gone(broken cable) that i am going to build a hydraulic setup for it.
    AMT 622 w/modified dump bed

Thanks
    as far as it jumping out of gear i am not sure. does it have hear oil in the case? the only reason i could think of it coming out of gear is if it is binding. is it kicking out or slipping?
    AMT 622 w/modified dump bed

Thanks
    As I just had the trans open, it is hard to imagine any internal failure that would lead to jumping out of gear, especially if/when it does not do so with reverse. It is hard to believe that shift collar would have worn so much that it does not engage fwd gear.

Check the gear linkage and run the machine with linkage removed from trans lever, turn the lever by hand to fwd, release (should stay on nicely) and drive..if OK, adjust (bend) or modify the linkage.
    AMT 600 -89 w. GX390 13hp (copy)motor

Thanks
    I'm installing hydraulic brakes on my AMT626 right now. I have everything in place, but having trouble gettting them bled. I used front brake calipers and master cylinder from a Yamaha Banshee for the donors on my AMT.

Thanks
    I have a 626 also, mine has jumped like that before. I just adjusted the linkage, also had to make sure the pin was in the transmission shaft, they sometimes pull out!