Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 hpx 4x4 gas won't fire.

Thanks

2005 hpx 4x4 gas won't fire.

I recently bought a 2005 gator from my neighbor. He was the first owner. It has 500 hours. It will sometimes fire. and sometimes it won't. when it does fire it kicks back on the starter to the point it stops turning. let off the key and hit it again it turns over fine. I'm not really sure where to proceed from here. It has over 200 lbs of compression. Is that right? That's what the rear cylinder measured. any Idea's? now I have a multimeter but understanding the reading is another matter. I have it for voltage and to check for shorts. It is a digital read out meter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Was the Gator running when you bought it? Is it possible there is water in the fuel? Pull the filter and dump it in a glass jar and let it settle for a minute and see if there is water in the bottom. If by chance you do have water you will need to pull drain and clean the carb and fuel tank and before putting the line back on the carb run the pump for a second into your glass jar to make sure the fuel is clean. Also replace the fuel filter. From the info you gave I am guessing.
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    actually the fuel tank was dry when I got it. I put fresh fuel in it. My problem is no spark, sometimes it will spark and when it does the timing is so far out that it kicks back on the starter

Thanks
    it did not run when I got it

Thanks
    My take is that it is the electronic control module. Mine did the same over the winter. Took me forever to figure it out. It is the black electronoc box down on the side of the engine not what looks like it should the the electronic control module up on the frame. Good news is it is easy to change and should fire right up after you install the new one. They are about $300 from your JD dealer.

Thanks
    Oh, and by the way, your dealer will tell you it cannot be that. He'll say that those never go bad but trust me, they do. Since I've fixed mine everyone I've run across with an older HPX gas tells me they had the same thing happen. Most took them to the dealer to be fixed after about a month of frustration.

Thanks
    That control module would be part number JDAM132577 and the JD price is $305.45
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    that is what I was leaning towards. but it WAS firing the first time I pulled the plugs out. then it wouldn't then it would. I'm going to check for shorts today if that doesn't fix it I will Order a CDI box.

Thanks
    After checking that all wire have power and grounds where necessary. After swapping in a pulse coil from an fd 501 which uses 2 pulse coils. It will fire but only until the CDI circuits warm up then it quits. key off for a few seconds and it comes back to life. BAD CDI. It also is out of time in the ignition and fires when all three pickup points pass the pulse coil on the flywheel. 1 2 and R . I assume that it is unable to determine the exact position of the crankshaft. So I will order a new CDI and pulse coil for 318.00 bucks. Just for the sake of curiosity, why do these engines require carburetor heaters? This is a new one to me. Last question. the right rear axle tube is leaking gear oil. By the looks of the jdpc diagram it looks like a mother to replace. Anyone ever change an inner grease seal on these?

Thanks
    By the way, this is where I found the CDI for $274 they are in southern mississippi.
    https://farmerssupply.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast