Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XUV comparisons

Thanks

XUV comparisons

Hey all, I'm new here and want to get a new Gator! I really didn't want to spend $12,000, but I also don't want to spend $9000 and get less than I need. From what I've seen the majority of posters here have the 825i. I was looking at the 550, I want to pull a drag across my small pasture and carry a herbicide tank in the back. I will also do some hunting out of it, mostly flat ground with some mud at times.

I guess my question is if I buy the 550 will I regret not spending the extra to get the higher end XUV? Also can you get a poly bed on the 625i?

Thanks for the help
    TW

Thanks
    In my farming experience saving $$ to get something smaller or less powerful comes back to get you. In other words, you always regret it. If you buy the biggest and baddest thing out there, the 825i, you will never have to say, "Damn, I bet the 825 would have done that." I have yet to find something, withing reason, that the 825 won't do. It's the baddest machine I have ever had the pleasure of using! Log skidder, snow plow, round bale hauler, hunting, trail blazin', it flat out shines! You won't regret that extra $$.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    Thanks duling, I agree with what you are saying. I would rather not buy anything at all than to buy something that won't do the job. I think I'm going to get a new 825, but I may give it among or so to see if they get any used ones inn. I'm not big on buying used equipment so I will most likely go the new route I just have to psyche myself up for it. Reading the stories on here makes that pretty easy.

Ps what part of WY are you from? Anywhere near Sundance?

TW

Thanks
    I bougt my 825i four months ago and got the plow with it. It is the best thing I ever did, The more I use it the more I love it. It does all I ask it to do around the farm and even more on the trailes. Gator Joe

Thanks
    Bowhunter: Like you I was also a bit sticker shocked when I first looked at the 825i. I can't count the number of times I visited the dealership, looking, driving and so on. Then I thought back about my last John Deere lawn mower. To save money I purchased a new mower, not what I really wanted but a new one. I used it for a couple of years but it was just not big enough for all our property. How many times I kicked my self for not getting what I really needed and wanted. I chose the 825i and like others I have not found a job that it would not handle. Since the purchase (1 year ago) I have found myself doing much more with it then I had even planned. Don't cut yourself shot my friend. We live once, "go for it".

Please keep up updated.

Larry in ME soon Larry in NC

Thanks
    I have to echo the above. While waiting for the 825i to become available, I mulled over the lower cost of the 550. The 825i was quite a bit over my intended budget, but the 550 just didn't seem to fill the bill. Now that I've have the 825i for 4 months, I'm really glad I didn't try to save money on the purchase! The extra power and strength is welcome whether hauling things around the farm or buzzing off to the neighbor's down the road.

For capability, I think the 550 would handle the drag but not as easily as the 825i. A lot depends on the size of the drag, though. I drag my pastures and arena with a 6'x5' Delta harrow (I think that's what it's called - a bit heavier than a standard chain and a bit more "bite") and it's like it's not there to my 825i. Conversely, a friend with an 850D tried his 6'x10' chain harrow on his arena and decided it bogged down too much, so he still uses his tractor. I'm skeptical, but I haven't tried his combo so I can't say for sure.

As for the spray tank, I am a bit disappointed at how much sag I get on the 825i when loaded heavily in the back (even with the preload cranked up), but it handles fine. I don't know about the 550's suspension, but I would guess it would not handle the larger tanks well - so it again depends on size. How big is your tank?

Not that I think the 550 is a bad machine, but if you're on the fence - and can figure a way to afford it comfortably - I think you should take the hit up front.

Good luck with your decision and purchase!

- Steve in moist (yay, finally) CO

Thanks
    I drove a 550 for a few days on loan before buying my 825i and yes it's a great mid level machine and will fill a nice void for most people. Also it will probably do the work you are asking of it but for how long? This is strictly my opinion but if you plan on working the machine a lot then got with the heavier duty designed of the 825i. Before my 825i I had a 620i and it handled most tasks with ease in high. But there was a few times it needed low. I'm not sure if the 625i has the new bed though.

FloridaGator
    2012 black and olive 825i
    Under coated floor, 5k winch, HD brushguard, deluxe signal kit and roof

Thanks
    Thanks for all the help guys. My dealer has an 825 at their other store. I told him to get it down here so I could drive it, but I've pretty much made up my mind that's the one I want. I just dong want to spend $8500 and not get what I want. Better to spend more up front and not worry.

Go Gators

Thanks
    There's a saying reloaders like to use. "Buy once, cry once".

Thanks
    625i, 825i, and 855D have the same Cargo Box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast