Thread: New/old gator owner in Oregon

Thanks

New/old gator owner in Oregon

Hi all,
    I just traded my old PUG articulated UTV and Prime Mover motorized wheelbarrow for an AMT 600 Gator. I really like the wide stance and hydraulic dump bed plus it goes a lot faster than my old PUG. Which is actually a bit of a problem that I would like some advice on. We have a very steep driveway. Going up is great but going down, I either have to ride the breaks or have it in reverse, and give it a little gas when it starts moving too fast. (is this going to damage the transmission?)
    Also, the parking brake knob seems to be broken off so I can't set it. Any ideas for a fix?
    Anyway, I love my new Gator and have named him Johny. (I name all my equipment and vehicles)

Cheers from Newport Oregon,
    Steve

Thanks
    Welcome aboard ! I can't help with your questions but give it some time and I am sure someone will come along that will be extremely helpful. We have some real talent (not me) on this board.

Dan - NJ

Thanks
    I'm not an engineer and don't know how the gator transmission is designed but my gut tells me riding one direction while your transmission wants to go the opposite way will damage it eventually. The obvious answer to me is to check the braking system and adjust if needed for better braking while going down hill. Or you could try going down hill in a zig-zag manner at an angle taking some of the gravity out of your down hill ride.

Thanks
    Having the tranni in reverse isn't the best of ideas, it puts a lot of stress on it to try to slow it down by letting it slip but in your instance the belt is the only thing sliding. I usually let it roll a bit until its going full speed then slow back down again then keep doing that until I'm at the bottom of the hill. Just make sure if it is gear that you don't let the wheels push the engine faster than it is supposed to rev.
    -JD AMT 626
    -JD 855
    -JD 322
    -Quadrunner 250
    -Quadrunner 280 (Project)
    -Big Red 200es
    -Skidoo Mach 1
    -Yamaha DT 175