Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: having trouble pulling the trigger

Thanks

Thumbs up having trouble pulling the trigger

I think I may have spent way too much on this forum in that I am sure there are a lot of very satisfied buyers of the JD 825i yet every time I go on the forum I read about all of the problems you folks are having with the machine. I am also looking at the Kubota RTX. I realize they are two different machines with different pros and cons. Yet I don't read about all of the problems with the Kubota...other than it is slow, and doesn't have the trail riding capability of the JD. Once seems like it is a workhorse and the other seems like a high strung thoroughbred. Am I wrong here? Or does the forum just give folks a chance to vent on their issues so those with issues air their problems. Yes I am concerned about a Chinese made engine. But the problems with the JD 825i seem more than just the engine. I would love to know how many owners simply love their machine and aren't facing all of the issues I read about on the forum. The more I try and get educated on the JD825i the more I fear pulling the trigger. Has anyone gone from a Kubota 900 RTX to a JD? Or JD to the Kubota 900 RTX. I have priced both and they are about the same cost. Thank you all. This is a very good forum and it has been very informative. I am just pretty confused right now. Buck

Thanks
    My 825I has almost 100 hrs on it and I've not had a single issue with it. My neighbor has a new Kabota diesel, which exact model I don't know but it looks much the same size as my 825, but they seem satisfied with it. I prefer features the JD has over the Kabota especially the flip up seats, the location of the the shift levers, and a bit more leg room but otherwise I'm sure the Kabota is a good machine. I havn't been able to figure out why some other JD owners have had trouble with their machines. I don't abuse mine in any way, just use it to drive me around my small ranch and pull work trailers and carry tools. Don't use the 4 wheel drive much or the rear axle lock but have on a few occasions in hilly areas. I have a JD 990 tractor and have had a 970 prior to that without any issues so went with the 825 due to the various personal features I liked rather than any concerns about power or reliability. But like I said so far I've not had any issues at all with my 825. One thing I prefer for sure with the 825 is the speed it travels as driving around the property quickly saves me a bunch of time. I can see my neighbor's Kabota is much slower but they don't apparently care about that. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Thanks for your response. I realize that a forum is a good venue to vent about issues that aren't working and my guess is those that don't have problems don't say anything. I will not be beating my machine as it will be used for work mostly and hunting. The speed thing is an issue. But do you really have to go much over 25 miles an hour..maybe. Thanks again. Buck

Thanks
    Even if you only go 25 the 825i has unreal acceleration and will get you there quickly. Overall I'm happy with the switch from my 500....I do have some dislikes but the likes outweigh them

For dislikes
    1) I think the clutching could be set up to lower the low speed rpms and that would be an improvement but then again that would likely kill some of the acceleration. This is the only area I think my RTV 500 beat my new 825i...when you lightly apply throttle to edge up on a trailer or against something while on a hill...the Kubota was so smooth during it's acceleration it was great.

2) The parking brake didn't hold well when I got the unit. I added fluid to the parking brake reservoir and have used it a bit....it works pretty well now.

3) Regular brakes, at first they were lacking but now that they've worn in a bit they work great.

The Pros
    1) Suspension travel....you can blast through the same areas that will bust your kidneys on the Kubota in complete comfort. 9" of suspension travel compared to less than 4" is huge....it's not even in the same league
    2) Power...the 825i rips along with ease...the Kubota can pull a lot in low range but the power isn't even close to comparable with the 825i..the Kubota is adequate but the 825i is actually fun to drive.
    3) Acessories...JD offers tons of accessories for the 825i....I have front brush guard/fender guards....Rear bumper/cargo box guards....floor mats....cv axle guards....all were fairly reasonably priced and seem to be very good quality.
    4) True 4wd....in the snow I've had times when a fourth tire having power would have kept me from having to get my tractor to rescue the Kubota when plowing and getting stuck
    5) Single handle tailgate....doesn't seem like a big deal but I notice it every time I use it....one hand can drop the gate...with my Kubota you needed to hit the two release handles one on each side of gate
    6) Cargo box tie downs...I use the tie downs all the time to strap stuff down...my Kubota didn't have any
    7) Ground clearance... the 825i doesn't get bellied out on logs/rocks nearly as easy as the Kubota did...that's a two fold win up here...my Kubota had dragged enough I was getting some frame damage and a lot of rusting around the middle of my frame.
    8) Tires....the Gator has decent tires available from the factory...I paid extra for the work site Kubota tires and didn't like them so I bought the factory Kubota atv tires and still wasn't 100% satisfied in mud... With the Gator I got Bighorn 2.0's and they are a great tire...not too loud and clean out well.

I think even given the complaints you've read here and other places that most owners would likely prefer the 825i over the RTV if they were given each to demo for a month or so. I bought the Kubota RTV 500 and it was a nice machine...built like a little tank but over time it left me wanting a lot of little things...the Gator helped fill those needs...if I could have spent a couple grand and gotten a long travel suspension kit for the Kubota I likely would still have it...at first I was disappointed I couldn't get one but now I'm glad because the 825i has a lot of improvements I never would have gotten.

Thanks
    I am on several forums, most are motorcycle forums plus this forum because I have 825i Gator. I can tell you that forums are pretty much all the same, if you read each of them you would not ever buy the product if you wanted a perfect vehicle. I personally think that the 825i Gators have had very few problems as compared to other UTV's, I would also say that posters on this forum are all pretty much satisfied with their Gator and would buy again. Remember this is a place to vent your likes and dislikes and some will vent much louder then others. Read other forums on other vehicles and I think you will find them pretty much the same.

John
    Last edited by trainman; 09-14-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Usually found down by my lake or cruising the neighborhood

Thanks
    Thank you for the time to respond to me. I guess I just need a little boost and I think you have given it to me. Buck

Thanks
    I got my 620i used. It was set up for mudding and it was beat to death. Looked like it spent it's life stuck in a deep mud hole. When we got it, there were several issues from abuse and lack of maintenence, but it ran. Over the last couple of years I have been fixing things, and they have been great ever since. I am rough on everything I own, I drive them hard but service them often. This Gator was no exception, especially since it was not brand spanking new, and because I got a very good deal on it. We use it. It's out every weekend blasting through the traiils or pulling out stuck quads and getting itself buried in Florida gumbo swamp mud. The problems I've fixed were from neglect, abuse and normal wear. I've taken it everywhere and it has brought us home. It's common to put over 80 miles on it in a weekend. I think thats pretty impressive. When the time comes, I'm getting the newest equivilent to the 825, but not untill mine has been out to pasture. I absolutly love our Gator.

Two of my friends have Botas, don't know what they are, but big and clumsy. One has the glass cab and A/C, the other does not, they are both new and both diesels. They are like big heavy golf carts with torque. They both have to through the "go-around" trails when we ride. I go right through the deep stuff. They are neet, and would probably be great units for some, but not for what we do. They havent' had any problems with them either and look to be well made but they are very utility. The gator covers sport and utility. A few onths ago, we were all leaving a resturant/bar in our rigs, and I got stopped by the cops for riding on the shoulder and the Bota drove right by. When asked why they didnt stop the Kabota, the cop replied, "Thats the road crew, they collect trash for the county." Hmmmmm, I guess if you chose to get a Bota, avoid the "Road Crew Orange" color!
    I will never let them live that down!

Thanks
    i think one thing you need to remember is that 2011 was the first year for the 825i, am i not correct on that? that being the case most new vehicles have bugs that pop up their first year of production. i have a 2012 model with about 150 hours on it and have not had a single problem. (knock on wood) of course there are lemons in every bunch. i had a scag mower for 6 years and only one minor problem. traded it in for a new one and it was a lemon which they finally replaced. good luck with your decision.
    dj-- Cumberland Plateau, TN

825i power steering, front and rear protection pkgs, power dump, soft top, no scratch w/s, yellow alloy wheels w/maxis big horn radials and more.

Thanks
    I bought a 2012 Gator 855D 3 months ago and I have had no probelms so far(knock on wood). I use it daily on the farm and have put 50 hrs. on it and I would buy the John Deere again if I had it to do over.I like the amount of ground clearance on the Gator vs the Kubota. I have never driven a Kubota other than on the dealers lot but it seemed like it wouldn't be very stable on a hill.The Gator does very well.

Thanks
    thanks for your comments guys. I am getting a lot better feeling. I have a John Deere Utility tractor and have a good relationship with the dealer. I actually felt like a traitor going into the Kubota dealership. Thanks again. Have a great weekend Buck

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast