Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket power steering

Thanks
    Does anybody make a power steering system for the TX?

Thanks
    I would like to find out from someone that has installed this after market EPS (Electonic Power Steering) powered by a 12 volt electric motor; does it feel and perfrom like any other power steering, esspecially stopped and low speed? How hard was it to install, what to look out for and how long it took. Also did you have to do anything to make sure the steering wheel was straight afterwards? If you know the BEST PRICE and from who. I have a 2013 825i with factory delux cab and didn't buy the doors or a heater any deals on this stuff around; how much and where. Don't really want to give up the glove box so I'm not interested in the heater John Deere has to offer, what is the next best thing out there that would fit, run off the engine coolant, etc? And I don't want to lose my cup holders either. Any help of comments on these subject's woul help me a lot before I order something and regret it later

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiervet View Post
    I would like to find out from someone that has installed this after market EPS (Electonic Power Steering) powered by a 12 volt electric motor; does it feel and perfrom like any other power steering, esspecially stopped and low speed? How hard was it to install, what to look out for and how long it took. Also did you have to do anything to make sure the steering wheel was straight afterwards? If you know the BEST PRICE and from who. I have a 2013 825i with factory delux cab and didn't buy the doors or a heater any deals on this stuff around; how much and where. Don't really want to give up the glove box so I'm not interested in the heater John Deere has to offer, what is the next best thing out there that would fit, run off the engine coolant, etc? And I don't want to lose my cup holders either. Any help of comments on these subject's woul help me a lot before I order something and regret it later

Thanks,
    Bill
    I installed the EZ Steer system on my 825i. Actually didn't even have it one week before figuring the ps was a must. The instructions aren't that great, but you have the tools, capable to "figuring things out" as you go to disassembly, the installation is fairly simple. Performance makes steering very easy stopped and low speeds. The only negative I noticed is it feels like the steering "laps" or has a gap, which I think has to do with the angle of the shafts to allow for the steering motor, but it very well could be a function of the electrical motor and the delay with it. I got mine from Super ATV. They will give you a disconnect for mentioning you are a forum member. Of the two systems, best price I could find, and it's plug and play.

Thanks
    Thanks; but you have pretty much seen the power steering perform like any other power steering; turn it sitting still or low speed with one hand on the wheel, etc? Also anything in particular you need to pay attention to; such as making sure the steering wheel is straight when you put it back on; oh yeah did you have to have a puller to remove it to start with? Did you install this EPS on a 825i without factor power steering to start with? Do the connections plug into the factory ECM; and how did you mount the pilot light/trouble code LED for this? In general what if any of it was the most difficult; did you have to have help? About how long did it take to install it? Can I ask how much the unit cost; and was everything with it you will need? Any parts left over

Thanks again,
    Bill

Thanks
    Thanks; but you have pretty much seen the power steering perform like any other power steering; turn it sitting still or low speed with one hand on the wheel, etc? It makes it easier than it was without power steering. Still some variable here, but if on concrete, I can turn the wheel with one finger.

Also anything in particular you need to pay attention to; such as making sure the steering wheel is straight when you put it back on; Nothing, no way really to go wrong putting the wheel back on. Set your wheels straight, align the wheel the way you want, and put in back on the shaft.

oh yeah did you have to have a puller to remove it to start with? Yes, hardest part really. I only had a three prong gear puller, so rigged up some straps to go around the three spokes in the steering wheel. Thought I was going to break the wheel as it took a good amount of pressure but it came loose.

Did you install this EPS on a 825i without factor power steering to start with? Yes, new and without power steering.

Do the connections plug into the factory ECM; They plug in under the dash on the left side to factory connections. The EZ Steer harnass allows for future connections here as well since it plugs to a main power supply.

and how did you mount the pilot light/trouble code LED for this? Well, the wire for this is really short, so not much option with the way it came. I left it under the dash but angled where I can look under and see if needed. Instructions say it is suppose to blink when you turn the key on, but I looked for this and never have seen it blink.

In general what if any of it was the most difficult; Getting the wheel off mainly...the other was just reading between the lines of the instructions on getting the shafts out and back in. For instance, I think the instructions say to remove the clip under the steering wheel and pull the shaft out...once out remove the bottom clip ring; well you, or I, had to slide down the bottom clip with the shaft in place to get the other end to come through the firewall for the removal and have it down on the new shaft to get everything to go back together. Also, the rubber in the firewall interferes some with slip joint in the new shaft, but I rotated it upside down from factory and it seems to stay in place. And the steering rack joint instructions say to use factory bolt, but the joint came with a bolt as the factory one would not work anyway.

did you have to have help? Nope, one man show.

About how long did it take to install it? I actually divided over two nights because once I got the wheel off, didn't have any snap ring pilers, so had to get some. Assuming the wheel comes off ok, the rest can be done in around an hour or so.

Can I ask how much the unit cost; They say you get 10% off for being a forum member, but it is not off the website price since it includes shipping. Don't really know how they applied the disconnect other than it just over 6 for the kit shipped. A dollar is a dollar.

and was everything with it you will need? Except for the tools.

Any parts left over The factory shafts are not reused.

Thanks again,
    Bill
    I'm happy with it after about 12 hours clocked on the machine with it so far. Instructions could be better in regards to step by step, but I'm working on putting a draft control on a tractor and boy did Kubota leave alot to figure out.

The upper angled support is a bit off in the way I think it should look when installed and you will have to cut your plastic tray (only where it fits in the frame) since the bracket bolt takes a part of the slotted notch. My tray never stayed in the notch anyway so it wasn't a big deal.

Can't think of anything else. You can look the instructions up online and go over them. I think you will be happy with the addition of power steering for sure, question is more is it worth the price to you to get it.

Thanks
    Posted in your quote, didn't think it would show up that way...

Thanks

Really appreicate you describing the installation process of the EZ Power Steering

Thank you very much that helped a lot. I am going to order one ASAP.

Thanks again,
    -Bill

Thanks
    Thank you very much that helped a lot. I am going to order one ASAP.

Thanks again,
    -Bill
    Good news...don't hold it against me, but let me know your thoughts afterwards.

Thanks
    The upper angled support is a bit off in the way I think it should look when installed and you will have to cut your plastic tray (only where it fits in the frame) since the bracket bolt takes a part of the slotted notch. My tray never stayed in the notch anyway so it wasn't a big deal.
    I didn't understand this part; is it something you would explain furhter? I assume you are talking about the plastic storeage tray under the hood just to the rear of the radiator area; anything I need to watch out for here? Did you remove the hood or just leave it tilted forward? Didn't think it would be in the way?
    Thanks again,
    Bill

Thanks
    I didn't understand this part; is it something you would explain furhter? I assume you are talking about the plastic storeage tray under the hood just to the rear of the radiator area; anything I need to watch out for here? Did you remove the hood or just leave it tilted forward? Didn't think it would be in the way?
    Thanks again,
    Bill
    The bracket for the motor has a support bar that goes from the bracket up to the gator frame at one of the notches. Pull out the plastic tray you are talking about and you will see a slotted notch each side of the gator where the tray locks in. I was just speaking of the way the support bar lines up with the gator frame itself. Seems to me it would be fabricated for a straight alignment with the frame. I couldn't get mine to line up in line with the frame like I would have expected.

Nothing really to watch out for here, just be sure it is securely attached.

I left the hood on, just tilted up. Be careful working around it reaching down to the shaft and all.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast