Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 550 Overhead Gun Rack

Thanks
    I have a sawed 12 ga that rides in the rack all the time and it stays put no matter what I've done. It holds every gun & scope that I have tried. The only problem I have is that I do a lot of night hunting with lights and vision systems attached to the guns and they don't fit into the rack so well. Scope mounted lights can be easily swiveled to the side when in the rack but bigger stuff like a FLIR needs to be removed.

Thanks
    Dane,

Thanks for your continued help and comments. I feel like you are my very own product tester. Keep me posted on the cool stuff for my 550.

Thanks
    sidebite
    Last edited by sidebite; 01-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Thanks
    Dane: A very nice clean job on the install. Really looks like the weapons are secure and safe during trael. It's amazing what they are coming out with. I am located coastal near MCAS Cherry Point, I take it your more inland?

Larry in NC

Thanks
    I wonder how well this rack would work out with my CANVAS top?
    Doc
    2013 825i
    I live so far out in the boondocks, my TV runs on propane.

Thanks
    I think it would be fine with a canvas top since it mounts of the side ROPS bars and does not touch my roof.

---

I'm in the central part of the state about 20 miles north of Durham.

Thanks
    Dane,

Is that a Ruger Number One? My BIL had one made in the 200th year in 25-06 with a really nice Leopould. He and my SIL split up and somehow she ended up with his guns. She offered to give them to me, and I just didn't feel right taking them. She found someone that gave her a decent price for them. He had several more and they were all nice guns. No cheap stuff in the collection.

Anyway the Ruger Number One is one of the highest class guns that Ruger makes IMHO.
    Doc
    2013 825i

Thanks
    Yes, that is a No. 1. I really like them because you can have a long barrel in a really short package. They are great for in the bush or maneuvering in a small blind.

Thanks
    I didn't get out to mount the rack in the Gator last night. I have it loosely assembled and after studying your pictures some more, I will change the order of two of the brackets before lifting it in place and test fitting.

One other concern occurred to me though. I use an infinitely adjustable sling on my scoped rifle. Not for carrying, but for shooting. I wrap it around my elbow and hold it tight against the forearm with my left hand to steady myself for shooting. Something I learned in the Army and developed as sort of a habit or a crutch, or maybe even a security blanket.

It will be interesting to see whether or not I can tuck the sling above the rifle so it doesn't hang down in my face. OR, maybe the whole thing will be high enough that it won't hang in my face. Even so, part of the appeal of this rack is that if I am near the road, no one driving by can tell that there are guns in the vehicle. The sling hanging down might give that away.

My sling is a heavy leather one, so I don't know if it will stay put like the cloth one on the bolt in your picture.
    Last edited by MBDiagMan; 02-27-2013 at 08:14 AM.
    Doc
    2013 825i

Thanks
    I either flop the strap over the rifle & rack or hold it in place with the velcro strap that secures the gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12