After troubleshooting the Gator (the other most recent thread in this subforum that I wrote) I found out it was the solenoid on the starter that was bad. Anyways, long story short, I went ahead and bought a new solenoid and starter combo from Auto Zone and hooked it up. It started up great. I shut the engine off, waited maybe 15 seconds, then restarted successfully. I probably did that 4-5 times, then walked away and came back 10 minutes later. When I cranked the engine at that point, it had a nasty screech/grinding noise and you could tell that the engine wasn't turning over at all. It was obviously quite a shock, so I cranked it again maybe 10 seconds later, and the engine started up as it should without any odd noise. It's been a week since I replaced the starter, and it will still very intermittently make the grinding noise at startup. It didn't do it at all today when I started it half a dozen times, but it probably did it a few times all of last week when I started it under different circumstances (cold engine, semi-warm engine, hot engine etc) several dozen times combined. What the heck is causing the noise? Is it a defective starter or solenoid, or is the flywheel busted up or something?